Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwest View Post
I'm glad you brought that up, for I have same sort of question. I've always been told to never, ever use silicone anywhere on a trailer except in the bath. But, the trailer we just got (2012 Vantage) appears to have silicone on the seams on the sides. Are they using silicone on the sides of trailers or is it something else? It's clear, stretchy, and slightly sticky.
I'm guessing your looking at proflex. It comes in white, clear and I think almond. Here's the descriiption from CW, maybe it will help differentiate it from Silicone.

"Developed specifically for RV use, ProFlex Flexible RV Sealant is more elastic than silicone sealants, and has superior adhesion as well. Tripolymer formula displaces water that might be hiding in seams and joints, and ensures a watertight seal. Bonds to virtually every RV material, even when damp, oily or frozen. Long lasting durable and paintable, USA?"

That is the description from CW. Unfortunately, it doesn't say whether it will adhere to silicone or not.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere that Vantage was using Sikaflex adhesives on their roof system and most likely on their end caps and sidewalls also. But to my knowledge, Sikasil GP caulk is available in clear and is a "sister compound" to the sikaflex system, so it is also a possiblity. Either way, it's not silicone, but a "tougher" product that sticks harder and is more waterproof then silicone.

My guess is that like my Springdale, your access doors, windows and probably trim caps are sealed with ProFlex.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #22
outwest

@JRTJH - thank you. That's very helpful. I thought it probably wasn't silicone, but one never knows, especially after one RV dealer I visited a few days ago to try to buy some non self-leveling lap sealant acted like there was no such thing, tried to sell me silicone, and said (after I said, "isn't that the stuff I was told to never, ever, ever use on my RV?") that they use it on RVs all the time.
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #23
Festus2
Site Team

Proflex RV Sealant will not adhere to any sealant containing silicone. According to their website (www.geocelusa.com), "The most common reason a product won't adhere to a substrate is the presence of silicone from a previous application"..
This would mean that you would have to remove and thoroughly clean any silicone-based sealant before applying any other type of sealant - including one that contains silicone. As has been pointed out, silicone won't adhere to silicone.

Which brings me to ask...why does anyone use silicone in the first place when it seems like there are other and perhaps better products out there?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Festus,

You ask "why would anyone use silicone????" Dicor lap sealant is about $12 a tube, Proflex is around $10 and sikaflex is upward of $15 depending on where you can find it. Silicone can be had at HD or Lowe's for $2.75 a tube.

As an inexperienced RV owner, I'd be tempted to use the less expensive stuff, after all, it all looks and smells the same.....

As for dealer's using it, seems to me if one could "charge for Dicor and use silicone" one could increase profitability by a significant margin...... Not that any dealer would ever consider doing that... Just sayin'

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-14-2012, 10:26 AM   #25
Festus2
Site Team

JRTJH -
Notwithstanding the additional cost of Proflex and other non-silicone based sealants, I would venture to say that, by using them from the outset, they may result in:

1) having to do less caulking maintenance in the long term;
2) a superior and longer-lasting product being applied;
3) saving both a lot of time and effort in removing and cleaning silicone sealants; and,
4) only a slight difference in cost over the long haul.

If the manufacturer would start with a non-silicone based sealant/caulking, then it would make the owners' job of re-applying caulking and sealant a lot easier in both time and effort. However, I know this isn't going to happen. As we all know, removing silicone is a pain - everywhere in one's body! And because it is such a pain, people tend to neglect caulking maintenance.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree Festus, I don't know if there's a big problem with silicone coming from the factory, but I am sure that a number of dealer service departments are tempted every day to take the shortcut in the interest of increasing profits. You're so right, trying to deal with the silicone later is a royal pain.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-14-2012, 08:06 PM   #27
kimrb266

We're Moving Up With Our New Springdale

I've been reading on this Forum that the Springdale is Entry Level but where we've come from, we're moving up. We started out with a small pop-up, then to a light weight expandable (Hybrid) travel trailer and now to the Springdale. The Springdale is much better quality and nicer (fancier) than our Hybrid. We have 3 children and the Springdale's floorplan and finishes seems to fit us better.
kimrb266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimrb266 View Post
I've been reading on this Forum that the Springdale is Entry Level but where we've come from, we're moving up. We started out with a small pop-up, then to a light weight expandable (Hybrid) travel trailer and now to the Springdale. The Springdale is much better quality and nicer (fancier) than our Hybrid. We have 3 children and the Springdale's floorplan and finishes seems to fit us better.
RV's come in all flavors, sizes, and price ranges. If you look at the "new and improved" Keystone website, they no longer use price or level as a descriptor, now, it's Standard, Select, Premium and Luxury.

Calling an RV "entry level" doesn't really do much to differentiate it from any other RV. Especially when you compare it to another manufacturer's models. What really muddies the water is that the same appliances, hardware, light fixtures, plumbing, electrical wiring, gas lines, etc are present throughout the RV industry without regard to manufacturer, brand or model.

I suppose what I'm trying to convey is that no matter what RV you choose, if you're satisfied with the fit, finish, quality and livability, then it's logically a "right choice" for you.

Some people get hung up on price being an indicator of quality, but I've seen big dollar RV's sit in service departments just as long as the least expensive models. It really depends on what fits your budget and what features/floorplan works best for you. Enjoy what you have, your family will always remember the fun times regardless of how much the RV cost.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #29
kimrb266

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
RV's come in all flavors, sizes, and price ranges. If you look at the "new and improved" Keystone website, they no longer use price or level as a descriptor, now, it's Standard, Select, Premium and Luxury.

Calling an RV "entry level" doesn't really do much to differentiate it from any other RV. Especially when you compare it to another manufacturer's models. What really muddies the water is that the same appliances, hardware, light fixtures, plumbing, electrical wiring, gas lines, etc are present throughout the RV industry without regard to manufacturer, brand or model.

I suppose what I'm trying to convey is that no matter what RV you choose, if you're satisfied with the fit, finish, quality and livability, then it's logically a "right choice" for you.

Some people get hung up on price being an indicator of quality, but I've seen big dollar RV's sit in service departments just as long as the least expensive models. It really depends on what fits your budget and what features/floorplan works best for you. Enjoy what you have, your family will always remember the fun times regardless of how much the RV cost.

I totally agree. We may have started with a pop-up but our kids have enjoyed seeing the country (9 states this Summer) since my youngest was 16 months old. With our new needs, with pre-teen kids, and dry camping in the future, our new Springdale will do it in spacious comfort. It's not what you use, it's the fun you have while traveling.
kimrb266 is offline   Reply With Quote