Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2022, 09:55 AM   #1
Mike1056

LED Awning Light strips

Just Purchased a slightly used 2020 Cougar 366RDS.
Previous owner replaced the LED strip light under the awning with a
cheap three color strip that has to be plugged in.

I am trying to decide if I want to change it back to OEM or put a Diamond DG52688RF kit on it. I am assuming the OEM hard wired into the the LEDS in the awning arms and had three levels of brightness.

Does anyone have a similar unit and have any recommendations?

Thanks
Mike
Mike1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:00 PM   #2
DBax

I have this same 5th wheel. Bought it new. Yes, the awning lights are hardwired in and have 3 levels of brightness. They can be turned on at the In-Command panel and this sets them at bright. To change brightness level you must go to the awning arm controls outside and change the brightness.

Also, as an FYI, safety recall 20V-398 was issued in August of 2020 for the TV antenna. The wings can come off and cause a traffic hazard as mine did. Keystone will replace it with a dome style Winegard antenna. May want to check it out if yours still has the wing type antenna.

DBax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 01:10 PM   #3
Mike1056

Good News

Thanks for the post dave. I can just purchase a good white strip and three levels of brightness. I just have to pull things apart up near the awning arm and see where the previous owner cut or disconnected the original strip light.

Thanks for the heads up on the antenna. My unit does still have the wing antenna.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-03-2022, 04:05 PM   #4
Mike1056

Can find tie in point

Dave,
I climbed up on a ladder this afternoon and looked at both end of the awning. There is no signs of exiting wiring for a led strip for under the awning. It appears my unit may have come with just the two short strips in the awning rails.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:27 PM   #5
WearyTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1056 View Post
Dave,
I climbed up on a ladder this afternoon and looked at both end of the awning. There is no signs of exiting wiring for a led strip for under the awning. It appears my unit may have come with just the two short strips in the awning rails.
From your response I’m thinking that you looked at the ends of the outer end of the awning. I’ve got a 26RBS and the lights (and their power source) are along the wall of the TT. Different models, I know - but food for thought.
WearyTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 04:38 PM   #6
Mike1056

Led the point

I looked at the top of the awning rails where there attached to the trailer walls. Existing wiring exited the trailer on the right side and went through awning supports to the touch pad on the bottom of the right awning rail. Wires also went from the top of the right rail through the awning material to the left awning rail. There were wre nuts to connect to wires going down the left awning rails the the short led strip in the left awning support. There was no sign of existing wires that would have extended to a led strip under the awning.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:13 PM   #7
DBax

Mike,
Sounds like you have an aftermarket added on LED strip where the awnings attaches to the wall. My awning is a Solera Smart Arm and the only awning lights are one LED strip at each end of the arms up high at the top. Hopefully yours are still in tact. Its plug and play wiring off the arm control. If you need pics let me know and I can post them.

Good luck!
Old 02-04-2022, 04:30 AM   #8
Mike1056

Thats what I thought

Dave,

So your unit only has the two LEDs built into the arms also?
The people that had my unit added a cheap 16' three color strip under the awning that had to be plugged into a power supply every time you set up.
I was thinking the unit came with a white strip there and they replaced it.
So that why I could find where they disconnect anything.

I think I can tie into the left awning arm near the top where there are two sealed wire connector that ties the wires going through the awning to the LEDs in the left awning arm. they are at the top very close to where the strip I want to add will be.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-04-2022, 07:41 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1056 View Post
Dave,

So your unit only has the two LEDs built into the arms also?
The people that had my unit added a cheap 16' three color strip under the awning that had to be plugged into a power supply every time you set up.
I was thinking the unit came with a white strip there and they replaced it.
So that why I could find where they disconnect anything.

I think I can tie into the left awning arm near the top where there are two sealed wire connector that ties the wires going through the awning to the LEDs in the left awning arm. they are at the top very close to where the strip I want to add will be.

Thanks
Mike
Before you cut those wires, do some investigating. Some Solara awnings had speakers in the end caps on the roller tube. Those "wires at the top" may not be 12VDC, but could be speaker wires. Even without "speaker endcaps" the wiring harness may be a "one size fits all"

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led, light