Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2022, 08:29 AM   #1
Gregory

Power

25res 5th wheel,we plugged in Friday air worked everything fine.sometime during the night we lost power to the unit.we switched fridge to propane but batteries where running the whole unit. Power pole checked out,cord was ok I don’t know where to look next. Help please
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:35 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Start at the power pole, how did you verify power?
Is the power cord attached to the trailer or plug in at both ends?

Have you verified power at the trailer breaker panel?
I would physically turn OFF all breakers and then reset them.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:43 AM   #3
Gregory

Tested with tester at pole and female end of the cord,I didn’t check unit plug to see if power is getting to interior panel,now that I’m home with no 50 amp to plug into I was going to use the 30 on a generator to at least power check,I’m assuming inverter would have nothing to do with this issue?
Old 02-06-2022, 08:47 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

inverter will only affect the circuits supplied by the inverter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:53 AM   #5
Gregory

That’s what I thought,guess I’ll keep tracking, thanks
Old 02-06-2022, 09:06 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

For troubleshooting purposes, it shouldn't matter whether you're connected to a 50 amp, a 30 amp or, using a 15 amp adapter, as long as you're supplying some voltage to both legs of your 50 amp trailer power center. The only consideration would be to be sure the adapter does, in fact, send power to both legs at the shore power/adapter plugs.

I'd guess that if you lost "all power in the trailer" (both legs of the 50 amp input) the "first common item" would likely be the trailer power center main circuit breaker. That's the first place where "there's a physical tie to disrupt both legs simultaneously"....

That said, if you have an EMS, make sure that it is functioning properly. If there's an issue, the EMS will "shut down all power to the trailer" from its physical location, either at the power pole with a portable unit or at the installed location if it's a hardwired unit.

So, check your EMS if you have one and check the trailer main power breaker. If you remove the front panel of your power distribution center in the trailer, you can access all the lugs to verify connection and measure voltage with a voltmeter on the screw terminals. BE AWARE OF THE HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH REMOVING THE FRONT PANEL !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
For troubleshooting purposes, it shouldn't matter whether you're connected to a 50 amp, a 30 amp or, using a 15 amp adapter, as long as you're supplying some voltage to both legs of your 50 amp trailer power center. The only consideration would be to be sure the adapter does, in fact, send power to both legs at the shore power/adapter plugs.

I'd guess that if you lost "all power in the trailer" (both legs of the 50 amp input) the "first common item" would likely be the trailer power center main circuit breaker. That's the first place where "there's a physical tie to disrupt both legs simultaneously"....

That said, if you have an EMS, make sure that it is functioning properly. If there's an issue, the EMS will "shut down all power to the trailer" from its physical location, either at the power pole with a portable unit or at the installed location if it's a hardwired unit.

So, check your EMS if you have one and check the trailer main power breaker. If you remove the front panel of your power distribution center in the trailer, you can access all the lugs to verify connection and measure voltage with a voltmeter on the screw terminals. BE AWARE OF THE HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH REMOVING THE FRONT PANEL !!!!!
Great advice John, it should also be noted that the main breaker in a RV works backwards compared to a house panel. The power comes into the wire end screw terminals, and delivers it to the lugs on the buss.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power