Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2022, 10:39 AM   #1
kckyle

2011 passport GT or 2018 Hideout. advice please

I'm looking at buying my first TT on a budget and hoping this community is willing to give me some pre purchase advice.

I found a 2011 passport ultra lite 2590BH that is a really great layout for me but to get one of these in my price range its going to need some work. This one has a little delimitation, the counter edge is coming off a little, the couch has been replaced with residential and the dinette is missing. all the mattresses are trashed, the graphics are cracking, etc etc. However, I dont see any water damage and it actually seems pretty solid for the most part. I really like the high end features like ducted AC, enclosed and heated underbelly, better insulation, aluminum/fiberglass structure, I'm placing a lot of value on the thermostat controlling both heat and AC and having the option to leave the fan running and having high and low fan speed.(when we rented an RV the heat coming on and off was tough to sleep through and I'm hoping leaving the fan running will help) The other big factor over the newer rigs in the same price range is the big slide out. I keep finding myself going back to this one but I'm worried I might be getting myself into a big mess buying something older like this and the allure of a fancier looking interior with modern furniture and appliances is tough to give up.

The other option is to buy a newer rig without a slide. I found a 2018 Hideout LHS thats just a little more and looks amazing. It doesn't have the slide, ducted AC, enclosed underbelly, etc etc. There is also a 2017 Heartland prowler lynx for even less than the 2011 passport and its also super nice but also lacking the higher end features.

What are your thoughts. Will I be happier buying the older, higher end unit and fixing it up a bit or would it be better to get something lower end thats much newer and have less problems to deal with?

This is a rig I'm wanting to place at my farm so I have a warm place to take a break when working out there and a place to hangout with the kids on the weekends. I won't be towing it around. I will be wanting to use it in the summer and winter in as low as 25 degree temps from time to time.

I'm really torn on what to do and appreciate any advice.
kckyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:46 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

First off what is your tow vehicle? What is the GVWR rating? Then what are the weights of the trailers?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:48 AM   #3
kckyle

I have an armada with 8500lb tow rating. all the rigs Im looking at have GVRW of 7500 or less. Also, I'm not going to be towing it around. Only to get repairs if needed. Its going to sit at my farm until I build a cabin.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:52 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Got it, but even if your only towing it for repairs, your armada needs to be rated for it. Tow ratings mean squat in the real world. What’s the GVWR of the Armada and how much does it weigh?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:59 AM   #5
kckyle

Oh dang I was thinking I'm good just based off those numbers. I went and looked at my door tag and its says the armada GVWR is 7500lb. I did not see a vehicle weight but google says its 5500-6000lbs. Does that mean I have 1500lbs for tongue weight and whatever is inside my vehicle? Thanks for your help.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:02 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

If your GVWR is 7500 lbs, I would spend the money and get it weighed with anything you would have when towing. Take that number and 75 pounds for a hitch, then subtract that from the 7500 to get available load capacity.

Then use the GVWR of the prospective trailer and multiply it by 13% for an estimate of tongue weight. You might be suprised.

Old 01-08-2022, 11:56 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

If your going to set it up permanently, i.e. connect it to water, electric, sewer, on your property I would look for a used mobile home (manufactured house). You may be able to get a much larger home delivered and set up. Older used mobile homes typically go for very little money. That is of course if local code allows it. Check with the building dept as they may not allow living in a camper either.

My BIL bought 7 acres and had a home built. The county said no to him using his camper to live in so his family ended up in a cg for about 6 months.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
jasin1

Marshall has a good point about zoning…may want to build a open ends pole barn and stick the trailer inside…that way you don’t have to worry as much about the roof or delamination …let the next owner renovate it.

Then you can use the pole barn for storage after the cabin is built
Old 01-08-2022, 02:40 PM   #9
travelin texans

Typically any delamination indicates a water leak usually from the roof. That repair could really involved if walls, roof & floors are also damaged & mold forming.
I would agree with checking the weights even for your short tow to its permanent location. The Armada was/is designed to be a people mover & grocery getter, they were not designed as tow vehicles for more than a small boat or a utility trailer with a couple snowmobiles or jet skis. The 28-30' rvs you've mentioned are beyond it's capabilities to tow safely within its limits.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 05:58 PM   #10
kckyle

I appreciate the feedback and concern for my tow vehicle. I totally agree the armada is a poor choice for a tow vehicle. I would not want to tow heavy loads on a regular basis or long distance. However, I think you guys are underestimating the armada. The tow ratings are better than lots of 1/2 ton trucks. It has a factory trailer bake controller so I think Nissan built it with some towing in mind. I tow my 6000+ pound boat through the ozarks without issue and I have towed two 7500 GVWR rental travel trailers on short trips and it did just fine.

Given my situation of only towing it on rare occasions I think it'll be fine.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:15 PM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckyle View Post
I appreciate the feedback and concern for my tow vehicle. I totally agree the armada is a poor choice for a tow vehicle. I would not want to tow heavy loads on a regular basis or long distance. However, I think you guys are underestimating the armada. The tow ratings are better than lots of 1/2 ton trucks. It has a factory trailer bake controller so I think Nissan built it with some towing in mind. I tow my 6000+ pound boat through the ozarks without issue and I have towed two 7500 GVWR rental travel trailers on short trips and it did just fine.

Given my situation of only towing it on rare occasions I think it'll be fine.
You very well may be, but if your involved in an accident, even not your fault, I bet weights and such will become a big question. I wish you all the best, just don’t want to see you lose everything.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:17 PM   #12
kckyle

Great point. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #13
crowbar

I wouldn't even consider swapping out my Armada. Like you said, it would only be moved on rare occasions for repair etc. If you're uncomfortable about towing it, just rent or borrow a bigger truck for the day or pay somebody to tow it. Otherwise have someone come out to repair it on site.

"He was bred in Kentucky, but he's just a crumb out here." - Curly Howard
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:22 PM   #14
kckyle

I ended up buying a 2017 31' Keystone Bullet 272BHS with a GVWR of 7500 pounds. Towed it an hour home and felt very safe. My thought exactly that I could always rent truck if needed.
Old 01-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #15
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I ended up buying a 2017 31' Keystone Bullet 272BHS with a GVWR of 7500 pounds. Towed it an hour home and felt very safe. My thought exactly that I could always rent truck if needed.
Congratulations! Looks like a great floor plan and I have a couple suggestions based on personal experience. First the show/tub will be OK for tiny children as it is very narrow. Get an articulating shower rod to allow the shower curtain to be moved away from an adult. My shower/tub is 2' wide and I am wider than that and can't stand a shower curtain sticking to me... well you get the idea:

https://www.campingworld.com/extend-...s&gclsrc=3p.ds

Also you TV will give you a stiff neck watching from your sofa. See this thread on articulating TV mounting I posted awhile back:

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ght=television
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:00 PM   #16
kckyle

Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I need all I can get. The previous owner must have upgraded the tv mount because it does come out and turn toward the sofa. I was really happy to see that.

I actually ordered that articulating shower rod a few hours ago. I do have a question though. My flimsy shower surround goes almost to the ceiling. Do you think it will be okay to mount it right on the shower surround if I can find something solid behind it? Thanks
Old 01-24-2022, 03:53 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Thanks, I really appreciate the advice. I need all I can get. The previous owner must have upgraded the tv mount because it does come out and turn toward the sofa. I was really happy to see that.

I actually ordered that articulating shower rod a few hours ago. I do have a question though. My flimsy shower surround goes almost to the ceiling. Do you think it will be okay to mount it right on the shower surround if I can find something solid behind it? Thanks
In my camper, there was a rail where the curtain hung that was mounted to the ceiling in the bathroom. I removed it, filled the holes and painted over them. I hung the new articulating rod above the surround. I have also replaced the surround and it is about 2" shorter than the old one so there was plenty of room. my original surround didn't leak on the tub part but the upper surround part had plenty of cracks. I also went to Home Depot and bought some splash guards that are about 18" and mounted on the tub and surround on the ends so water doesn't get by the curtain when showering.
I did put a stainless steel screw through the splash guards as the self stick backing didn't hold well on the surround and then caulked them in with a bead of clear silicon caulk. I put one on both ends but likely only needed the one on the end where the water spigot is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14407504612...3ABFBM_PzhvtFf
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout, passport