Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
GarryWolfe

Bunkhouse Slide Cougar 32RDB

Just picked up a 2020 Cougar 32RDB and noticed the slide on the bunkhouse (rack and pinion type) tilts in at the top when fully extended. On the inside, the bottom and top are flush against the seal but measuring outside, the top is in about 2" compared to the bottom. My concern is that when it rains, water will run back towards the camper rather than away from it and possibly leak. The main slide (cable driven type) seems level top to bottom.

This is our first camper with slides. Is this something that is normal? Is there an adjustment that needs to be made? It is at the dealer for some unrelated warranty work and I brought this up to them as something to look at as well. Just curious for my own knowledge if anyone else has experienced this and if it caused any problems. It seems sealed from the inside, but I don't want to wind up with leaks when it rains.
GarryWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:34 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Dud the dealer do anything with your slide?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:08 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Any slide no matter the type should seal on all surfaces. There are adjustments that can be made to achieve that and your dealer needs to take the time to assure that it does. I have seen what you describe a few times and fixed it in less than 1/2 hr.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #4
GarryWolfe

Dealer is looking at it today, so I should know shortly.

Thats the thing Chuck, it seems like it is sealed all the way around when I fully extend the slide when checking with my fingers behind the flange on the inside. However, looking at the outside, the top of the slide does not extend out as far as the bottom (out of plumb). I even tried to extend the slide out to the point it was plumb on the outside. At that point, the top edge was against the seal at the top but at the bottom, there was a 1-2" gap between the flange and the seal.

I'm an engineer by trade, so mechanical things aren't really a mystery to me, but I'm not familiar with the construction of slides. If the flange is adjustable all the way around, I can see how that could be out of adjustment and cause this. But not knowing how the slide box is made...I'm just guessing. I didn't "deep dive" into it as it is still under warranty and I'm the type where if I figure something out, I'll try to fix it. Remaining ignorant is my method to keep myself out of trouble. Hehe!
GarryWolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:50 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

The Horseshoe (Facia) is attached to the slide box and acts as the “stop” when the slide is extended. The roof should be Level or slightly slopes AWAY from the unit.

Sounds like they need to take some measurements and check gaps at the top and bottom of the vertical facias when extended.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
Harleyworkin#78

We have a new 2020 34TSB Cougar and have experienced leaks in MB on left side of bed and from speaker on left side as you enter RV. Took it in for repair and they fixed the bed problem. Understand water was coming in from LED light above window. Water still coming in from white vent on top. It is between back slideout and steps on top of roof. Put a bucket on it and it stops. We think it splashes in when raining hard on the white vent on top. Talking with Keystone and Camping World to resolve problem again. Seems like a Keystone issue as the two vents need covers to keep water from entering RV on down pours.
Harleyworkin#78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, slide