Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2019, 07:17 AM   #1
1av8tr

Help, need to install 110 volt outlet

I have a 2018 Bullet 272BHS. It did not come with an electrical (110V) outlet at the base of the double bunks. My understanding is some previous years did have an outlet installed there. I opened up the bottom bunk and looked underneath. The hot water heater is there along with the outdoor shower housing. I am trying to find a place to tap into 110V. There is 110V under there but it is for the hot water heater. I was told not to tap into that because the hot water heater needs a dedicated 110V line. That is completely understandable. The only Romex cable I see under there is coming from the floor into what looks like a junction box, and then into the hot water heater. Can anyone provide assistance as to where to tap into? I did open the 110V outlets at the head of the bunks, but the Romex is heading up into the ceiling. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
1av8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1av8tr View Post
I have a 2018 Bullet 272BHS. It did not come with an electrical (110V) outlet at the base of the double bunks. My understanding is some previous years did have an outlet installed there. I opened up the bottom bunk and looked underneath. The hot water heater is there along with the outdoor shower housing. I am trying to find a place to tap into 110V. There is 110V under there but it is for the hot water heater. I was told not to tap into that because the hot water heater needs a dedicated 110V line. That is completely understandable. The only Romex cable I see under there is coming from the floor into what looks like a junction box, and then into the hot water heater. Can anyone provide assistance as to where to tap into? I did open the 110V outlets at the head of the bunks, but the Romex is heading up into the ceiling. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
You should be able to tap into that line. If it is the last outlet on that circuit tap off the outlet itself. If not you can add a junction box and than feed both outlets (old and new) from it. Hope this helps. It goes without saying ...BE SURE TO DISCONNECT SHORE POWER FIRST!!!.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 AM   #3
1av8tr

Thank You! Are you talking about tapping into the hot water heater line or the outlet at the head of the bunk?
Old 05-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #4
linux3

The hot water heater is fused for (I don't know) but it's way more than the 15 AMPS that regular plugs are fused for. DO NOT tap into the hot water heater line.
You could wind up melting or starting a fire from whatever is plugged into that line because it's designed for a 15 AMP circuit.
Find an outlet circuit that you will not be using for anything else and extend that circuit.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

The WH 110VAC is on a 15 or 20A breaker. He will fine tapping into the junction box at the water heater.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
John&Genny

Just be careful on what you plug into those outlets once you get it wired. In other words, I would NOT suggest having an electric heater plugged into the outlets at the same time you are running the hot water heater or you might be looking for a tripped breaker in short order
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
1av8tr

Thank You!
Old 05-15-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
1av8tr

I think I’m going to try and tap into the outlets at the head of the bunks.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:37 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1av8tr View Post
I think I’m going to try and tap into the outlets at the head of the bunks.
I think tapping into the bunk outlet is the better of the two options. Either will work, but if you tap into the water heater line, you do run the risk of having problems with a tripped circuit breaker if you plug a "high amp" item (heater, hair dryer, etc) into that secondary plug and the water heater element is on or if it "calls to be on" while the other item is operating.

My recommendation, for what it's worth, is to check to see what size ROMEX is on the bunk plug and use that same size ROMEX so you'll have appropriate amperage ratings for your extension. It's OK to "size up" the ROMEX extension, but it's dangerous to "size down" with a smaller gauge wiring. To keep things simple, just use the same size as the rest of the circuit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
1av8tr

Thank You! I decided to tap into the outlet at the head of the lower bunk.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:51 AM   #11
Pull Toy

Good choice. It might be a little more work, but you will have power to the outlet, even when the electric water heater switch is not turned on.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:58 AM   #12
1av8tr

Thank You!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
sonofcy

Current is drawn NOT pushed. Always safe to add lower consumer to higher provider but unsafe the other way around. Now that does not mean it will work if breaker is 20A and heater is kicking on while a high draw whatever he is adding also kicks in at the same time which will trip the breaker so that the wiring to both is saved from overload. Is using propane for water heater an option? More information is needed like what he wants to plug in.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote