Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2014, 05:42 AM   #1
alien_scones

$1,400 for alignment

I noted one tire ( DS Rear ) had excessive wear so I took the 2012 Laredo 300RB to the dealer ( that I am mostly happy with ) for an alignment.

Below is the reply from the service rep. I am a little taken aback that the alignment - or whatever parts - are not adjustable, thus an incredible upsell opportunity for the service department.

My first reply to them is, well if it can't be adjusted then replace it with my Route 66 warranty. While I wait for their enthusiastic reply, can anyone chime in on this? Is this normal?

I am getting new maxxis tires in a couple weeks and don't want to see them get chewed up over a short 3,000 mile trip.
Quote:
The only way to fix this is to replace shackles and hanger plates. The reason that we have to do this is the factory shackles and bushings are not adjustable. Our solution is to install two products Correct Track and Equa-flex. Once these are installed we will not have a problem adjusting the alignment at a later date.

Correct Track and Equa-Flex is $1.399.00 plus tax installed. You can Google these products for more info.

P/S 20.18ft 32 1/2 ck
D/S 20.17ft 33 ck
1/2 “ off alignment
alien_scones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
Javi

If they don't fix it under your extended warranty (probably not) I'd call around to the truck and trailer alignment places and find one that can do the work. There are plenty of them around Ft Worth. It'll more than likely be a lot cheaper than the RV dealer anyway.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

I gotta agree with Javi that's a lot of coin. a good truck shop can do it for a lot less.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Correct track from Lippert is $336 and it's available from Dyers RV for $239. The Equaflex kit from Lippert is $331 and is available from Tweety's RV for $169.80.

Mor-ryde produces the CRE-3000 system for a comparable system (many claim it is superior to Equaflex). It is available from Makarios RV for $229.88.

So parts can be obtained for about $400. That's quite a "labor charge" to get you up and running. I agree with Javi, find a trailer maintenance/repair facility and get another estimate.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
jtyphoid

After taking a good look at the suspension of my triple axle fiver with AL-KO 6000 lb leaf spring axles, I wonder about the whole alignment thing.

I found that the springs sit on flanges that are welded to the axle. The springs have a hole that fits over an alignment locator on the flange, so no adjustment is possible.

The bottom line is that the only ways that my suspension can be out of alignment are manufacturing errors (spring hangers welded to the frame or flanges welded to the axle in the wrong place), worn parts (shackles and equalizers ) or damage (bent axle).

Of those things, the only one that I would consider for an "alignment" would be correcting a bent axle, and even then, I would most likely want to replace it due to possible weakening. For everything else, I would want to fix the underlying cause instead of applying an aftermarket "alignment" system.

Maybe Dexter or other suspension systems are different and could benefit from alignment, but I don't see how mine can.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with you jtyphoid. There's not much adjustment in trailer axles. If you have one tire wearing and you adjust the straight axle to accommodate that, you're throwing the opposite wheel out and it will start to wear. Maybe the "conventional thinking" is to average the wear, but that's not aligning any of the wheels to "straight ahead" rather it's moving the whole axle to accommodate wear at one end. Since the hub assemblies and wheels are fixed in position on the axle tube, you can't adjust a single wheel in either castor, cambor or position ( unless you destroy the alignment of the opposite wheel).

From what I "read into the conversation" at the factory (I was not told this, I surmised it) the "correct track" is becoming an "extra cost option" (as a part of a mandatory optional package) on many of the brand lines. I'm wondering if it's a way to put an aftermarket correction on the chassis so that engineering tolerances can be relaxed to cut costs in manufacturing... It's a "win/win" if the customer "gets a fancy gadget" and Lippert gets to relax their standards.....

I'm confused on why this system is supposed to be good

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
lawdes

I had a tire ruined because of extremely rapid wear. A stop along the way at a truck repair place confirmed my axle was bent. He put a jack under the offending part of the axle, and re-bent it back, but told me it wouldn't hold. It didn't. Before I got home, the metal was coming thru the tire. Keystone replaced both axles with larger diameter axles, but still the same capacity. They seem to be working fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
lawdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:00 AM   #8
Bigiron

Stop by a heavy truck alignment shop. There is a two part adjustment plate (thrust alignment plate) that goes in between the axle and axle pad. It has a hole for the spring and a pin for the spring to sit in. Once the alignment is achieved, it tightened down and you're good to go. Take a look at Specialty Products.

2016 Impact 311
2002 F-250 7.3 (retired, but still own)
2016 F-350 6.7 Platinum
2010 EZGO
Bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
Johnny's Journey

One tire only wearing and not two on the same axle is a bent axle. No axle relocating is going to fix that. But your already thinking that. Good for you.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Just a "custodial note": The original post in this thread is dated June 6, 2014, over 3 years ago. The latest post (not including the "revival" yesterday) is dated June 10, 2014. Commenting on the problem and how to fix it is "3 years too late" for the OP. If there's a more current issue with axle alignment, starting a new thread would likely serve a more pointed focus.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #11
Johnny's Journey

Are threads not searchable ?
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #12
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

They are searchable, but many times the original participants are long gone, reviving the old thread serves no purpose as opposed to using the old information and starting a new thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:11 AM   #13
Bigiron

Yea, I see the date now. For whatever reason it showed as a new post right under the refrigerator thread. Well, I suppose if somebody searches, my addition will possibly provide somebody a solution so there may be "some" value there.

2016 Impact 311
2002 F-250 7.3 (retired, but still own)
2016 F-350 6.7 Platinum
2010 EZGO
Bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote