Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
turbopilot51

12 volt breakers

Our 2012 Alpine 3500RE has three 12 volt breakers in the battery compartment. I assume two are 50 amps but what is the other?
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The amperage is stamped on the can (the metal container.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
Our 2012 Alpine 3500RE has three 12 volt breakers in the battery compartment. I assume two are 50 amps but what is the other?
Why do you assume two are 50 amps? Because your rig has "50 amp service"? That is a bad assumption, since "50A service" refers only to the 120V wiring.

As JRTJH indicated, the trip rating is written on the side of the breaker.

If you are actually asking what are the breakers for, one is usually the main, one usually protects the landing gear, and one usually protects the remote control module. Following the wires will reveal which is which.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by diugo View Post
Why do you assume two are 50 amps? Because your rig has "50 amp service"? That is a bad assumption, since "50A service" refers only to the 120V wiring.

As JRTJH indicated, the trip rating is written on the side of the breaker.

If you are actually asking what are the breakers for, one is usually the main, one usually protects the landing gear, and one usually protects the remote control module. Following the wires will reveal which is which.
The reason I "assume" is because of the #6 gauge wire which is used for 50amps. I cannot believe Keystone would use that size wire if it were not 50 amps. That would be a waste and these rigs are built to minimal standards. That's why.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot51 View Post
The reason I "assume" is because of the #6 gauge wire which is used for 50amps. I cannot believe Keystone would use that size wire if it were not 50 amps. That would be a waste and these rigs are built to minimal standards. That's why.
Well, that too is an incorrect assumption. Large wire is used simply to minimize voltage drop on the long run from the battery to the distribution center. My DC breakers were only rated 30A---imagine that.
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

6 ga wire is normally used for 50 amp AC service. but 6 ga and 4 ga are used in 12 VDC circuits to help reduce voltage drops as stated. There is no correlation to wiring size when comparing AC and DC (other than DC wiring is almost always bigger)

If you look at your three circuit breakers, there is a breaker value on the can. I'm guessing that they are all three 30 amp breakers since that is the usual 12 VDC distribution breakout for Keystone products.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
turbopilot51

I finally heard back from Keystone on the size of the 12 volt breakers.The breakers are 50,30 & 6amp. Really, 6 amps? Must be for the back electric stabilizer jacks.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If you got your information from Keystone's customer service department, I'd doublecheck for accuracy. There are literally hundreds of posts in this forum indicating the lack of consistency in how Keystone builds their RV's and how they are wired. The customer service may have given you "what is supposed to be installed" but you may well find (as others here have) that the "supposed to" and the "actually is" are two different things much of the time.

If you are going to be replacing the breakers, it would definitely benefit you to verify that what you're taking out is the same as what Keystone said it is.

Good luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS