Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2022, 06:13 AM   #1
moultonpsc

Removal of entertainment cabinet

Bought a 2005 sprinter 303BHS which has some water damage to the wall and floor of the camper. Problem is that it is behind and under the entertainment cabinet leading to the bunkhouse! How do I remove the cabinet without completely ruining it so I can reuse it after I repair the wall and floor! It has the electrical panel and the hvac thermostat built in to the cabinet. Any advice or information would be most helpful. Thanks Mike
moultonpsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:32 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by moultonpsc View Post
Bought a 2005 sprinter 303BHS which has some water damage to the wall and floor of the camper. Problem is that it is behind and under the entertainment cabinet leading to the bunkhouse! How do I remove the cabinet without completely ruining it so I can reuse it after I repair the wall and floor! It has the electrical panel and the hvac thermostat built in to the cabinet. Any advice or information would be most helpful. Thanks Mike
I am pretty sure I have no idea what our entertainment cabinet looks like. Pictures would help. I doubt anyone will be able to tell where in the cabin this cabinet is located. Have you fixed the leak yet? Have you examined the roof? On an older camper, the roof maintenance may have been neglected and that should be taken care of ASAP.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:44 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

As far as removing it, look at the framework. There should be screws through the 1X1 framing into the wall and floor.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:25 AM   #4
travelin texans

! How do I remove the cabinet without completely ruining it so I can reuse it after I repair the wall and floor? (QUOTE)

VERY CAREFULLY!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:41 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Saw a pic of the entertainment center which is located on an interior wall between bunkhouse and cabin. It is floor to ceiling. The electrical wires will be a chore to pull then replace. Take off all the outside panels you can as well as the doors. As noted, hunt for screws going through the 1x1 framing and there will be some that are very hard to see so get a mirror and check towards the front and other hard to see locations. Probably screwed through the top, back, maybe the outside wall and definitely the floor.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
jsb5717

I agree that pics would help. Can you see areas where the cabinet is up against the wall? As suggested you might find 1x1 cleats that are screwed to the wall and the cabinet screwed through the cleat from the interior to the cabinet. That would be best case. However, I've also seen cabinet paneling stapled to the cleats from the exterior of the cabinet with another interior panel stapled from the interior. It makes a nicer finish but also buries the cleat in the cabinet wall. That's more worst case scenario.

But, again, pics of the inside of the cabinet and the wall would be helpful in providing guidance.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 03:31 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Found a pic of his entertainment center online:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	entertainment.png
Views:	112
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	39804  
Old 05-19-2022, 04:20 AM   #8
moultonpsc

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice, next time I will add pics. Cabinet is out, time to repair the water damage and reinstall the cabinet.
moultonpsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:44 AM   #9
jsb5717

Glad you got it out. I may have missed it but did you discover the source of the water damage and get that repaired already?
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:15 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Just as a side note. an inexpensive moisture meter can really come in handy in these situations. They are battery powered anmd have 2 sharp probes that you can pierce flooring or wall paper to get to the surface below. The meter will give you the moisture content of the wood (or drywall in a house) and you can tell where the water intrusion is and how far it transits so you know how far it's involved before tearing things apart. It comes in real handy when checking for walls as you can tell where the moisture is or isn't. For example a if a wall is dry under a window and the floor is moist then you know the water likely came in from below. If the wall is wet above the window then start with the roof or drip rails, awning rail, etc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote