Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
parttime1

condensation on windows

Hello all I have a 2020 Cougar 26RBS and in my first sub freezing trip I noticed water puddled on the bottom of the window sill over the bed and the sun shade was frozen to the inside of the windshield. Any suggestions on how to stop the condensation from building up?
parttime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttime1 View Post
Hello all I have a 2020 Cougar 26RBS and in my first sub freezing trip I noticed water puddled on the bottom of the window sill over the bed and the sun shade was frozen to the inside of the windshield. Any suggestions on how to stop the condensation from building up?
Crack a window &/or roof vent.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 04:12 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Unless you stop breathing and also don’t use the stove/oven, you will have humidity inside and it will condense on the coolest/least insulated surfaces (like windows). Ventilation, dry heat, and maybe a dehumidifier are all part of the solution. I am sure some of the full-timers will chime-in with other ideas.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:26 PM   #4
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Unless you stop breathing and also don’t use the stove/oven, you will have humidity inside and it will condense on the coolest/least insulated surfaces (like windows). Ventilation, dry heat, and maybe a dehumidifier are all part of the solution. I am sure some of the full-timers will chime-in with other ideas.
Nail on the head!
Bedroom windows are the worst as you expel a lot warm moist air when sleeping. Were you at a campsite or boondocking?
We full time and now have two dehumidifiers large (30 pint) in living area and small desktop unit in bedroom.
Always run bathroom fan when showering and for about 15 to 20 minutes after. Our range hood exhaust outside and run when cooking. We have single lane windows, and use the inside shrink storm windows.
Dry heat is either electric or gas furnace, gas space heaters (catalytic) will add moisture to the air, they require ventilation to be safe.
We don’t like drafts, so no open windows or vents, except as mentioned before.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 08:22 PM   #5
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttime1 View Post
We have the 26RBSWE, so we don't have that window over the bed. But the condensation problem throughout the TT is the same. We found that putting the silver bubble wrap between the window and the window shade helps eliminate it. Originally we only put them in the windows during camping trips in the high heat. But it helps keep out the cold and reduces the condensation too.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:18 AM   #6
RV-burrito

We run a dehumidifier in the front and 1 in the back.

Here's a business idea: Make a food grade dehumidifier that cycles clean water back into your fresh tank. Haha!
1978 Georgie Boy (Dodge Chassis) currently being remodeled
RV-burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:44 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're seeing condensation on the windows, it simply means there's "too much humidity" inside the trailer. What you don't see is the condensation in other areas that can damage or even destroy your RV.

Places like where the mattress touches the exterior wall, behind the sofa, inside the dinette storage areas (along the exterior wall) are all "cooler than the air inside the trailer" and the moisture in the air will condense in those places, make things "wet" and set up a perfect mold growth environment.

Also check under the mattress if you have a passthrough storage area under the bed. The passthrough is much cooler than the trailer interior and there's little/no insulation in the roof of the passthrough section, so under the mattress stays cold and that sets up condensation under the mattress and inside the bed storage area.

If the windows are wet, you really need to be pro-active to keep the above areas dry or you'll discover some significant mold issues in the spring.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #8
Ram Nation

Burrito you're right

Kinda hard to keep windows open when it's in the 30s. Like burrito says get a good dehumidifier or two. No brainer for anyone whose been around wet places.
Ram Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 06:31 AM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Crack a window &/or roof vent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Nation View Post
Kinda hard to keep windows open when it's in the 30s. Like burrito says get a good dehumidifier or two. No brainer for anyone whose been around wet places.
Totally agree, this may work if camping in the rain and temp is in the 50's or so, but when cold out one needs to control moisture from the inside.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:05 AM   #10
JDDilly

What do people have for a dehumidifier? I have been looking for a couple smaller ones that are easy to travel with and store when not needed. We are taking our 1st retirement trip in March and April. Starting next winter, we plan to get out on Minnesota for about 4 months.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 07:12 AM   #11
jasin1

This is what I have…nice unit and compact
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1B97E4F-4B57-4374-B9DA-87F7E54FEEA3.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	38248  
Old 02-06-2022, 07:30 AM   #12
Ram Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
This is what I have…nice unit and compact
+1 on the Haier. We bought two when moving into our Alpine. Normally just the one in the living room area will suffice but when the wife does laundry with our Splendide washer she turns it on in the bedroom. She air drys the clothes and it helps with the moisture immensely. Plus humidity down here in southern Texas is always high. It's a must for sure too have dehumidifiers. The open window thing won't cut it.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:39 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
What do people have for a dehumidifier? I have been looking for a couple smaller ones that are easy to travel with and store when not needed. We are taking our 1st retirement trip in March and April. Starting next winter, we plan to get out on Minnesota for about 4 months.

IMO whatever you do DO NOT get any dehumidifier that uses dessicant. It was not meant for dehumidifying a space as large as an RV and does not pull an appreciable amount of moisture out of the air - btdt.

The dehumidifiers that do an excellent job a removing moisture use a compressor. They come in various sizes. I've had a 35 pint but it was a bit too large and now carry an 11 pint (memory) that does the job but I wouldn't go smaller - I empty it twice a day here in FL. Jasin linked a 20 pint which would probably be ideal if you can find one.

We come from an arid climate and are used to very low humidity. Neither of us like it but we like to stay in humid areas which mandates the dehumidiers. Prior to using them we had issues with condensation on the windows, walls etc. as well as having a hard time sleeping feeling like we were "stuck" to the blankets from the moisture. Tried a couple of the dessicant "dehumidifiers" because of their size and low cost - might as well have put a roll of toilet paper on the counter to absorb humidity. Once we put in a compressor dehumidifier all that changed; no more condensation any where in the RV and being inside is as comfortable as sitting in our home in W TX, we won't go anywhere without it. Jason linked a Haier on Amazon, Lowe's sells them (we bought the 35 pint HiSense there (in the barn now) and we carry the smaller Ivation (11 pint) I bought on Amazon IIRC. In the humid places we like to go opening windows just makes things more uncomfortable.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
windows