Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2022, 07:35 AM   #21
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well another thread sidetracked, this time by a senior member, and a site team member, it happens so easily.

Towing calculators if you do an internet search you will likely find some, some work well other not so well.

I think fitting an existing TV to a new trailer is much easier than fitting a new TV to existing trailer.

Worse yet is new TV to new trailer, due to the many unknowns.

One thing I read many times with those ordering new TV, especially new trucks, is that once the order is completed the dealer can't provide what the trucks payload will be.

Manufactures should be able to calculate what the effect of different options will be on total payload as the vehicle is ordered.
Sorry

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:57 AM   #22
travelin texans

Maybe the OP is looking to haul a vintage Kawasaki in the bed of the new tow vehicle while towing the rv so it's just another number to subtract from the payload. So maybe still somewhat relevant??
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:

One thing I read many times with those ordering new TV, especially new trucks, is that once the order is completed the dealer can't provide what the trucks payload will be.

Manufactures should be able to calculate what the effect of different options will be on total payload as the vehicle is ordered.
Manufacturers "can provide the total payload" on new vehicle orders (IF THEY WANT TO)... Most simply choose not to spend the time to calculate that for a customer or, more likely, customers simply don't ask the question so the salesman/fleet purchase manager at the dealership doesn't do the work for someone who doesn't know to ask or probably, doesn't care about the answer....

Every vehicle manufacturer provides dealerships with "build configuration data" for every model vehicle they produce. That information, in computer form, can be used to build a "test vehicle" in the software and produce the same "payload sticker that's put on the vehicle as it leaves the manufacturer's assembly line....

I'd ask a question for you to consider about "manufacturer's capability to know the payload"... Do you really think that any manufacturer would "build a truck without knowing the payload before starting the assembly, only to weigh it at the end of the line and say, "OOPS" take it back apart, it weighs too much" ???? NOPE... and that same software is available to every salesman at every vehicle dealership..

I'll state "unequivocally" that EVERY vehicle manufacturer, Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, even TESLA, knows exactly how much the vehicle will weigh and how much the payload will be "WHEN THEY PUT THE ORDER IN THE COMPUTER".. There's no "head in the sand and we'll see if it works at the other end of the line"... That same data is readily available at the dealership... Whether they use it or not, now that's a totally different situation...

Some don't know it's there, some don't know how to use it, some don't care because the customer didn't ask and some use it daily, to configure police vehicles, fleet sales vehicles and special order vehicles to sit on the lot until someone walks in to buy "that nice blue truck out there"....

Here's one example of a "Ford Build Configurator"...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2000 superduty build data sheets.pdf (1.18 MB, 78 views)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:24 AM   #24
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Maybe the OP is looking to haul a vintage Kawasaki in the bed of the new tow vehicle while towing the rv so it's just another number to subtract from the payload. So maybe still somewhat relevant??
You are just as bad as I was!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:06 AM   #25
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbentzel View Post
Hi everyone, does anyone have a good tow calculator to determine the tow capacity of your vehicle? I may be looking for a new tow vehicle in the future and RV and I know there are a lot of factors and detailed calculations that have to be considered before making a final decision, but I was looking for something to get me in the ballpark to run some different scenarios before running the numbers on a specific tow vehicle and RV before purchasing either. Any recommendations would be appreciated...thanks!!
To answer your question directly, I have had good results with this one:

TT: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml
5W: http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml
Old 01-30-2022, 09:43 AM   #26
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I rode a ‘79 KZ 1000 MKII. That thing was a rocket ship. Thought about the Z1R but I didn’t want a turbo.
I'll jump right in here and contribute to the hijack. I started out with a 79 Honda 750F and graduated to a 79 Honda CBX. When that wasn't fast enough I bought the first 83 Suzuki GS1100ES delivered to Jacksonville, Fl.

The 83 fuel injected Kawasaki 1100 GPZ beat it on paper but for whatever reason I shut them all down in the quarter mile. I got invited to ride a pro stock built by Ron Turner Cycles at Pecan Park Raceway and held the eighth mile record there for a bit at 5.25 @142 mph.

My best friend and riding buddy got killed by a drunk driver on his bike about that time and I hung up my helmet for good.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 10:57 AM   #27
lcarver02

First, there is no tow calculator or chart as each person has some unique towing needs or desires. Some advice would be to first pick a trailer you like, or style you will like for at least 10 years. Determine what loading you will have, toys, items stored for your trip, people, and anything else that weighs over 20 pounds. Next step would be to get the information on this trailer and go to a new truck dealer to have them "spec" a truck for you. You will need to tell them where you plan on going (altitude), grades you will be pulling, and your personal preferences (fuel type) and truck type. They should be able to give you a good idea of the equipment you need. The most important item here - your budget. Some advice is to add in about 10-15 percent buffer just in case you get a different trailer or find some friends.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 11:32 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarver02 View Post
First, there is no tow calculator or chart as each person has some unique towing needs or desires. Some advice would be to first pick a trailer you like, or style you will like for at least 10 years. Determine what loading you will have, toys, items stored for your trip, people, and anything else that weighs over 20 pounds. Next step would be to get the information on this trailer and go to a new truck dealer to have them "spec" a truck for you. You will need to tell them where you plan on going (altitude), grades you will be pulling, and your personal preferences (fuel type) and truck type. They should be able to give you a good idea of the equipment you need. The most important item here - your budget. Some advice is to add in about 10-15 percent buffer just in case you get a different trailer or find some friends.
Most every rv listed on a website will have a "spec" section, look at the dry weight + carrying capacity or the GVWR, with this number use 13% of that weight for tongue weight + 100lbs for the hitch a TT or 23% for pin weight of a 5th wheel + 200+lbs for the hitch. With these numbers campare them to the driver's door of a particular truck for payload & front/rear axle weights. Each truck has its own particular weights whereas any chart will use generalities rather than particulars.
I personally WOULD NOT consult the truck dealer for advice on any weights or towing abilities, they have one agenda, sell you a truck PERIOD.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-30-2022, 11:49 AM   #29
81SHOVELHEAD

Tow capacities

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbentzel View Post
Hi everyone, does anyone have a good tow calculator to determine the tow capacity of your vehicle? I may be looking for a new tow vehicle in the future and RV and I know there are a lot of factors and detailed calculations that have to be considered before making a final decision, but I was looking for something to get me in the ballpark to run some different scenarios before running the numbers on a specific tow vehicle and RV before purchasing either. Any recommendations would be appreciated...thanks!!
When looking at tow vehicles don't overlook any of the Big 3 gas motors .As most have replied payload capacity will will limit out b4 towing capacity . We have a 2015 Hemi Ram 2500 . Payload capacity 3130 tow capacity 12,850 same truck in diesel version you loose 800 to 1000 lb payload capacity due to weight of engine . For me & where we tow it was a no brainer to go with the 6.4 Hemi Ram. 10k less upfront cost & the maintenance expense of owning a new diesel vehicle wasn't worth it . Here in the Texas Hill country diesel goes for 40 cents more a gallon . We tow a 12,000 lb 34 ft Montana 5th wheel with zero issues
81SHOVELHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:13 PM   #30
notanlines

What Shovelhead said^^^^except "the maintenance expense of owning a new diesel vehicle."Very little difference, if any, and better mileage. And as a now infamous Texan member of the forum once said, "You just roll your window down and drive through the RV park making a sound like a diesel."
All humor aside, yes, gas engines have a place in your driveway, and they're better and better every year.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:46 PM   #31
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Manufacturers "can provide the total payload" on new vehicle orders (IF THEY WANT TO)... Most simply choose not to spend the time to calculate that for a customer or, more likely, customers simply don't ask the question so the salesman/fleet purchase manager at the dealership doesn't do the work for someone who doesn't know to ask or probably, doesn't care about the answer....

Every vehicle manufacturer provides dealerships with "build configuration data" for every model vehicle they produce. That information, in computer form, can be used to build a "test vehicle" in the software and produce the same "payload sticker that's put on the vehicle as it leaves the manufacturer's assembly line....

I'd ask a question for you to consider about "manufacturer's capability to know the payload"... Do you really think that any manufacturer would "build a truck without knowing the payload before starting the assembly, only to weigh it at the end of the line and say, "OOPS" take it back apart, it weighs too much" ???? NOPE... and that same software is available to every salesman at every vehicle dealership..

I'll state "unequivocally" that EVERY vehicle manufacturer, Ford, GM, Dodge, Toyota, Nissan, even TESLA, knows exactly how much the vehicle will weigh and how much the payload will be "WHEN THEY PUT THE ORDER IN THE COMPUTER".. There's no "head in the sand and we'll see if it works at the other end of the line"... That same data is readily available at the dealership... Whether they use it or not, now that's a totally different situation...

Some don't know it's there, some don't know how to use it, some don't care because the customer didn't ask and some use it daily, to configure police vehicles, fleet sales vehicles and special order vehicles to sit on the lot until someone walks in to buy "that nice blue truck out there"....

Here's one example of a "Ford Build Configurator"...
Well I haven’t searched or built a new truck on any of the big three’s sites lately. Last time I did I didn’t see a payload listed
I am sure the manufacturer has that information, but my perception was it was not available to the dealer based on several post about buyers being disappointed with the payload of a ordered truck.
I saw a case where a poster had an 2020 F250 with GVWR over 10,000# likely close to 11,000#.
He was encouraged to get F350 as he was over payload and GVWR. Well ordered a new 2021 F350 SB with a 11,500# GVWR, and gained a whopping 350# of payload! He is still over GVWR!!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:11 PM   #32
Badbart56

Quote:
He was encouraged to get F350 as he was over payload and GVWR. Well ordered a new 2021 F350 SB with a 11,500# GVWR, and gained a whopping 350# of payload! He is still over GVWR!!
That's why I like my duallies. I've got over 4500 lbs. of payload.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
What Shovelhead said^^^^except "the maintenance expense of owning a new diesel vehicle."Very little difference, if any, and better mileage.
I'd have to agree with this!
I've had 2 GMC Duramax duallies for a total of 300k+ & didn't notice any difference in routine maintenance expense over previous gassers. But that seems to be the thing those that don't own or don't want to own a diesel keep bringing up as a reason to not own one.
If regularly towing 12k+ rvs a diesel can't be beat in any/all terrains! I will agree that today's gasser are much improved due to multi speed trannies, but so are diesels.
Replacement undetermined
Old 01-30-2022, 01:21 PM   #34
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
That's why I like my duallies. I've got over 4500 lbs. of payload.
Yep, our 2016 Ram 3500 DRW has 5,411#.
Old 01-30-2022, 01:47 PM   #35
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarver02 View Post
I agree with Travelin' Texans on this one....I would never trust a Ford dealer to sell me the properly equipped truck. Perhaps if you find a good commercial fleet manager to deal with, but not the truck salesman at your local Ford dealer - even one with a large new truck inventory. The salesmen I've dealt with wouldn't even know what I was talking about if I mentioned the payload sticker, much less provide any valuable input after telling them the altitude I'm going to be towing at, grades etc.

I learned the hard way that it's incumbent upon the buyer to know what he needs and to understand basic tow requirements. Trusting the sales people can be one of the most costly mistakes a new RV'er can make...BTDT.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #36
Genek

Load Capacity

But most of all….don’t forget the load capacity!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You can approach it one of two ways:

Find the RV you like, then armed with the weights you can find the appropriate tow vehicle or:

Decide what you want as a tow vehicle, and again armed with weight capacity’s find a trailer suited for the tow vehicle.

Until you have in your mind the size/length of the trailer you want, or the tow vehicle, there really isn’t any reason to talk about any “tables”.
Genek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:32 PM   #37
falcondan95705

I've done this too many times. Get a 3500, 350, DUALLY, WITH A 4:10 OR HIGHER REAR AXLE, HD ENGINE AND TRANS AND BE DONE WITH IT.. WE BOUGHT A RAM 3500 DUALLY, 32000 LB. TOW RATING, 14000 LB GVWR.. AISIN TRANS ... TOO CONFUSING THE numbers.. get a bad truck and FORGET IT..
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:35 PM   #38
falcondan95705

Trailer life's website has all the info.
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 07:58 PM   #39
dalamarjj78

This page has a link to a spreadsheet I found incredibly useful when shopping for tow vehicles and when upgrading our trailer:

https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/

Just plug in the numbers for the truck and trailer and it will let you know if you're over weight, payload, etc.

2022 F350 XLT CCSB SRW 7.3L 4.30 Gears
2021 Keystone Bullet Ultra Lite 273BHS

dalamarjj78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:18 PM   #40
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondan95705 View Post
Trailer life's website has all the info.
The traile Life site only speaks to “Towing Rating” (AKA ability to pull), it speaks nothing of the vehicles payload, or ability to carry.
While it has accurate pull ratings, that is less than half the picture!

Tags
tow