Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2022, 10:32 AM   #1
tsce33

2021 cougar solar and inverter wiring

I recently purchased a 2021 cougar 30RLS. I would like to verify the pre wiring for the solar and inverter install.
There is a pair of #8 wire (red and black) running from the roof jack to the batteries. Is the solar panel run?
Also in the storage bay there is a Romex bundled up and taped with black electrical tape, this is near the plumbing control valves.I am assuming this is the inverter connection for the 3 inverter receptacles.
Any help will be appreciated.
tsce33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:43 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Your selling dealer should have explained that to you during your walk through/ orientation.

Stranded wiring from the roof to the battery is solar, however you will need to install a controller between the panels and the battery.

The Romex is for the inverter, the Romex should be two pieces with a connector joining them. You’ll have to verify AC in and AC out when you install an inverter. The Romex is set up for automatic “pass through” inverters.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsce33 View Post
I recently purchased a 2021 cougar 30RLS. I would like to verify the pre wiring for the solar and inverter install.
There is a pair of #8 wire (red and black) running from the roof jack to the batteries. Is the solar panel run?
Also in the storage bay there is a Romex bundled up and taped with black electrical tape, this is near the plumbing control valves.I am assuming this is the inverter connection for the 3 inverter receptacles.

1st the pair of wire from the roof should not go to the batteries, It should go to a pre-determined location for a solar charge controller. On 5th wheels this is typically behind the wall in your basement storage. There should be a second pair of wire running from that location to the batteries.

The romex is a loop, coming from your Converter and going out to the inverter receptacles. You will need a pass-through inverter with an automatic transfer switch for this to work properly.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:48 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
1st the pair of wire from the roof should not go to the batteries, It should go to a pre-determined location for a solar charge controller. On 5th wheels this is typically behind the wall in your basement storage. There should be a second pair of wire running from that location to the batteries.

The romex is a loop, coming from your Converter and going out to the inverter receptacles. You will need a pass-through inverter with an automatic transfer switch for this to work properly.
The Romex should come from the breaker panel, converter only produces 12VDC.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:50 AM   #5
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
The Romex should come from the breaker panel, converter only produces 12VDC.

Correct, sorry about that.
Old 01-21-2022, 11:38 AM   #6
tsce33

Thank you looks like I will need to cut the Romex make the necessary splices for the inverter install
Old 01-21-2022, 11:51 AM   #7
tsce33

any suggestions on a inverter
Old 01-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #8
Essvar

Quote:
any suggestions on a inverter

https://www.donrowe.com/Xantrex-s/1819.htm

Freedom X

Size of inverter will be based on your intended use, battery capacity, and solar input.
Old 01-21-2022, 06:52 PM   #9
mikec557

Quote:

I think the 8ga red/black actually DOES/SHOULD run from the rooftop to the batteries. But like the Romex, there should be a good size loop where the solar charge controller "should" be placed. In my case with a TT, it's in the pass-through.

Keep that in mind before cutting the 8ga loop. It may be live wires because it's connected to the battery. Similar to cutting the Romex loop if you were plugged into shore power.

For what it's worth, I bought the Xantrex Freedom X 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter (with bypass) from Don Rowe. They are a great company to buy from.

There were a few times I wish I would've e chosen a larger inverter, but not many. In fact now that I have a 700 watt coffee maker, it's problem solved.

But I chose the 1000 because I could use 2ga wire from the inverter location to the batteries. To use a bigger inverter I would've had to run 2-ought cable. Keep wire size and distance in mind when you decide on inverter size.

And, since you are energizing three particular outlets, ask yourself what you'll really plug into them. Our bedroom outlet powers a king-sized electric mattress pad and a CPAP with the heated/humidifier set on 5. The TV outlet powers a 50in 4k flat screen TV and a roku. We really had no use for the kitchen outlet... until I bought the 700 watt coffee maker. No more pour-over coffee.

The 1000 watt provides more than enough for these things.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #10
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I think the 8ga red/black actually DOES/SHOULD run from the rooftop to the batteries. But like the Romex, there should be a good size loop where the solar charge controller "should" be placed. In my case with a TT, it's in the pass-through.

I believe that 5th wheels were/are wired differently than TT. My 2021 Fuzion did not go directly to the battery compartment.

Maybe they did the cougar different than the Montana and Fuzions?

Old 01-21-2022, 08:30 PM   #11
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
I believe that 5th wheels were/are wired differently than TT. My 2021 Fuzion did not go directly to the battery compartment.

Maybe they did the cougar different than the Montana and Fuzions?
It could be that they are wired differently. That was a great video. But in the end, all they did was cut the loop in advance and leave both ends behind the wall. And it's nice they ran a remote-display wire, but I find using Bluetooth to connect the Victron to my cellphone works as well. I don't cut holes in my walls any longer.

Off the grid, OTG, began on Keystone with model year 2020. My 2020 was built in 10/2019, so there was a leaning curve on the factory floor. On mine they failed to leave a loop of slack. On another thread, they failed to run wire from the solar charge controller location to the batteries.

But back to the OP's question... which I've forgotten. I'll hit post and then "edit" as needed.

Edit:

OP said: There is a pair of #8 wire (red and black) running from the roof jack to the batteries. Is [that] the solar panel run?

Yes, that is the solar panel run. Did they leave you a loop of slack? Or did they run the wire "tightly" (no slack)?

Romex loop has already been covered above.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:38 PM   #12
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
It could be that they are wired differently. That was a great video. But in the end, all they did was cut the loop in advance and leave both ends behind the wall. And it's nice they ran a remote-display wire, but I find using Bluetooth to connect the Victron to my cellphone works as well. I don't cut holes in my walls any longer.

Off the grid, OTG, began on Keystone with model year 2020. My 2020 was built in 10/2019, so there was a leaning curve on the factory floor. On mine they failed to leave a loop of slack. On another thread, they failed to run wire from the solar charge controller location to the batteries.

But back to the OP's question... which I've forgotten. I'll hit post and then "edit" as needed.

Edit:

OP said: There is a pair of #8 wire (red and black) running from the roof jack to the batteries. Is [that] the solar panel run?

Yes, that is the solar panel run. Did they leave you a loop of slack? Or did they run the wire "tightly" (no slack)?

Romex loop has already been covered above.

I've reached the point where my capacity for more "Apps" is at its limit... I cut holes in walls every day so as long as the install is clean, I'll take a touch screen. This is my charge controller and inverter remote displays installed.

Old 01-23-2022, 06:59 AM   #13
tsce33

Thank You, you'll have been a lot of help. I need to find the electrical schematic for this coach 2021 30 RLS. I found that the invertor plug at the TV is wired through the GFI in the kitchen?
Old 01-23-2022, 07:33 AM   #14
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Thank You, you'll have been a lot of help. I need to find the electrical schematic for this coach 2021 30 RLS. I found that the invertor plug at the TV is wired through the GFI in the kitchen?
Good luck!! Schematics are very secret documents.

Old 01-23-2022, 07:57 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I think they are kept in the same vault with the Holy Grail, the Arc of the Covenant, the formula for Coca-Cola and Colonel Sanders recipe of 21 herbs and spices.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:13 AM   #16
GoNavy

I have 2021 Cougar 290RLS built in June 2021 with Xantrex freedom 2000 X inverter from the factory. I can snap a couple pics later today if you would like to see the install. It is fairly straightforward and nice that is installed in overhead of the pass through compartment to keep stuff away from it. However, it is difficult to read display in that position. There is a Bluetooth and hardwired remote available. About $90 on Amazon for Bluetooth version. There are five receptacles (TV in living room, left stove receptacle, residential refrigerator, coffee counter, one bedroom) that are powered from it.

I traced the cable from solar port on the roof to the battery compartment. The negative is connected to ground. The positive was just dangling behind battery. Both had tags indicating it was Solar + or - connection.

I am seriously considering upgrading the system so we can camp longer term off grid.

I would love a wiring schematic but was told no way by Keystone. I also question if it exists in a format we could use because our neighbors have same camper and it has several changes in electrical system even though it is also a 2021 290RLS. Obviously, they are making running changes throughout model year. Best advice check and re-check before you do anything.
GoNavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:15 AM   #17
tsce33

Nope, found the vault every thing was there but not the schematics. I think who ever was wiring this coach set on them and they haven't been seen since, problem in a very very dark place:
Old 01-23-2022, 08:29 AM   #18
tsce33

I will check that after I watch the buccaneers beat the rams. The red and black are also tagged I will try to get the info from the tags. If you get those pics of the 2000 watt inverter I would like to see them.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2022, 08:46 AM   #19
tsce33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNavy View Post
I have 2021 Cougar 290RLS built in June 2021 with Xantrex freedom 2000 X inverter from the factory. I can snap a couple pics later today if you would like to see the install. It is fairly straightforward and nice that is installed in overhead of the pass through compartment to keep stuff away from it. However, it is difficult to read display in that position. There is a Bluetooth and hardwired remote available. About $90 on Amazon for Bluetooth version. There are five receptacles (TV in living room, left stove receptacle, residential refrigerator, coffee counter, one bedroom) that are powered from it.

I traced the cable from solar port on the roof to the battery compartment. The negative is connected to ground. The positive was just dangling behind battery. Both had tags indicating it was Solar + or - connection.

I am seriously considering upgrading the system so we can camp longer term off grid.

I would love a wiring schematic but was told no way by Keystone. I also question if it exists in a format we could use because our neighbors have same camper and it has several changes in electrical system even though it is also a 2021 290RLS. Obviously, they are making running changes throughout model year. Best advice check and re-check before you do anything.
I would love to see the pics
Old 01-23-2022, 04:56 PM   #20
GoNavy

Here are some pics of factory solar ready in battery compartment and inverter in the ceiling of the pass through
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9BAF77E-216D-40C0-8E18-C88F5EACAB01.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	37982   Click image for larger version

Name:	E930CC7E-CDA3-4EC5-B302-A7074E3F02DA.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	37983   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEE364C7-0DA1-442E-AA61-40366F2E58F2.jpg
Views:	362