Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2022, 03:49 PM   #1
Expedition Espinoza

Add a thermostat

I was wondering if I would be able to add a thermostat to the front A/C unit that is in the bedroom. Currently the unit is either on all the time or not. I would like to have it shut off like the main unit does. I dont want to tie it to the main thermostat, I would just like to add a second thermostat in the bedroom to control the unit. I am not sure if this is possible and or if I need to add any parts to the unit.

The front AC is a Coleman-Mach.

Thank you for you help/advice in advance.
Expedition Espinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:12 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Is the AC controlled by in command, or are the controls in the ceiling assembly?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:52 AM   #3
Expedition Espinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Is the AC controlled by in command, or are the controls in the ceiling assembly?
Sorry forgot that bit of information. It is the ceiling controls. The issue is I don't want the fan running all the time when the unit isn't cooling due to the noise and wear and tear on the unit.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:51 AM   #4
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expedition Espinoza View Post
Sorry forgot that bit of information. It is the ceiling controls. The issue is I don't want the fan running all the time when the unit isn't cooling due to the noise and wear and tear on the unit.
Set the fan switch to "auto" rather than "high/low".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 07:37 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If my brain is working this morning, you don’t have that option on plenum control units. I did use a ceiling control AC and wired in a thermostat but I don’t remember which wire went where. I bet Chuck S knows.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:42 AM   #6
Expedition Espinoza

Quote:
Guess my last post never came through. The unit doesnt have an auto funtion. The turn knobs only have Cool High/Low Fan High/Low and OFF

https://colemanmachac.com/coleman-ma...ly-non-ducted/

The above link is the model unit that I have. @chuckster57 is correct. This is the non ducted model.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:34 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Thinking out loud for a second: The current fan control does not provide for a fan "auto function"... Installing a wall thermostat will not alter the overhead fan control, so the fan will operate just like it does now, even if you could wire it to work with a wall thermostat.

You could possibly buy a ducted ceiling shroud, pull the control box (guts) of out that and install it on your current air conditioner, then pull the controls (guts) out of the current ceiling shroud and have a "highly modified ceiling unit"...

Would it work? In theory yes, from a control point of view, but I don't know if the "ducted guts will fit" and the "non-ducted shroud" reinstall over them.

This is. IMO, one to contact Coleman's customer service and ask for an opinion...

All that said, this is, I believe, a second A/C unit ?? Is the main A/C unit a ducted unit? If so, it may be simpler and significantly less expensive, to just turn off the second unit when sleeping and let the main unit provide cool air to the entire trailer. Usually, it's cooler at night and when using the bedroom to sleep, if you don't need the second unit, just turn it off. During the day, just "endure the fan" ....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:53 AM   #8
Expedition Espinoza

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Thinking out loud for a second: The current fan control does not provide for a fan "auto function"... Installing a wall thermostat will not alter the overhead fan control, so the fan will operate just like it does now, even if you could wire it to work with a wall thermostat.

You could possibly buy a ducted ceiling shroud, pull the control box (guts) of out that and install it on your current air conditioner, then pull the controls (guts) out of the current ceiling shroud and have a "highly modified ceiling unit"...

Would it work? In theory yes, from a control point of view, but I don't know if the "ducted guts will fit" and the "non-ducted shroud" reinstall over them.

This is. IMO, one to contact Coleman's customer service and ask for an opinion...

All that said, this is, I believe, a second A/C unit ?? Is the main A/C unit a ducted unit? If so, it may be simpler and significantly less expensive, to just turn off the second unit when sleeping and let the main unit provide cool air to the entire trailer. Usually, it's cooler at night and when using the bedroom to sleep, if you don't need the second unit, just turn it off. During the day, just "endure the fan" ....
Thank you for your advice. Sounds like I will be reaching out to coleman to see if they have any options. This is a second unit and we do use the main unit during the night. My wife likes it to be an ice box when she sleeps and the main unit doesnt keep up with her needs.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:07 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expedition Espinoza View Post
Thank you for your advice. Sounds like I will be reaching out to coleman to see if they have any options. This is a second unit and we do use the main unit during the night. My wife likes it to be an ice box when she sleeps and the main unit doesnt keep up with her needs.

Just out of curiousity; have you ever slept in a room with an unvented A/C that cuts on and off all night? Just asking because I hate it. They are loud when they start up with normal functioning and when you're asleep it makes you (me) jump wide awake every time they shut off AND every time they kick on. IMO it's much nicer for it to keep running and the compressor just kick off and on in the background.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 05:33 AM   #10
ChuckS

You should be able to and you would need a J box installed, 12 volt power for thermostat and J box and route the wiring from thermostat to J box to roof A/C unit…

https://www.airxcel.com/DesktopModul...f/1976a376.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:47 AM   #11
Expedition Espinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
You should be able to and you would need a J box installed, 12 volt power for thermostat and J box and route the wiring from thermostat to J box to roof A/C unit…

https://www.airxcel.com/DesktopModul...f/1976a376.pdf
Is this the J box you are referring too? If so I think i can manage with the wire schematic that you provided. The hardest part would/is going to be running the thermostat wire to where I want it.

Coleman 8330752 Cool Control Package

https://www.amazon.com/AIRXCEL-83307...s%2C96&sr=8-30

Thank you
Old 01-24-2022, 08:10 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s the box. If you need to know how to wire it PM me.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:49 PM   #13
bbells

There is an easy to install device designed to do what you want. I installed it and my fan is no longer on all the time and the AC is controlled by it's own thermostat on the wall. Coleman 8330752 Cool Control Package
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:12 AM   #14
ChuckS

Read this link…

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...rol-manual.pdf

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Mach-...ge-p/65346.htm

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote