Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2021, 05:28 PM   #1
Samm091990

09 Hornet 32RLSS repairs

So I was recently given a 2009 Hornet 32RLSS but it needs MAJOR TLC. Biggest issue I have at the moment is 3 of the most important controls do not operate on Shore power OR RV Deep cycle battery. My water Monitor, hot water heater controls, and Slide controls do not work but pretty much all the other electronics do. None of the fuses or breakers are showing issues at all. Other issues are a leak in the left slide, rotting wood, and possibly mold all on that side. Another issue I seem to have is the furnace is disconnected and the refrigerator will not run on propane. Everytime I try to turn on the propane mode for refrigerator I get the check gas light. Also the previous owner seems to have cut the video component cable on the radio. I know that it will take lotsa work to repair it to proper livability and would appreciate any advice or assistance.

Thank You
Samm
Samm091990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Without knowing the extent of your mechanical, electrical and carpenter abilities, this could be a "work in progress" or it could be "so far beyond your abilities that it's impossible".

Most of the electrical issues you mention are likely to be caused by the circuit breakers mounted on the trailer bulkhead, just behind the coupler/A-frame and the wiring from them to the switches/control panel and then to the slide motors.

The water heater and refrigerator issues may be caused by a 12 volt "voltage issue" or the may be caused by control board issues.

The "rotten wood and mold" issues are basic carpentry jobs that will require some expertise to determine the extent of damage and a plan to repair. Mold, well that's always a "priority need to control" but difficult to do if there's an active leak, so the first task would be finding the leak and repairing it so the interior stays dry.

Looking at your post, it's an "uphill battle" just trying to determine if this is a "salvageable trailer" or one best used "as is" until you can haul it to the dump... So, photos, Photos and (did I suggest) PHOTOS of the damage, some detailed discussion of your skill level and what tools you have available to do the repair work....

Nothing is impossible, so don't think I'm suggesting nobody wants to help you with advice, but we really need to know where to start so we can determine where you need to go first.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:46 AM   #3
cavie

The electric problems you described seem to be 12 volts related. Fridge on gas, furnace, slide controls, WH, Lights are all 12 volts. Remove the battery and have it load tested. 12-volt converter is powered by 120-volt shore power from a 15 amp circuit breaker. The battery has a resettable inline fuse within 6' of the battery under the tongue. There are also 2 30 amp "reverse polarity" fuses on the converter.

By water monitor, if you are talking about tank levels, they never work. Get used to it.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:17 PM   #4
Samm091990

Here are the pics you asked for, and a bonus of 2 videos. Had to upload them on Imgur though since they were too big for this board. To note, that battery is BRAND NEW, I bought it from Camping World like 2 days after getting the RV, also the outside outlets do not work and I am sure the outside speakers are blown.

https://imgur.com/a/goN0SI2

Samm
Old 01-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm091990 View Post
Here are the pics you asked for, and a bonus of 2 videos. Had to upload them on Imgur though since they were too big for this board. To note, that battery is BRAND NEW, I bought it from Camping World like 2 days after getting the RV, also the outside outlets do not work and I am sure the outside speakers are blown.

https://imgur.com/a/goN0SI2

Samm
That is going to take quite awhile to “fix”
You need to get plastic or something on the roof or put it in a covered storage to even begin the project ,That leak is enormous.

Where I live you can walk into almost any boatyard and there will be at least one boat that the marina will GIVE you because the boat needs more work then it’s worth. Every now and then someone says they will take it and the marina tells them as long as you take it out of here. Because so many before have given up.
Sometimes they sell them just for a years slip rent then it starts all over the next year.
You my want to look at how much to buy a Decent used trailer vs spending a lot to fix this one up
I’m not trying to be negative but water intrusion problems on anything can be a nightmare
Old 01-26-2021, 07:04 PM   #6
Samm091990

@jasin1

I am looking at new and used replacements, but I gotta take into consideration my brother needs a place too (was his friend's father that gave him the trailer). The majority of ones that can support both of us (with at least aprivate bedroom) are outta my reach. Also gotta find one my truck , a 2012 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Sport V6 w/tow pacage (6400 tow capacity) can haul. Also trying ro spend as little as posible cause I still owe 19.5k on it. We were thinking of just tearing the carpet on that side out, removing all the furniture, putting new flooring down, and than checking on the leak fix..

Samm
Old 01-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
@jasin1

I am looking at new and used replacements, but I gotta take into consideration my brother needs a place too (was his friend's father that gave him the trailer). The majority of ones that can support both of us (with at least aprivate bedroom) are outta my reach. Also gotta find one my truck , a 2012 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Sport V6 w/tow pacage (6400 tow capacity) can haul. Also trying ro spend as little as posible cause I still owe 19.5k on it. We were thinking of just tearing the carpet on that side out, removing all the furniture, putting new flooring down, and than checking on the leak fix..

Samm
I guess if you have your mind made up then that’s half the battle.
I would stop the water leak first though. Good luck and post pictures!
Old 01-26-2021, 07:37 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Looking at the photos, it seems to me that the damage is far worse than most people with relatively good carpenter/repair skills could manage. Just buying the trim, the siding, the wood to repair the outer shell would likely cost more than the trailer is worth. Then, you've got the entire inside to repair/replace. Once that's done, it looks like the water heater is "toast", the propane tank, regulator, the battery, battery tray and I'd guess much of the wiring is going to need to be replaced. The photos of what looks to be a hydraulic pump/reservoir also do not appear to be "healthy" and will probably need replacement. I don't think you'll find anyone with the capability to rebuild it. That pump/reservoir, by itself will be over $500 to replace.

If it were mine, I wouldn't attempt to repair that trailer, I'd disassemble it, sell the salvageable parts on Craigslist and haul the rest to a scrap/recycling yard. The metal frame, chassis, axles and much of the aluminum superstructure should bring enough to make a good down payment on a good used trailer.

If you want to try to rebuild it (there's no way to call it a repair) as you proceed, possibly we could help you over the rough spots, but I'd suspect there'll be so many rough spots that after the first major setback, you'll probably change your mind about trying to make it serviceable again.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 03:14 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

I'll be perfectly frank with you. That's uninhabitable, honestly, I wouldn't subject an animal to the amount of mold that's in that space. You can't just cover over mold like that with floor covering or paint. Mold these days is like asbestos was years ago. You start ripping out all that material and someone's going to complain if you're in a campground or near anyone else. Then you'll get likely get paid a visit from the health or environmental folks and the remediation will cost a lot of money.

I'm empathetic to you and your brothers situation but that is not your solution. Your "friend" did you no favors, you did him a favor because now you haven't figure out what to do with it. I wish you all the best.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:12 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Trying to repair that is a LOT to bite off. Not only will the amount of work and expertise required be high, it will cost a lot of money - far more than the trailer is worth. Visiting with a service advisor who is a friend a while back and told me of a woman who brought in an old trailer to be repaired. He told her it was not worth what it would cost but she said to do it. It cost her $45,000 to have it rebuilt/repaired for what was maybe a 10k trailer.

If you are set on doing the repairs the very first thing you HAVE to do is stop the water from coming in. That is probably where the majority of your problems originate; wood, electrical etc. If nothing else blue tarp it.

Have you even looked at the frame or other structural components? Spending time and money for repairs on that with some structural problem is just throwing money away. As someone else already mentioned, whoever unloaded this on you did you no favors.

If you decide to do this we have lots of folks with tons of knowledge that will chime in to help I'm sure. The thing we/they can't do is fix the unfixable. And, we haven't even talked about a Tacoma trying to "pull" a trailer that size. Good luck in whatever path you take.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #11
travelin texans

Holy moldy oldy Batman!
I redid the floor & about 1/2 off the wall paneling in an old 5th wheel years ago, not anywhere near the issues of the one shown & swore I'd never do it again.
As for that one I think someone just unloaded their POS trailer onto someone else. It should've stopped at the junk yard instead of your yard.
It appears to have absolutely no periodic maintenance nor TLC since it was new to be this bad of shape.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #12
Sarge2

I agree with the majority of posts... that trailer is less than a fixer upper... In my opinion it's just too bad to even consider rebuilding... I would never try it and I've got some pretty fair skills... beyond my expertise.
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:38 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

Well look at it this way, you might have a good frame to build a new tiny house onto. Bet that would take less time and be cheaper to attempt to repair that mess.
By seeing the photo's, I doubt there is any wood worth saving, that thing is a haz mat clean up and should be treated like one. I would not go into it without a breathing unit on my back. Nor should anyone else.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #14
Samm091990

I figured as much, nothing is ever free. I told my brother that a 'free' trailer means something is extremely wrong with it. I know that his friend's father is in trouble with Code Enforcement cause his home is more or less a 'public eyesore'. CE told them they had to clean up their yard and house or they'd condemn it and evict them. I figured the 'giving it to you to use' meant ' I need it out of my yard and do not wanna pay for it to be scrapped'. It looked nice til we got inside. My brother told me 'oh Justen and Missus Rasheen would not let Mister Ron give me something that could not be fixed. I was thinking they would take it back once we paid to 'repair' it but also in my mind after seeing it and knowing about their CE issues I figured he may have just wanted it out of the yard. Looks like I am gonna needa start a gofundme page to replace it lol. I do know keystone has some trailers my truck can tow with a private 'master' bedroom and bunks, but they cost just as much as my truck did when I first got it last September ($25K, least now I am down to $19.5K on it). Any suggestions on just temporarily living in it. We have Damprid bucketa and bags up everywhere, resealed the slideout with that expanding foam and tapes up the inside with flexseal tape. We also have an air purifier in there. We just need somewhere to live since my Mom had to sell the house and we have nowhere else to go, she lives with her fiance but me and my brother are more or less homeless and everywhere in PCB the apartment prices are way out of our range ($850+ even for a studio, RV park is $650/month with everything included).

Samm
Old 01-30-2021, 04:23 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

I can empathize with your situation but based on your pictures I wouldn't step inside that trailer much less stay in it. I can't image any RV park would allow that unit to stay. Maybe you and your brother could rent a room in someone's house or move further away from a resort town to find more affordable housing. I have sister that Ives in Panama City and like any tourist town you pay a premium to stay there.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 05:35 AM   #16
jasin1

Quote:
I figured as much, nothing is ever free. I told my brother that a 'free' trailer means something is extremely wrong with it. I know that his friend's father is in trouble with Code Enforcement cause his home is more or less a 'public eyesore'. CE told them they had to clean up their yard and house or they'd condemn it and evict them. I figured the 'giving it to you to use' meant ' I need it out of my yard and do not wanna pay for it to be scrapped'. It looked nice til we got inside. My brother told me 'oh Justen and Missus Rasheen would not let Mister Ron give me something that could not be fixed. I was thinking they would take it back once we paid to 'repair' it but also in my mind after seeing it and knowing about their CE issues I figured he may have just wanted it out of the yard. Looks like I am gonna needa start a gofundme page to replace it lol. I do know keystone has some trailers my truck can tow with a private 'master' bedroom and bunks, but they cost just as much as my truck did when I first got it last September ($25K, least now I am down to $19.5K on it). Any suggestions on just temporarily living in it. We have Damprid bucketa and bags up everywhere, resealed the slideout with that expanding foam and tapes up the inside with flexseal tape. We also have an air purifier in there. We just need somewhere to live since my Mom had to sell the house and we have nowhere else to go, she lives with her fiance but me and my brother are more or less homeless and everywhere in PCB the apartment prices are way out of our range ($850+ even for a studio, RV park is $650/month with everything included).

Samm
Did he give you the title for it yet? Where are you keeping it at now? If it’s still in his name I would politely “give” it back for “FREE”
As it stands you have two problems..

1) you need a place to live that won’t cause respiratory diseases.

2.) you need to dispose of the trailer, which will COST you money unless your willing to take it apart and sell it piece by piece and scrap whatever is left over.

You need to have a place with land or parking out in the country probably that will allow you to start a scrap operation in your backyard.

You seem like a ambitious person ..hopefully your brother is as well I would get a small place you can afford and work ANY jobs that you can. Maybe one of you could do night shift till you get on your feet. That way a small place won’t seem so small because only one of you would be occupying it for any one time.
Put all of your money together with one goal in mind..(finding a place camper or mobile home maybe) and then settle in to more conventional jobs.
Even if you bought a tent and slept in your mothers back yard for a few weeks and used her bathroom and kitchen you would be way better off then the rv from HELL your brothers “friend “ gave you. I’m not advocating starting a tent city ...I just wouldn’t sleep in that trailer for any reason and the look I got of it from your video is as close as I ever would get.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:58 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

I kind of thought the same as the last post. Having a canopy in your truck bed and sleeping in it would be safe, the trailer not so.
I have been in homeless folks tents that are better for your health. There are homeless over night places to stay in, about every city is the US. That mold must all be removed before someone lives in it. What about rat and mouse poo. I can already tell it came from a hoarders home.
After seeing the photos and watching the video, I figured this was all just for fun. No one would even think that is, could be, has been or will be safe for a human or dog. Enough of my time spend reading and posting a replies.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Samm, as you can tell there is a lot of concern for your health and wellbeing caused by the condition of the trailer and that has been explained. Of course it is up to you to determine your exact circumstances and what cards you have to play, if any, to improve your situation.

While I agree that the best solution is to find better accommodations I am also realistic enough to understand that may not "be in the cards" for you. In that case your only option may be to do what you can with what you have until you can get an improvement. With that;

You have used expanding foam and flexseal - where exactly? From the video you had some extensive leaks and those will be coming from gaps outside. Are you sealing from the inside or outside? Putting things inside is just covering up the problem which will lead to more problems. You will have to stop the leaking where they are originating before trying to do anything with the inside. A video, possibly like the one you did on the inside, of the roof and slides would help greatly in determining what is going on. And again, blue tarp it until it is fixed. As you know here on the coast the rain comes in every few days so it needs to be covered.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:24 PM   #19
jasin1

One other option is you can put it on Craigslist for trade for a different trailer . You may find someone with a older smaller trailer that wants a challenge and has the knowledge to renovate it. The more you do to try and stop the leaks by using spray foam then you may never get the slides to close again. I agree with the blue tarp or maybe find a place that has indoor storage for a month or so until you can get it watertight. I’m sorry if I seemed unsympathetic before.. that wasn’t my intention

Tags
repairs