Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
JRlikesRVliving

1 year maintenance

Hello,

I’ve had my 2019 keystone cougar a year now. I bought it new last fall. I’m practically living in it full time.

What do I need to do for maintenance after one year? I want to take good care of this thing. I don’t want to forget anything.

I’m hearing just seal the roof for now. Is that it?

Thanks,
J
JRlikesRVliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

Spend a few minutes and read through all the stuff the dealer gave you. Lots of information will help answer your questions the way the people who made the items or built the RV want you to maintain it.
After any questions you have about a item ask.
To answer your question completely would take awhile to type out and this forum usually times me out on longer posts, than all is lost.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

If you've not gone over, under, around and through your trailer by now it is way past time. Roof seals should be checked every 90 days. If you do this for a while you can get away with 2 times a year but if you have any kind of warranty on it you need to do it every quarter. Drain fresh water and hwh; flush/sanitize. Check, clean and treat all seals. Get under the slides and check the material under them and make sure it is not frayed or fraying. Look under the trailer for any bulges in the coroplast, drooping cables/lines, broken supports. If you haven't, remove the wheels, check the brakes, clean and repack the bearings. Wash and wax the exterior with a good uv protectant coating. Many other things if you've not done anything to it but that will definitely get you started. It's much easier to just spread the chores out over the year and sort of get a schedule established.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
ChuckS

A small checklist I put together for another forum. It’s not all inclusive but should give you a good basis to work from
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Annual Maintenace.pdf (150.5 KB, 128 views)
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I know it's not "manly" to read the instructions before using or assembling things, we've all fallen into that trap occasionally, but:

When in doubt, the Keystone Owner's Manual is an excellent source of maintenance information....

Chapter 13, starting (in the latest edition) on page 85, there is an extremely detailed instruction set that includes everything from the tires/axles all the way up to the roof structure and from the hitch A-frame all the way back to the rear bumper... it even includes cleaning instructions for the bedspread.

The last item in the Owner's Manual (just before the Appendix) is a table of required maintenance actions and provides a "time requirement" starting with "before use", "After trip", "Monthly", "Every 3 months", "Every 6 months" and "Yearly"....

I'd suggest spending an hour or so, reading, studying and then following the very detailed maintenance instructions and requirements that are (or should be) in the "book you rely on to use and maintain your Keystone Trailer".....

If you don't have a copy of the Owner's Manual, you can download one at this link: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/owners-manuals/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
Bill-2020

Good details here from a few long-time owners who have the experience of continual upkeep and maintenance.

Now... bedspread cleaning instructions, John? You mean I (rather the DW) was supposed to get a matching bedspread with the new camper?!

(I actually do remember seeing that in the manual and just assumed the bedspreads were included in the higher end units.)
Old 08-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Bill,

I'm not sure if Passport is/was including "decor items" with the 239ML because of the Murphy bed. The "official Keystone website" still lists, in the "standards and options" area, in the "bedroom features" a quilted bed cover.....

To be honest, the "GAWFUL" (God awful) bedspread they put in our trailer is a "golden brown" (think baby poop) silken "thing" that slides off the bed with the slightest movement and is marked, "DRY CLEAN ONLY"... Why anyone would think an ugly bedspread that can't be washed is a "good idea for a travel trailer, used for dry camping in dirty areas common for hunting, fishing and smoky campfires is beyond my comprehension !!!!! One of the first things we did was to put that bedspread in a "vacuum storage bag" and store it on the top shelf of the spare bedroom closet (in the house, not in the trailer).....

I'd say, that if Keystone "was gracious enough to spare you the insult of their "decorator's choices" you're a lucky man !!!!!

In other words, not getting a "free bedspread" is probably one of the better things your dealership did for you !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Bill,

I'm not sure if Passport is/was including "decor items" with the 239ML because of the Murphy bed. The "official Keystone website" still lists, in the "standards and options" area, in the "bedroom features" a quilted bed cover.....

To be honest, the "GAWFUL" (God awful) bedspread they put in our trailer is a "golden brown" (think baby poop) silken "thing" that slides off the bed with the slightest movement and is marked, "DRY CLEAN ONLY"... Why anyone would think an ugly bedspread that can't be washed is a "good idea for a travel trailer, used for dry camping in dirty areas common for hunting, fishing and smoky campfires is beyond my comprehension !!!!! One of the first things we did was to put that bedspread in a "vacuum storage bag" and store it on the top shelf of the spare bedroom closet (in the house, not in the trailer).....

I'd say, that if Keystone "was gracious enough to spare you the insult of their "decorator's choices" you're a lucky man !!!!!

In other words, not getting a "free bedspread" is probably one of the better things your dealership did for you !!!!!
Yep... that's exactly where ours is too... next time it sees the light of day will be when we sell this trailer..

The couple who just bought ol'333 remarked "the bed spread looks like new, how on earth did you keep it so clean"
Old 08-26-2020, 01:48 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Haaa! Same thing here. We had to go find the one that came on our last trailer because we forgot where we put it and yep, there in the closet in a vacuum bag....just as ugly as the day we bought the trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Keystone should offer some "delete" options.

I'd check the boxes on :
1. Trailer King Tires
2. OEM mattress
3. Bed Coverings
4. The "toy" fire extinguisher that wouldn't put out a kitchen fire in a Barbie Doll house
5. The sink faucets
6. The dealer supplied battery
7. The dealer supplied "starter kit" that has hoses and a roll of tp that came from a cheap gas station restroom.

That's a quick "off the top of my head" list. I'm sure there's plenty more.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #11
wiredgeorge

Our 2002 Cougar bedspread is fitted and is actually very nice quality. It is folded up and put in the above-bed storage which is pretty much just a head buster since we discarded the OEM mattress before taking possession and installed a 14" residential queen which is one of the reasons the above bed storage is a head buster; about 8" thicker than the original mattress.

To add to the delete list is any Thetford Aquamagic abomination as well as the original shower head and hose. CHEEEEEP. In our trailer we have aluminum 1" blinds and they truly are miserable and bend every time we travel; they are always put on the cheesy plastic keepers to avoid coming loose but manage to come loose and eventually I will need to do something about the blinds.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:53 PM   #12
dutchmensport

Separate your mind from the fact you own the camper. Go outside for a while, do something different, then come back to the camper. You have just arrived to purchase this camper. In your mind, you know nothing about it. Now, step back and examine everything on the camper from top to bottom and from end to end as if you are going to purchase it. You know in your mind it's a used camper, so you are looking for every defect and item worn and used to negotiate a reduced price form the "imagined" seller. Take notes, just like you would if you were purchasing the camper and even take photos of those items you feel would give you an edge at negotiating a better bargain price. Put that list together, and those are the items you should address to either fix or update. Do the fixes and repairs and check them off your list. That's what needs attention after one year.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #13
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Our 2002 Cougar bedspread is fitted and is actually very nice quality. It is folded up and put in the above-bed storage which is pretty much just a head buster since we discarded the OEM mattress before taking possession and installed a 14" residential queen.
After being cut to size, our Cougar bedspread makes an admirable protective mat for storing our grill for travel on the counter of the outdoor kitchen.

We added a 4" mattress topper to our OEM Serta 'king', even the topper has caused a few near 'headbuster' moments. However, I have to say, it did improve the overall comfort of the mattress.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #14
Gegrad

We use the factory bedspread.... but we did pull the OEM mattress and installed an older pillow top residential mattress on top of the wooden base. definitely added some weight over the original.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #15
Bill-2020

I didn’t mean to derail this thread but Keystone can delete the headbuster and the solar prep. Especially the solar prep. Oh, delete the short 24” sewer hose keeper too. Well, I guess you could store a couple of “Ronco Pocket Fisherman’s” in there.
Old 08-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

I have considered removing the wall to wall cabinet above the bed (usually have a couple bumps and bruises every time I sit up upon awakening. Can't imagine what it looks like behind and would probably end up with a tube of caulk and painting. Not sure I am there yet... perhaps wearing my motorcycle helmet to bed would be a good sleeping hack?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 04:06 AM   #17
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I didn’t mean to derail this thread but Keystone can delete the headbuster and the solar prep. Especially the solar prep. Oh, delete the short 24” sewer hose keeper too. Well, I guess you could store a couple of “Ronco Pocket Fisherman’s” in there.
DW just reminded me that the Passport doesn't have the headbuster... that was on the Jayco. See! Obviously I knocked myself senseless!

Tags
maintenance