Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
texas-traveler

# of Outlets tied to single GFI

2018 av 320 rs 5r. the Issue I have is the factory installed 7, 15 amp outlets to the 15amp GFI outlet in the bathroom from a single 15 amp breaker. (gfi in bathroom, outside outlet, br. dresser, 2 in basement, galley island, television, and next to stove
Is this a normal for rv wiring practices?
Second issue is there is a apparently live wire behind the pantry not terminated. believe it is from the outlet beside the pantry. will verify this week.
any help would be appreciated
texas-traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #2
Logan X

It is normal to have all of the GFCI outlets tied together. Your situation sounds a bit excessive though.

My GFCI outlets are in the bathroom (the only one with a reset button) outdoor kitchen, outside, and kitchen. All in the same circuit. If one trips, it has to be reset in the bathroom.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:46 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s very common to have a multitude of outlets “daisy chained” to a single circuit. I don’t know if there is a maximum number of outlets per RVIA standards.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
GHen

I’m sure there is no problem with lots of outlets, it just cares how much load it plugged into those outlets. A heater, hair dryer and a coffee maker is not going to work. 6 phone charges would probably be fine.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
LewisB

I think our 2018 Raptor has at least 7 on one GFI receptacle (3 in kitchen/island area, 1 in each bathroom, 1 outside on the curb side, and 1 inside the pass through storage on the curb side). Yes, seems like too many to me as well.

The GFI receptacle is in the bathroom; Keystone missed an opportunity on this one - I would have guessed they would put the GFI in the pass through storage, making sure you had to get dressed and go outside in the rain at night to reset the system! ha-ha
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:31 PM   #6
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post

The GFI receptacle is in the bathroom; Keystone missed an opportunity on this one - I would have guessed they would put the GFI in the pass through storage, making sure you had to get dressed and go outside in the rain at night to reset the system! ha-ha
That’s exactly right! I’m surprised the Keystone engineers didn’t plan that out better.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
texas-traveler

thanks for the input

Thanks to all. I thought the number of outlets was a little excessive coming off a master gfi in the rv. Originally had a constant gfi fault on maiden voyage. had to bypass the gfi to have power during the trip. took to service dept. could not duplicate original problem.
During discovery phase I was able to identify what is causing the issue but have not fixed yet. will follow up on a later thread when total resolved.
I did review the NEC electrical safety code manual for residential/commercial for any reference to rv industry standards [very skimpy}and it implied it could have a few more outlets than residential wiring codes but not very much information.
the other issue I indicated with the extra 12/2 power line behind the pantry wall to be just excess cull wiring that was discarded behind the wall and frame. checked it for power and then found it dead and removed
Old 05-13-2020, 02:12 PM   #8
Pull Toy

I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread, but there's another "Hidden" dedicated outlet behind your refrigerator that ties in to your GFI circuit also. The rules are that if any outlet can be accessed while standing on EARTH GROUND, it must be Ground Fault protected. You'll find a dedicated outlet for your 'fridge behind the outside lower access panel.

Ask me how I know... DW was packing for a trip. I got a call to come home from work to fix the 'fridge. After checking all breakers etc... I ran an extension cord to the outside access panel, the lights came on inside. Took a while to figure out, but sure enough the reset button in the bathroom outlet was tripped. "Who'd a thunk it?"

Back in the 1970's my dogs wouldn't use the steps to get in or out of the camper. They'd leap in and out without using the stairs. I found out why when I exited the trailer in my bare feet. NOT FUN!!! There was a wiring issue in the pedestal. Neutral was HOT, and (you guessed it) HOT was Neutral This created a HOT CHASSIS condition. If you were on the step, and touching the grass, you got bit while stepping on or off. GFCI hadn't been invented yet. It would have made a difference! I carried a multi-meter for years to check ground and neutral before plugging in. That's also why all modern 110v plugs are now polarized. Wide blade / Narrow blade plugs are now standard to avoid mismatched polarity. I know that sounds strange for A/C current, but there are times it matters.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outlets