Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2022, 11:40 AM   #1
Dlcook

Adding Second Battery to Trailer

Does anyone know where the schematic is located for adding a second battery to my 27RESWE?
Dlcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:00 PM   #2
RV-burrito

Assuming your first battery is 12 volts and you are intending to keep it at 12 volts you will be wiring the batteries in parallel: positive on batt1 to positive on batt2 to the trailer and negative on batt1 to negative on batt2 to the trailer. That will maintain 12 volts but double the Ah rating.

Searching "12 volt batteries in parallel" in a search engine will give you a good diagram if you need a visual.

Have a great day!
1978 Georgie Boy (Dodge Chassis) currently being remodeled
RV-burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-burrito View Post
Assuming your first battery is 12 volts and you are intending to keep it at 12 volts you will be wiring the batteries in parallel: positive on batt1 to positive on batt2 to the trailer and negative on batt1 to negative on batt2 to the trailer. That will maintain 12 volts but double the Ah rating.

Searching "12 volt batteries in parallel" in a search engine will give you a good diagram if you need a visual.

Have a great day!
No.other changes necessary if following these directions. Just be sure to use the same qauge wire as the original when connecting the 2 batteries.
Do not just add another battery to an older battery! If the older one is weak it will cannibalize the new battery shortening it's life considerably, always uses matching batteries of the same age.
Also for a rv be sure they are deep cycle batteries, not the same as you'd use in your truck/car. If there's CCA, CA or MCA numbers listed they are cranking batteries not deep cycle. You need a pair of batteries with the highest aH, amp hours, possible wired parallel.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:28 PM   #4
Dlcook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-burrito View Post

Have a great day!
I am replacing the original wet cell battery and adding two 12V dry cell batteries.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlcook View Post
I am replacing the original wet cell battery and adding two 12V dry cell batteries.
Depending on what those "dry cell batteries" are your converter may or may not charge them properly. Post back the make & model number of your converter and batteries. Knowing the year of your trailer might help as well.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:22 PM   #6
Dlcook

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Depending on what those "dry cell batteries" are your converter may or may not charge them properly. Post back the make & model number of your converter and batteries. Knowing the year of your trailer might help as well.
This is a 2020 27RESWE Cougar. I was told by Keystone it would be ok. But certainly don't want to take any chances.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:25 PM   #7
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlcook View Post
What exactly is a 12v dry cell battery?

What physical size are they?

What is the make and model of the battery?
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:13 AM   #8
hornet28

here's a diagram for hook-up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Parallel 2.png
Views:	71
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	37969  
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:29 AM   #9
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
What exactly is a 12v dry cell battery?

What physical size are they?

What is the make and model of the battery?
Most likely talking about an AGM battery or maybe even a Lithium Ion
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:08 PM   #10
jawsmon

An alternative would be to install 2 6V deep cycle batteries (golf cart batteries) and wire the in series that way you are assured that both batteries will discharge the same and charge the same. I've done this for many years and get exceptional battery life out of this arrangement. I have 4 years on my current pair and a recent load test shows that they are at 90+% of a new set. They should be good for several more years.
I was lucky to get 3 years out of a pair of 12V batteries wired in parallel.

Cost wise both set ups are close to the same. I buy batteries at Costco and they have performed well.

note; keep your batteries fully charged all the time. Install a 'battery tender' or equal and keep it plugged in constantly year round.
jawsmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery