Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2020, 09:37 PM   #1
dklee

HELLO! about to purchase!

Greetings everyone.

I'm new to the RV life. So new, that i don't have one yet. Now i did dabble in a 1967 Airstream Safari in hopes of renovating it, but you know how that goes, nothing got done....

So now, i am going to purchase my first Brand New RV.

I'm looking at the Montana 3855BR

My needs were:

1. East West Bed, so i have lots of closet space
2. An area for an office. The Bonus room/loft was perfect.
3. Spacious Kitchen

In all my research, this fits my needs. The only thing i wish was the bathroom was a tad bigger, but no biggie.

If i am making a mistaken, please let me know. If there is another make/model i should consider, please let me know.

the sales rep keep telling me the Montana is a great unit. everything on the inside looks wonderful. The only negative reviews i have read has been that the cabinet doors will start peeling? That the quality is more show, no go?

any advice would be great!

thanks for welcoming me. can't wait.
dklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 03:57 AM   #2
notanlines

First, let me welcome you to the forum. You seem to have bitten off quite a chunk for your first RV. The Montana IS a very nice RV. Keep this in mind: For this model to be one of Keystone's bell cows, and cost what they do, they have still manufactured more than 100,000 of this model alone. That HAS to say something about it. This is a very long RV, probably in excess of 40' and weighing in excess of 16-17,000 pounds. Keep in mind that when loaded the way you want it your pin weight will be right at 3800-4000 lbs.
LOTS of amenities inside and out, and will probably take you a full year to get the bugs ironed out and settle in to being comfortable in towing and setting up.
Make very, VERY sure that your tow vehicle is at a minimum a SRW 350/3500. and most probably a dually from one of the big three. There are simply no foreign brands capable of towing this RV.
I hope this thread takes off with the opinions of a large number of members here. We have a collection of seriously talented men and women here and most simply can't wait to put in their two cents. And that is what we're all here for isn't it!
Again, welcome to the forum. And maybe tell us a little more about yourself and your needs in an RV.
On edit: You can probably plan on throwing the factory mattress as far as possible and purchasing your own.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:07 AM   #3
Logan X

Welcome to the forum!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:56 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

Couple things to consider and first and foremost is whether you are going to full time in that trailer or just go camping. Based on your initial comments, sounds like full time or extended stays in the camper. Next is how often you plan on moving around, if at all, in that camper. The suggest affects the tow vehicle you choose. If you are going to stay for extended periods, does Keystone honor the warranty if you full time or will your RV insurance company cover full time living?

If you plan on pulling that trailer, keep in mind it is about the biggest you will find and with a tow vehicle makes the logistics of towing a consideration; a 41' trailer would scare me but others likely can drive and handle a trailer of that size better than I could. If you do pull it around, keep in mind the tow vehicle (likely a one ton dually) isn't always a great around town vehicle. If you set up in one space permanently, perhaps hiring a mover would make more sense than dropping a fortune on a one ton.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 05:58 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Jim has covered it very well. My advice is to first ignore or listen to about 10% of what the salesman has to say. He's there to make a sale for the most money he can get. Period. You're choice is just that, what fits your wants and needs.

Take your time and investigate. It's a big purchase and from your desire for an office you may be looking at full timing? If you can go look at them and spend time in them. Things can look great in a brochure or on your computer but when actually inside you may find a "knee knocker" or the bedroom ceiling is too low, or you can't set on the couch and see the television, etc. Walk around, sit, lay, stand in the shower, pretend your cooking.

What are you going to tow it with? See first advice DON'T RELY ON THE SALESMAN FOR ADVICE ON THIS. Whatever the "advertised" "published" weights are IGNORE THEM. Look at the max weights as that's closer to what you'll be hitching up.

Where do plan to go with the rig? Most state/federal campgrounds aren't big rig friendly . Many private campgrounds (especially on the east coast) don't accommodate big rigs well. Often the roads in the cg can have sharp turns with obstacles. If you look at my signature I'm towing a 36' "bumper pull" which is about as long as a 40" fiver bus less maneuverable. Best advice is to call ahead and ask questions and or look at satellite images. Sa for fueling only even tighter in non-truck stops.

Jim also makes an excellent point on the mattress. Save yourself a trip to the dump and tell the dealer to take it out. Measure it carefully before ordering a replacement. Not all Kings and Queens are created equally in the RV kingdoms.

I'm not trying to throw a damper on your enthusiasm but hopefully helping you avoid some pitfalls along the way. Much luck on your search and adventures ahead.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! That is biting off a big chunk for your first trailer so do LOTS of homework on what you need to tow it with. Many things have been covered and more will come up as you progress.

IMO I wouldn't go with less than a 1 ton DRW (obviously diesel) for that large of a trailer. I pull a smaller, lighter 5th wheel with my 1 ton and wouldn't strap that on the back of it; the weight would make me uncomfortable with just 2 rear tires on the truck.

All RVs can have odd sized mattresses. Make sure you get a "residential" size. If that's what is in the trailer measure it to make sure you can buy just a plain mattress like you would for your house and not a special sized RV mattress. If it isn't a standard residential size modify the platform to fit a normal sized mattress....you will be very happy you did.

Have you looked at the Cougar 368MBI? Sounds like it has what you are looking for and is a bit lighter.

As was mentioned, go through the trailer carefully to make sure all aspects "fit". As an example, for me, I have to have the TV where I can cook and watch it. Many trailers aren't set up that way. We had our eyes on a Cougar 315RLS until we made a walk through of it. We had liked the model last year but when we walked through one just before we bought this found that the island had been moved toward the stove. It was uncomfortably close without any way of opening drawers or doors unless you stood off to the side - a no go for us.

Good luck in your search. Lots of good, knowledgeable folks here willing to help out and answer questions so don't hesitate to ask when the need arises.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:08 AM   #7
travelin texans

Welcome!
Fulltiming is a great lifestyle, but does have some challenges.
As mentioned not all parks are created equal & some of the folks taking the reservations don't fully understand what a "big rig" may be. A 40'+ 5th wheel is not the same as a 40'+ motorhome towing a small vehicle.
Also good recommendation on a 1 ton diesel dually, brand of your choice, would not tow that beast you're looking at with anything less.
Before you sign on the dotted line go through it with a fine tooth comb, pencil & paper in hand, open every door/drawer, turn/pull every knob, look over/under everything inside & out, run every system on every power source ie; water, electric, propane, have show all the dump valve locations, fresh water fill & pump locations & if you take someone with you have them film it with an iPad or phone for future reference.
Once the inspection is complete give them the list of repairs to be done before signing, everything should be to your satisfaction before signing, if not depending on your dealer, once the rear bumper clears their driveway the sale is complete as far they are concerned & getting those items rectified afterwards may be a challenge. If all repairs can not be made at that time get a time line with what is to be done in writing signed by the dealers GM & service manager. As mentioned earlier only believe about 10% of whatever your salesman is telling you about the RV & nothing regarding a tow vehicle.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:43 AM   #8
jsb5717

Welcome aboard! You must be a "go-big-or-go-home" / "jump in at the deep end of the pool" kind of guy 'cause that's what you're considering. That's not to say it's a bad decision but there's plenty of room for caution.

There's already been some great advise so I'm just adding my 2 cents of 35 years of towing

1. Don't be too quick to drive away with your new rig without a VERY thorough PDI. There will be other issues down the road but be as critical up front as you can
2. Listen to the advise above about your tow vehicle. A 1-ton dually is likely in your future
3. Learn to drive it. Without previous experience you will need time to learn how to navigate and anticipate the needs of the length, width, height, and weight of your chosen setup. It's hard to short-cut that learning. Find large, empty parking lots and practice towing, stopping, turning, backing. You won't regret it.

Good luck and happy camping!
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
Gary R.

Greetings and welcome to forum!

Good luck with your trailer and truck purchase.

Take care,

Gary
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 10:27 PM   #10
dklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Have you looked at the Cougar 368MBI? Sounds like it has what you are looking for and is a bit lighter.
Yes, the one reason i didn't like it was because the built in desk was basically cut in half.
is it that big of a deal for me to pay that much more? i don't know.... still deciding.

Yes, looking at a truck is step 2. for now, i believe the dealership will deliver the RV to where i need it, and after that, i would pay someone to tow it to whatever the next adventure takes me, until i find the right vehicle.

thanks for all the warm welcomes and advices so far.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:48 PM   #11
dklee

I know this is a Keystone forum, but today, someone pointed out the Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback 35LFT
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/fifth...ion/35LFT/4919

Montana. Official MSRP:$97,868
Cedar Creek Official MSRP: $95,207

argh.. decisions decisions...

So price wise, roughly the same.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:50 AM   #12
gearhead

Take about 30% off that MSRP for a realistic purchase price.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklee View Post
I know this is a Keystone forum, but today, someone pointed out the Forest River Cedar Creek Silverback 35LFT
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/fifth...ion/35LFT/4919

Montana. Official MSRP:$97,868
Cedar Creek Official MSRP: $95,207

argh.. decisions decisions...

So price wise, roughly the same.
The best one is the one that best suits YOUR needs/wants!
Is the Montana better than the Silverback? I seriously doubt there's a nickels worth of quality difference between them, they will have all the same appliances & other equipment, they're both built in the same geographic location by the same local workforce, both will have issues just possibly different issues.
When shopping check out the service departments reputation rather than the best sales price as once you've bought you don't need the sales department again, but if service takes 6 months to change a light bulb that is a big problem.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #14
dklee

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The best one is the one that best suits YOUR needs/wants!
Is the Montana better than the Silverback? I seriously doubt there's a nickels worth of quality difference between them, they will have all the same appliances & other equipment, they're both built in the same geographic location by the same local workforce, both will have issues just possibly different issues.
When shopping check out the service departments reputation rather than the best sales price as once you've bought you don't need the sales department again, but if service takes 6 months to change a light bulb that is a big problem.
YES! thanks!!! i tend to think about price first and would be willing to travel to buy the RV, but if the one that is located down the street gives me the best service, after the fact, but priced higher, why not. i should give them my business.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
YES! thanks!!! i tend to think about price first and would be willing to travel to buy the RV, but if the one that is located down the street gives me the best service, after the fact, but priced higher, why not. i should give them my business.

Where you buy will affect your ability to get warranty work done. RV dealers are not under any obligation to do warranty work on a unit they didn’t sell, and some don’t even do it on units they did sell.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #16
gearhead

So, lets get to the point...
Are you wanting to live in it fulltime?
Are you using it to travel while you live in it full time?
Are you going to just use it for occasional trips while living in a traditional house?
Are you going to park it in a location nearby and use as a weekend "cabin"?
Do you have a place at your home to store it, or have you budgeted a storage lot?
Why do you want a 5th wheel?
How many people will be sleeping/living in the trailer?

I'd say you're going to be about $70,000 for the trailer and $60,000 for a heavy duty truck.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:31 AM   #17
sonofcy

Quote:
Greetings everyone.

I'm new to the RV life. So new, that i don't have one yet. Now i did dabble in a 1967 Airstream Safari in hopes of renovating it, but you know how that goes, nothing got done....

So now, i am going to purchase my first Brand New RV.

I'm looking at the Montana 3855BR

My needs were:

1. East West Bed, so i have lots of closet space
2. An area for an office. The Bonus room/loft was perfect.
3. Spacious Kitchen

In all my research, this fits my needs. The only thing i wish was the bathroom was a tad bigger, but no biggie.

If i am making a mistaken, please let me know. If there is another make/model i should consider, please let me know.

the sales rep keep telling me the Montana is a great unit. everything on the inside looks wonderful. The only negative reviews i have read has been that the cabinet doors will start peeling? That the quality is more show, no go?

any advice would be great!

thanks for welcoming me. can't wait.
I have a 2018 Montana delivered Sep 2017. The doors are NOT peeling, probably because they are solid wood.

What diesel dually did you buy to tow it with. Your pin weight will likely be 3,700 plus pounds.
I have a 3811MS and even with a 450 are still slightly overloaded. I would have been better off with a 350 but the 450 is a beefier truck because it's an MDT not a LDT. I also wanted the bigger brakes, the diesl breezes up the hills with a 4.30 rear end but stopping is the tricky part. I usually just engage cruise and auto engine brake, put both feet flat on the floor and enjoy the view. Let the computers do the driving, they have more information and experience.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:43 AM   #18
Roscommon48

d if this is the RV you want go for it. Each of us have our own opinion on what is the best.

As for the 'peeling' door issue the legacy has solid doors if i recall, but more money.
There are a lot of issues that will probably come up like your suspension or frame flex but time will tell.
Personally my preference would be a shorter/lighter trailer. If you need an office I'd probably look at a toy hauler where you can do almost anything in that space. Regardless it is your 5th wheel, enjoy.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #19
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
...If you need an office I'd probably look at a toy hauler where you can do almost anything in that space. Regardless it is your 5th wheel, enjoy.
This is a great comment worth consideration. We bought a toy hauler with a second bath for this very reason. The "garage" is probably more commonly used as the photo lab, sewing room, office, guest bedroom, dining room, grand kids play room, etc. than it is to haul our side-by-side (SxS). Combined with the patio/party deck and 3 season sliding doors, this is the most useful space on our entire rig!

Also, a toy hauler typically has more waste tank capacity, more fresh water capacity, and commonly includes a built-in generator. These items are important if you will be camping/staying anywhere that does NOT have city water, power, and sewer hookups.

Lastly, as an owner of a one ton DRW crew cab 4x4, that's the only way to go for a trailer this size and length.
Best of luck making a decision that meets all your needs!
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:59 PM   #20
RaySjerven

Your going to spend a lot of money and you'd expect no problems. Well, probably not. Yes, it's warranted, but you can spend a lot of time waiting for an appointment at an authorized repair shop, or just sitting there waiting. Buy some tools, and buy a book for simple repairs. If you're mechanically inclined, no problem.
RaySjerven is offline   Reply With Quote