Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2021, 06:45 AM   #41
chuckster57
Site Team

JMHO, but I think the Coleman Mach is a better unit. Why add a different brand?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 06:50 AM   #42
Soonerdad

I would probably prefer to add a matching Coleman unit; definitely not just sold on adding a Dometic AC, I just have not been able to find anything that comes close to the detailed instructions in this thread on how to connect a Coleman AC. If I could find any instructions on wiring up a Coleman AC like what is included here I would probably just go with that...
Soonerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:48 AM   #43
chuckster57
Site Team

If it’s in the front bedroom, I would probably just bypass all the hassles and put a ceiling control in. JMO, YMMV

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:37 AM   #44
Soonerdad

FYI, I just heard back from ASA (maker of the iN-Command system) and they confirmed what I suspected (and hoped), that YES it should work fine with a different brand for the second unit as long as both can communicate properly with the iN-Command system. It will probably be about a month or so before I get around to installing the second unit; I'll update afterwards and let you know how it works!
Old 01-15-2021, 05:58 AM   #45
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerdad View Post
FYI, I just heard back from ASA (maker of the iN-Command system) and they confirmed what I suspected (and hoped), that YES it should work fine with a different brand for the second unit as long as both can communicate properly with the iN-Command system. It will probably be about a month or so before I get around to installing the second unit; I'll update afterwards and let you know how it works!
When you do the project would you mind adding your experience and data to this thread so we have all the info in one place. Or, if you're supposed to start a new thread, would you post a note here that tells us to look for the new thread.

Thanks
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:07 AM   #46
Soonerdad

Definitely! I think it should stay in this thread as I'll be using all the excellent information from this thread to do my project!
Old 02-28-2021, 12:30 PM   #47
19Cougar28sgs

What is your height after 2nd ac install

What is the new height after install?
19Cougar28sgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #48
Soonerdad

I just received all the parts this week, it may be a few weeks til it’s installed but I’ll update then.

I don’t expect it to raise it more than an inch, maybe two at most, as it is located next to the Winegard Air360 antenna which is fairly tall.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:20 PM   #49
mikec557

Quote:
I just received all the parts this week, it may be a few weeks til it’s installed but I’ll update then.

I don’t expect it to raise it more than an inch, maybe two at most, as it is located next to the Winegard Air360 antenna which is fairly tall.
Any news yet on your install?
Mike
Old 05-03-2021, 06:13 AM   #50
Soonerdad

So sort of a non-update... I still have not installed the new unit, but I inspected the existing Coleman unit in the main (rear) part of the trailer, and it does not have the plug that was referred to in KC10Chief's original instructions, which is supposed to be connected when you install the second unit. There are several groups of wires that are connected with wire nuts, so I'm hoping that whatever function that plug served with a Dometic installation might already be connected in the Coleman installation. My plan is to go ahead and install the new Dometic in the front of the trailer using the rest of KC10Chief's instructions (along with the additional helpful info from Carlosgg87, markcee, and others), and see how it goes! Worst case, it will be a stand-alone unit with its own controls...
Old 05-03-2021, 07:15 AM   #51
mikec557

Quote:
So sort of a non-update... I still have not installed the new unit, but I inspected the existing Coleman unit in the main (rear) part of the trailer, and it does not have the plug that was referred to in KC10Chief's original instructions, which is supposed to be connected when you install the second unit. There are several groups of wires that are connected with wire nuts, so I'm hoping that whatever function that plug served with a Dometic installation might already be connected in the Coleman installation. My plan is to go ahead and install the new Dometic in the front of the trailer using the rest of KC10Chief's instructions (along with the additional helpful info from Carlosgg87, markcee, and others), and see how it goes! Worst case, it will be a stand-alone unit with its own controls...
Curiosity makes me want to go look at mine. But survival instinct is telling me don't touch it if it's working fine. So, I don't know what the terminator plug looks like in the black box Bridge inside the AC unit, but I think in general it will look like the one pictured in the top right corner of this page out of the InCommand book.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210503-081338.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	33336  
Old 05-03-2021, 07:25 AM   #52
mikec557

Is this plug, the one with the black wire (or black shrink tube) the plug you said is missing? I think there's a resister shrunk wrapped inside there.

Did you get these pictures of KC's install? If not I can email them to you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	33341   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1394.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	33342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1395.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	33343  
Old 05-03-2021, 12:59 PM   #53
Soonerdad

It's actually that bottom picture that you included. The plug on the right with the green and yellow wires is apparently hanging loose if you don't have a second AC unit installed, so you plug it in on your original unit when you add the second AC. Mine doesn't have that particular plug up there in the existing Coleman AC unit. Probably a difference in the gateways.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #54
markcee

Quote:
It's actually that bottom picture that you included. The plug on the right with the green and yellow wires is apparently hanging loose if you don't have a second AC unit installed, so you plug it in on your original unit when you add the second AC. Mine doesn't have that particular plug up there in the existing Coleman AC unit. Probably a difference in the gateways.
From my post #26.....

1. When looking at our existing gateway, we did not have the jumper connector that was to be removed and installed on the new gateway. Instead, we had a green/yellow wire with connector already in the slot. We left it intact. I'm am really glad we didn't have the jumper there to remove as there was about a 3" blob of sealant overflow that got on the gateway, essentially sealing the connector in place.

So ours was in fact plugged in already to the Dometic gateway, which confused us, as it wasn't 'hanging loose'. This does seem to be a difference in connectivity between the Dometic and Coleman systems and appears to confirms your reasoning.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:18 PM   #55
TimeTravel

Good evening. Searching for technical advice with regards to wiring for a second ac install in my 2019 Cougar 30RLS. I have read through this thread several times and it is very straight forward.
In preparation, before moving the unit to top of rig, I wanted to take a little time and locate all the wiring/pin connectors noted in the thread. I started at the rear unit dropped filter, located the relay and gateway. Found the small black jumper wire and the yellow cable with 4-pin connector. Great.
Moved to front and removed vent frame and the white dummy terminal with romex cable attached. Great have a power cable. Checked breakers and confirmed I do have a 20amp breaker labeled for the 2nd ac. Found the smaller yellow wire, white wire and red/white looped wire (instead of green/white). The problem (or maybe not) is I can not located a terminal end to the yellow and white wires with the appropriate pin connector. Its like both wires come from somewhere and go somewhere, i.e. when I pull either direction all I get is resistance and no terminal end. Is it possible the pin connectors are buried deep and I just need to pull harder? Kind of leary to do this!
I did speak with Keystone customer service and was told its possible these are looped and would have to be spliced in to. did not sound correct but maybe so.
Would appreciate any thoughts. Hopefully I uploaded the photo correctly as to what I found.
Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3891.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	33822  
TimeTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:36 PM   #56
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTravel View Post
Good evening. Searching for technical advice with regards to wiring for a second ac install in my 2019 Cougar 30RLS. I have read through this thread several times and it is very straight forward.
In preparation, before moving the unit to top of rig, I wanted to take a little time and locate all the wiring/pin connectors noted in the thread. I started at the rear unit dropped filter, located the relay and gateway. Found the small black jumper wire and the yellow cable with 4-pin connector. Great.
Moved to front and removed vent frame and the white dummy terminal with romex cable attached. Great have a power cable. Checked breakers and confirmed I do have a 20amp breaker labeled for the 2nd ac. Found the smaller yellow wire, white wire and red/white looped wire (instead of green/white). The problem (or maybe not) is I can not located a terminal end to the yellow and white wires with the appropriate pin connector. Its like both wires come from somewhere and go somewhere, i.e. when I pull either direction all I get is resistance and no terminal end. Is it possible the pin connectors are buried deep and I just need to pull harder? Kind of leary to do this!
I did speak with Keystone customer service and was told its possible these are looped and would have to be spliced in to. did not sound correct but maybe so.
Would appreciate any thoughts. Hopefully I uploaded the photo correctly as to what I found.
Thank you,
Bear in mind that I have not installed a second a/c here, and I'm no expert. But I was recently in this same area on our 2020 26RBSWE (built 10/19).

For me, I don't buy the "loop needs to be cut" theory. But I suppose stranger things have happened. All my wires in that location were each properly terminated in a connector. I would be more inclined to think the plug end is caught on something. Which brings me to my other point...

I was installing a MaxxAir 10 speed fan with remote. To do that I had to find an always hot 12v source. To that end I removed the vent inside screen, bracket, and beauty ring. I was a little surprised to find all four sides of the attic space closed off. I gently pulled off the 1/8in luan they used to close off the side that is "the front" of the camper.

There were a lot of 12v wires and I found what I needed. But while I was there, I reached around to what I would call the driver side of the vent. That's where all my factory wires for the 2nd a/c are located. Too late to make a long story short, but my point is this. I have a great deal of slack in all those wires. I think it would be easy to get the ends caught in the trusses and or the blanket insulation up there.

If you haven't gotten into the vent area, take a look at that. After I sourced my 12v wire I put the 1/8 luan back in place with a couple flat head screws in case I have to get back in that area.

Edit: okay, after looking at my own pics, maybe not all of the wires had plug ends. But you get the idea. ;-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210428_145638971.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	33827   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210428_145633676.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	33828   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210426_125906500.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	33829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210426_130501625.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	33830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210426_125852608.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	33831  

Old 05-28-2021, 07:11 AM   #57
TimeTravel

Thanks Mike.
I wandered out to the trailer today with a fresh set of eyes, and hopeful to solve the mystery. I had removed the vent shroud yesterday, found the wires on passenger side of vent coming under the ac duct, followed to what I had pulled down and took a quick search of the driver side of vent. Saw the wires disappear under insulation and still had resistance when pulled.
Long story shortened, the wires which disappeared under the insulation were taped to the back side of a support truss. Success, terminal plugs were found.
Mike G.
Old 05-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #58
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTravel View Post
Thanks Mike.
I wandered out to the trailer today with a fresh set of eyes, and hopeful to solve the mystery. I had removed the vent shroud yesterday, found the wires on passenger side of vent coming under the ac duct, followed to what I had pulled down and took a quick search of the driver side of vent. Saw the wires disappear under insulation and still had resistance when pulled.
Long story shortened, the wires which disappeared under the insulation were taped to the back side of a support truss. Success, terminal plugs were found.
Mike G.

That's great. Let us know how your project goes. Did you get the pictures of the original poster?
Old 05-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #59
TimeTravel

I did. Thank you for asking.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:22 PM   #60
TimeTravel

As a follow on to my previous post. The install of the second unit was completed yesterday. From start to finish approx 3 hours. The good news for me was that I volunteered one of my sons to assist in getting the unit onto the roof. He accepted after lunch was thrown in, made my job significantly easier. Plus I did not have to climb up on roof!
I followed the directions as outlined by the OP and it worked. The only difference I found was the looped wire which needed cutting. When I finally located the the two wires with plugs (that was a trip), I then started looking for either the green/white or red/white, actually found a pink/white, dark green/white and green/white.
The wiring guide showed the pink/white to be the 12VDC accessory circuit, the dark green/white 12VDC bed lift circuit (wish I had one of those!) and the green/white the 12VDC interior light circuit. Went to back ac to see which circuit was used to splice the gateway/relay combo into and found they used the pink 1/white 1 wire; therefore, that is what I used for the second unit.
After inCommand rebooted everything worked.
Lastly, a note of caution. Before I closed everything up I kicked on both front and rear fans and the units worked. Thightened down the front unit and closed everything up. Did another test with the fans. Rear came on, front just hummed (power but no fan). What I found was I had torqued the unit down to tightly and the housing was binding the fan. Just a caution note.

Tags
air conditioner