Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
tlw3989

A/C drips inside camper??

Anyone out there experiencing excessive condensation from the rear air unit? My 2013 Avalanche drips alot inside the RV from the reaer unit and now now just started having condensation on the kitched and bathroom vents as well. Will be taking it in for a warranty visit soon so hope Camping World can fix it...and not take weeks to do so. It seems to drip less with the "quick cool" vents open. Front air unit does not drip but it is not ducted (if that has anything to do with it).

This is my 3rd RV and first time with Coleman AC units. I have not had this issue with my previous RVs with Dometic units.

Pictures tell the story..

Thanks!!.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV AC-condensation.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1669   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV AC Vent.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1670  
tlw3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
cmssorrell

The 2nd time I camped with my Avalanche 330E it did the same thing. It was hot and very humid that weekend. I call the dealer the following Monday. The dealer said they had received several call's about the same issue. He said to see what happens the next time I take it out. That was in the middle of May 2012 and hasn't leaked since. Camped about every weekend since then.

Mark

2012 Keystone Avalanche 330RE

2007 Harley Davidson Ultra
2000 Softail Springer
cmssorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
cathcartww

I agree that it is most likely due to excessive humidity, but there are two things you can check:

First, take off the plastic cover and check the mounting bolts (one in each corner). Sometimes the unit settles down on the gasket a bit, and condensation that is supposed to drain onto the roof can find it's way back into the RV. Don't tighten them too much - just snug them down.

Second, while you have the cover off, make sure the round ducts are all hooked up properly. If cold air is leaking out of the ducts, it will cause some condensation. Sometimes the hose-like ducts are not always installed as carefully as they need to be, and you have to push them back into place and re-tape them. You can also check the ones at the ceiling vents, as sometimes the duct comes off there too.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
tlw3989

Thanks for the input! To add a little more, the rear A/C unit has had the dripping since we started to use the A/C in the Spring. We got the RV last October and didnt' need the A/C for several months.

It doesn't drip all the time but more often than not when in use so humidity level may have something to do with it...but summers here in Georgia are pretty consistant with high levels of humidity.

As mentioned, we will be going to the dealer for a warranty visit before long and hope they can find something wrong with the installation or the unit itself. The drips at times are HEAVY right on the pleather chairs so we keep a beach towel on them just in case. At its heaviest time, I would guess at least 1 cup of water over a couple hours of operation which is not acceptable. Oh, and there is plenty of water dripping off the roof as would be expected so that seems normal based on my experience with the past RVs.

Thanks again!
tlw3989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you've got an "unconditioned" (high humidity) air to "conditioned" (low humidity) air leak. Probably in the air plenum box in the ceiling. There is supposed to be an "insulated" separator between the return air and the cooled air supply. Most often it's not well installed and if there's a leak, you can get wet air being blown out to the ducts. If this happens, as soon as the warm air hits the cooler ductwork, it'll condense and form water droplets that get blown along the duct and eventually drip out of the outlets.

Take the A/C ceiling cover off, look carefully at the foam seal tape around the divider and while you're there, check all the attachment bolts (4) that compress the A/C foam roof seal to prevent outside leaks from forming.

Lots of luck, but a cup of water is just too much condensation leakage for an RV that size.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #6
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It sounds like you've got an "unconditioned" (high humidity) air to "conditioned" (low humidity) air leak. Probably in the air plenum box in the ceiling. There is supposed to be an "insulated" separator between the return air and the cooled air supply. Most often it's not well installed and if there's a leak, you can get wet air being blown out to the ducts. If this happens, as soon as the warm air hits the cooler ductwork, it'll condense and form water droplets that get blown along the duct and eventually drip out of the outlets.

Take the A/C ceiling cover off, look carefully at the foam seal tape around the divider and while you're there, check all the attachment bolts (4) that compress the A/C foam roof seal to prevent outside leaks from forming.

Lots of luck, but a cup of water is just too much condensation leakage for an RV that size.
Agree x11tybillion percent.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #7
redridinghood22

Question Sprinter air conditioner leak

We got our new Sprinter on a Wednesday and it was set up by the dealer on our permanent spot in the campground. They turned on the air conditioner and it ran for 24hrs straight . The next day I was sitting in the living room and a dripping caught my eye...the air conditioner was leaking into the trailer!!!!!!! My DH was gone so not knowing what to do, I turned off the air conditioner and the leaking stopped. I checked the inside of the unit but it was dry.. It appears that some unknown debris temporarily blocked something up there on the roof casue hubby turned it back on the next day and it hasn't leaked since...don't know what happened...since I lost my last camper to severe water damage, I am paranoid about any water in my camper that is not in the sink!!!
redridinghood22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 03:40 AM   #8
Bob Landry

There is not going to be so much humidity that the AC can't handle it. That's what air conditioners do. You most likely have blocked drain holes on the pan, a plenum that is improperly taped, or an air leak that id blowing cold air on a warm surface. Pulling the bottom cover off will likely disclose the source of the drip.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote