Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
ohiocougar

4" crack in roof caulk

DH was on the roof this weekend putting on vent covers and noticed this 4" crack where our roof meets the front cover panel. He put more caulk in to fix the hole but I would like some input as to the best way to handle this issue. Should I get the dealer involved or call Keystone direct. The hole is plugged but I have no idea what is underneath and who is going to be responsible for any damage that is not visible but shows up later? I'm sure rain water had to get in there at some point. We've had the trailer for two months but were never on the roof so I don't have any idea how long this has been a problem. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (6).JPG
Views:	198
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1463  
ohiocougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
2011 keystone

I would go to your dealer first. so that there is a record of the problem file.
If you have alredy patched they may not do anything more but at least it is on file in case you find a problem later.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Bruzer 71

What did he use to seal up the hole ? I did the same thing on my 2008 passport It has worked perfectly I went to Hardware store and bought a tube of butyl rubber and got everything hot with a hair dryer and laid down a nice bead and smoothed it out with my finger. Priceless. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bruzer 71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzer 71 View Post
What did he use to seal up the hole ? I did the same thing on my 2008 passport It has worked perfectly I went to Hardware store and bought a tube of butyl rubber and got everything hot with a hair dryer and laid down a nice bead and smoothed it out with my finger. Priceless. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The right stuff to use on our rubber roofs and their transition to any fixtures or seams is the self-leveling Dicor caulk available from many sources online and from RV stores everywhere.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
ohiocougar

We actually just used kitchen & bath silicone that I had on hand. Hoping the dealer will fix it properly but I didn't want to leave it open for anymore damage. Not sure that is the right thing to do but thought it was better than nothing
Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

I would double check with the dealership to make sure that they removed all of the kitchen and bath silicone caulking that you applied. Silicone and EPDM rubber don't go well together! Make sure that the dealer knows what you applied and that it all has been removed before a proper repair was carried out.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #7
ohiocougar

Festus & Steve, thank you for the advice. The dealer's service department is going out this week to fix it correctly.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Jim & Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
The right stuff to use on our rubber roofs and their transition to any fixtures or seams is the self-leveling Dicor caulk available from many sources online and from RV stores everywhere.
You're right Steve, Dicor caulk is the product that Keystone uses on their roof.

HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU
Jim, Kay, & Our Furry Kids
2012 Cougar HC 5er 291RLS aka "Rt 66 B&B"
2008 Toyota Tundra aka "The Hoss" 4X4 Limited DC 5.7 L
6 S Tranny w/TowHaul 4.30 RG 20" tires
Firestone Airbags w/compressor
16K Superglide hitch

Lovers of Route 66
Jim & Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Kay View Post
You're right Steve, Dicor caulk is the product that Keystone uses on their roof.
Very true, and folks should also understand that Dicor manufactures the rubber room membrane itself as well as other cleaning and preservation supplies. In particular, they make a caulk for the rubber roofs that is not self-leveling which makes it perfect for those vertical places where the rubber meets a transition to siding or end cap.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:25 AM   #10
ohiocougar

Thank you for all the info. I will be sure to buy some Dicor and have in on hand for the next time. The good news is the dealer went yesterday to apply the correct caulk.

P.S. - What type of caulk do you recommend around the other seams where I need to worry about water entry?
Old 09-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
Algierskid

Same roof problem

Went camping this weekend. First time in several months. As I was going to bed I noticed some streaks on the wall, after further investigation I found the wall a little soft. After I got home I climbed on the roof and like the first post noticed a small tear between the rubber roof and the front piece. Also from outside you can push on the wall and it feels a little mushy. So now the question. I know there is a problem but not sure what the next step is, other thn getting it fixed. Does anyone think this can be a DYI project. I'm sure the dealer won't fix it for free but does anyone know if insurance or home owners insurance take care of it? I would also guess that just fixing the crack and forgetting the panel is not recommended?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Algierskid is offline   Reply With Quote