Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
Tdoherty

Angry Springdale 294BHSSR Problems

We bought a Keystone Springdale 294BHSSR travel trailer From Colton RV in March of 2011. We wanted a new camper because we were looking for something bigger than what we had. Buying this trailer from Colton was the biggest mistake we ever made. We have had nothing but trouble with it since we bought it. Our old 2003 trail bay never had any problems in the 3 years we had it.
First the salesman ( Jason) didn’t know about this trailer, and told us stuff about this trailer that we later found out were not true. He had told us that an electric awning was no different than a manual awning except it was easier to put in and out. He told us the electric jacks were the best thing out there, and they hardly ever any issues with them. He told us this was one of the most reliable trailers out there. He also told us that if you put a DVD in the DVD player you could watch it back bed room. He told us that the Willkie’s, who recommended Colton to us would receive a $50 referral if we bought the trailer. He told us after we negotiated a price, if we did not sign that day, the offer would not be good, (so we could not think about it or do any research on the camper).
We found out on our very first night camping with this brand new trailer that this was not true. When we went to set up the camper, the back jack would not work at all. After we set everything up, my daughter was walking past the arm of the awning when a slight breeze lifted up the awning about 3 feet and then the awning slammed down with arm just missing my daughters head ( she was afraid to even go near the trailer after that). The bunk bed came loose from the wall, and we were afraid to let the kids use the bunk. The bunk room got a lot hotter than the rest of the trailer, especially the front bedroom. In the morning the windows in the bunk room full of condensation but the rest of the windows were not.
We called Colton’s service dept the next morning, and they said that it should not do that, and that we should bring it in as soon as possible, so we brought it in the next day. They told us it would be three weeks before they could even look at it. With a lot pleading with them they were able to get it in within two weeks. After looking at it they said that the jack needed to be greased, and that I should have greased it ( this is a brand new trailer that had never been out before and I don’t think I should have to grease it before it was ever used ). They said there was nothing wrong with the awning, that you can’t use the awning if there was any wind ( our old manual awning never had any problem with wind or anything), We asked if there was anyway to get a manual awning , Tim Nelligan said no problem, but it would cost us $500, we said we didn’t think we should have to pay to downgrade. The bunk bed they had to put an angle bracket on it to support it. They said there was nothing that could be done to the heater, and to just deal with it. The condensation they said was normal caused by the heater. They said that we should not have any more problems, that they checked everything over and it was all good.
The second time we took it out, We went 3½ hours away to Ohio for memorial weekend. When we were setting the trailer up the back jack was making a squealing noise. The hot water tank would not light and I had to call the manager of Colton at 10:30 at night on Friday , to get it to work. The hot water tank ran out of hot water real quick. The bunk room was a lot hotter than the rest even with the air conditioner on. There was still a lot of condensation on the windows even without the heater on. When we went to hook up the trailer to truck, the tongue jack would not work and we had to call the manager again on Memorial day in order to figure out how to manually work the jack.
When we got home I called Colton RV, I said I was not happy with this trailer at all, and that we would like a different trailer. We were told that it would cost us $6000 to exchange for the same trailer. We E-mailed Jim Colton to let him know how displeased we were with Colton Rv and Keystone. Jim called me and said they would do what ever it took to make us happy, and that he was putting us in contact with the vice president John Santalucia. We called John he changed our rep from Tim Nelligan to Tim Renzoni .
We called Tim R. and he told us to come in look at a different one. We came in and looked and found a couple that we liked in the same price range that we had bought. We were then told that the trailer that we bought for $26,000 was actually only worth $18,000, so we could not get any of them without paying about $10,000 more. We were then told that they would work with Keystone to see about exchanging our Trailer with a new one of the same .
We met with John in the beginning of June 2011. He told us that it would cost us $3,000 to exchange ours with a new one. We told him we didn’t think we should have to pay for something that was not our fault, especially when there was no guarantee that the knew one would not have the same problems. We asked if these problems were normal or did we just get a lemon. He told it was normal to have all these problems, and once these problems were fixed , we wouldn’t have anymore trouble for along time.
We made arrangements to have the trailer fixed. Colton said the electric part on the hot water tank had burned out from me leaving it on ( but in fact it was shut off before we even left the campground before taking it to Colton the first time, so if it was left on it was when they were working on the trailer.) The tongue jack was fixed. The back jack they told me once again that I had to grease it,( again they had just fixed it, so why should I have to grease before I even use it. The bunk room being hotter, they said there nothing that could be done.
Over the summer we went on four more trips. Each trip another issue popped up, but we decided to make a list and wait until the winter to get everything fixed. We took it in Jan for the following: Keystone Springdale 294BHSSR
1) Awning leaks over outlet
2) Outdoor kitchen roof leaks
3) Outdoor kitchen drawer broke
4) Bedroom door keeps coming off track
5) Kitchen drawers broke
6) Outdoor kitchen door seal coming off
7) Back of trailer gets about 10 degrees warmer than rest of trailer
8) Electric jacks don’t work all the time
9) Back bedroom cabinet shelf broke
10) Couch pulled away from wall
11) Bumper cap keeps falling off when driving ( have replaced it 3 times already)
12)Was told that the Willkie’s would get $50 for referring us, and they have not received anything.
13) battery box was full of water, and I had to drill holes to drain it.

We got the trailer back in the beginning of Feb, and was told everything was all fixed, and they also found the wood around the shore cord cabinet was falling apart and re-assembled the box. We picked up the trailer and looked it over quick, being that is still cold out. The switches on the jacks is sticking now. We won’t be able to really make sure everything is good until we take it out camping in the spring. I went out yesterday to get something out of the outdoor kitchen and even though it was only a light rain, the outdoor kitchen door was leaking through the hinge. I also noticed where it is leaking that the rivets are rusted. If the rivets are getting rusted, what’s happening to the wood under it. Also the outdoor with the refrigerator how can you get the shelves out when the door doesn’t open far enough. We are concerned that these repairs or if anything else goes wrong with this trailer that it won’t be under warranty.
We also mentioned in the beginning of June, to John that the Willkie’s Who referred us to Colton still had not received there $50 check. He told us not worry he would make sure they got it within 1 week. In late July, Mary Wilkie called to find out about the referral, and was told that instead of Colton sending them a check, they had a $50 credit in parts the dept. Burt Wilkie went in August to pick up supplies from Colton’s part store, and was told there was no credit. It’s been almost a year, and they still have not received anything.
We are very unhappy with Colton and Keystone about this situation. We went to the WNY RV show in Jan, and had a hard time not telling everyone looking at Keystone’s about our experience, and how we would not recommend buying from Keystone or Colton.

Tim & Phyllis Doherty
Tdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
2011 keystone

It sounds to me like you have more of a dealer problem than a keystone problem. All TT regardless off brand tend to have some issues. They are built on a assemble line where I have read that they can build 10 to 15 trailers a day so yes they will have problems here and there. The key is to have a good dealer to fix these problems for you.

Now as to your quote below I WOULD HAVE RUN any dealer that would tell you no you cannot think about this deal. Is not worth dealing with.

With this said I realy hope you can get your trailer fixed and begin to enjoy it.

We bought a Keystone Springdale 294BHSSR travel trailer From Colton RV in March of 2011. We wanted a new camper because we were looking for something bigger than what we had. Buying this trailer from Colton was the biggest mistake we ever made. We have had nothing but trouble with it since we bought it. Our old 2003 trail bay never had any problems in the 3 years we had it.
First the salesman ( Jason) didn’t know about this trailer, and told us stuff about this trailer that we later found out were not true. He had told us that an electric awning was no different than a manual awning except it was easier to put in and out. He told us the electric jacks were the best thing out there, and they hardly ever any issues with them. He told us this was one of the most reliable trailers out there. He also told us that if you put a DVD in the DVD player you could watch it back bed room. He told us that the Willkie’s, who recommended Colton to us would receive a $50 referral if we bought the trailer. He told us after we negotiated a price, if we did not sign that day, the offer would not be good, (so we could not think about it or do any research on the camper).
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
SAABDOCTOR

Wow what a nightmare!!! Leason learned all of this over $50 bucks! what a mess sure hope you can get it all resolved looks like you need to find a better repair shop. But as has been said they all have issues just how many is the question? Hope it gets better.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
jq1031

I must agree with above comment, although your problems are way above the average. Some years back I was shopping for a motor home (I lived in Orchard Park, NY at the time) at Colton & found a unit that both the DW & I were ready to buy. The negotion process turned into a minnie nightmare & finally they agreed to OUR terms with the understanding that we buy right then & there or that deal was off the table. Both my wife & I got up, told the salesman don't call us we'll call you, walked out the door & never went back. I'm sure you wished you had done the same thing. Regarding Keystone, as a rule they do make a good product but sometimes one falls through the cracks so to speak. A bunk bed should not come loose, your awning is typical of all electric powered awnings, the leaks are something that should not happen but are fixable. I hope you get these problems resolved & are able to enjoy your trailer.
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
geo

Tim, if you return - please contact Keystone Customer Service

Tim & Phyllis –

I know I'm typing into thin air here. You have come to the Forum, expressed your displeasure with seemingly no intent for our Forum members to help, make suggestions, or relate what we found "that worked". You have cross-posted in two threads – and Tim, I hate to tell you this, but cross-posting in that manner is considered bad manners. (I see our Moderators have removed the cross-post.) And I assume now that you have vented upon us, you will probably never return to this Forum. The fact that you will probably not return is sad because there are many good people here who would offer great knowledge from their own experiences.

But just in case you do come back to read any responses . . .

Throughout your post, you maintain the theme of your displeasure with Colton RV. I might have missed it in your post, but did you ever contact Customer Service at Keystone? It appears that you purchased this Springdale about a year ago, so I am surprised that you have not contacted Keystone since your warranty is about to run out. I would like to heartily agree with "2011 Keystone". You definitely have a problem with Colton RV, and honestly, it seems like you might be a little too trusting. As "2011 Keystone" mentioned, any time a sales person starts the "sales FUD" (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) to force you to close a sale immediately, it is time to leave – there is a better deal and dealer relationship out there. Your anger is very apparent from your post, but to resolve the Springdale issues, I would encourage you to contact Keystone's Customer Service as soon as possible (www.keystonerv.com).

But since you will probably not return, satisfied that you have vented your anger upon us and self-assured that we will all go forth now to rid ourselves of our Keystone RVs, let me say that my DW and I love our Keystone Alpine! Yes, we have had a few problems, but we have found ways to resolve our issues. If you return, I would encourage you to find a way to resolve your issues. However, I guess it is back to my past comment: "Veni, Vidi, Whiney" - I came, I saw, I whined (sorry, Ceasar). (See the posted thread: http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4671.)

Tim & Phyllis, I do hope you find a way to resolve your problems with the Springdale. Know that there are many, many happy Keystone RV owners who have found "RV happiness".

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

Ron that was agreat reply.I had issues with the three montanas i have owned only once did i contact keystone customer service. I am gonna yell now THEY WERE GREAT!!!!! I purchasec my last one at diamond rv. great people and service dept too!. The sales man was a gentelman and never felt pushed. I do hope these people get thier trail fixed and can enjoy it. Maybe they will come back. Some times when i read posts like this I wounder if people think Keystone reads or monitors this sight. So they vent and are gone. oh well
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote