Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2018, 01:03 AM   #1
first time 5er

Vogel state park Georgia

I'm coming from Orlando and trying to decide the best route.
any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 AM   #2
xrated

I've been past it quite a few times coming from the south and heading north on US 129/US 19 and that road is pretty famous for great twisties on a motorcycle. So I'm suggesting that you maybe look at coming in from the North and head south down to the S.P. That area of the country is just full of great roads for motorcycling, but not as user friendly for a truck pulling a camper or a large coach. I'm not saying it can't be done, but coming from the south will probably make you wish you had an auto-pilot because of all the twists and turns. As far as directions and the best route to get there, I'll let someone else jump in with something maybe more specific.....just make the "coming from the south" you last choice if possible.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #3
m&m

My route to the N.Ga. Mts is most of the time by 441. I avoid Atlanta. If time is a problem I75 N to Atlanta, I285 around to 19/129 N towards Dahlonega.
I go slow, make wide turns and make sure my tanks stay above 1/2 N. of Atlanta.
Great park.
m&m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 05:58 AM   #4
rush2112

Depending on the time of the day I'd say I-75 then I-85 on the northside of downtown Atlanta. Shortly after this split stay in the right lane and take GA 400 north. Once you get on 400 use Google Maps to take you to the park. Yes, you do have to go over Blood Mountain but its all 3 lane with a passing lane in the turns so you should be fine. Google maps will take you till 400 becomes 2 lane then ends. Don't worry, all the backroads are fine, plus this way you don't have to go thru Dahlonega. Ride this route north of Cumming, past Vogel at least 3 times a month.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #5
Hansel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I've been past it quite a few times coming from the south and heading north on US 129/US 19 and that road is pretty famous for great twisties on a motorcycle. So I'm suggesting that you maybe look at coming in from the North and head south down to the S.P. That area of the country is just full of great roads for motorcycling, but not as user friendly for a truck pulling a camper or a large coach. I'm not saying it can't be done, but coming from the south will probably make you wish you had an auto-pilot because of all the twists and turns. As far as directions and the best route to get there, I'll let someone else jump in with something maybe more specific.....just make the "coming from the south" you last choice if possible.
I agree, I took a trip up there too see how it was, and I won't do it. There are just too many crazies on motorcycle's, it was too steep and ton's of tight curve's. Call me chicken but I'd rather camp in comfort than stress about getting to and from the campsite.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
first time 5er

Thanks guys i've been looking at google maps all week and pretty much came up with the same route

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote