Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 05:35 AM   #1
Eastham

Couch and cat

Hi just got a new camper and the cat likes to use couch as her litter box.
Any ideas how to keep her off other than.is there a spray or something we could use?thanks.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Pull Toy

Shock Collar? LOL... or maybe not?

Check with Pet Supply Store (PetCo... PetsPlus... etc) for cat repellant. Also, check with your Vet? It's possible the "new camper smell" is the issue. Air the H*ll out of it, preferably with fans for a while. The other obvious answer is a CLEAN litter box. From past "first person" experience, a dirty cat is a tough problem, and the smell is cumulative, and never goes away. Once it takes hold, it's all over, and don't go anywhere hot.

When you call your dog, it comes. When you call your cat, it takes a message, and gets back to you!

GOOD LUCK!, and enjoy the new Rig.

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

New trailer? Cat uses the couch for its LITTER BOX???

I'm thinking of a lot of solutions but the most gentle thing I can think of is a box??
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
fourfourto

give cat her own space
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	12791   Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	12792  

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #5
Steve S

If it was a dog I'd have some answers and some sympathy for you. As it's a cat I'd drop it off at the nearest Chinese restaurant and carry on with my travels.
I couldn't imagine what your trailer must smell like.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
Eastham

She has only been in trailer one day and had one issue trying to solve the problem with some spray or something that might work.litter box is also clean maybe changing brand of litter might help .trailer does still smell new and hope to keep it that way.thanks for your replies
Old 05-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
If it was a dog I'd have some answers and some sympathy for you. As it's a cat I'd drop it off at the nearest Chinese restaurant and carry on with my travels.
I couldn't imagine what your trailer must smell like.
To each their own...our Flame Point Siamese cat goes with us on EVERY trip, and is a cherished member of the family. Before our other Siamese cat died of cancer he went across the US with us. I don't really appreciate comments like this, I don't harbor any ill will towards people with dogs, but I surely don't make public comments about dropping them off at a restaurant.

OP: there are some good products at PetSmart, and the people we ask at our local store seem knowledgeable about their products. Cats can be a joy and frustration all balled up in one. I would do some internet searches to find out WHY your pet is doing

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
To each their own...our Flame Point Siamese cat goes with us on EVERY trip, and is a cherished member of the family. Before our other Siamese cat died of cancer he went across the US with us. I don't really appreciate comments like this, I don't harbor any ill will towards people with dogs, but I surely don't make public comments about dropping them off at a restaurant.

OP: there are some good products at PetSmart, and the people we ask at our local store seem knowledgeable about their products. Cats can be a joy and frustration all balled up in one. I would do some internet searches to find out WHY your pet is doing

You know, I think cat vs dog is sort of like Chevy vs Ford vs RAM. Folks like this or that due to something that is particular to them.

I can't stand cats. I am totally allergic to them. They don't mind or behave/obey commands like my dogs. I've always had that mindset. Fast forward; my daughter, who I've always given dogs and she's had dogs forever, got a cat. Now, the cat is THE consideration for the family (and she has 2 dogs). It doesn't mind, does what it wants etc. but they love it for its lovey/playful ways, purring and cuddly nature. Now we accommodate the cat when we visit. My puppy, which was attacked by the cat on their initial encounter (and then they declawed it), shares time in the house while the cat is in a bedroom; then, they switch and pup goes in a bedroom.

Again, I find no "relationship" value in a cat. I've tried maybe 3 times in my life and it doesn't work for me/or maybe they don't like me....but that's me. Others love them and to each his own - I know my daughter and granddaughters love theirs.....which absolutely made me do a 180 on cats.

I think the poster commenting about dropping the cat off was just talking in jest. Maybe a little harsh but probably just in a "kidding" manner.

Pets, no matter what kind, are the product of their owners. I don't accept bad behavior from anything. My puppy, which found me while starving, is exemplary. She actually has zero bad behavior. I don't raise my voice to command her; just speak quiet words - she knows them. When I want something done I can just look at her and move my head or arm. I tell her to pick up her toys - she has dozens; she proceeds to roam the room, pick them up and put them in her toy box. These are just simple things; her abilities are so much more. A cat cannot, and will not, do that in my experience.

Be what it may, we all like/love our pets whatever they are. As I've learned with my daughter, there is no accounting for what kind of a pet people love and I certainly don't set that criteria. My job is to love my puppy and respect others choices in pets; I think we all love them.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Sourdough: maybe it was said "in jest" but to ignore it is to condone it IMO.

Not to get off track, but we are.. Max actually acts more like a dog than the DW"a dog. He slept on my shoulder every night after wrist surgery. He greets me at the door when I come in. Every morning he sits on my lap when I get up. Not the "normal" cat but gotta luv 'em.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #10
Steve S

Quote:

chuckster57 did you not see these in my post? I was just joking! lol!
Old 05-28-2017, 05:08 AM   #11
notanlines

I think there is room for a little humor here. Granted it might have been a little harsh, but I'm sure Steve meant only to inject a little lighter side to the discussion. That cat can ruin a new RV faster than a bad water leak. I would probably talk it over with the vet and see what they say.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 05:21 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Ok maybe I over reacted, but you never see ANY posts about dropping off a dog.

I'm done with that subject.

Vets can help and may be able to rule out any medical issues. Maybe contact Jackson from the TV show " My cat from hell", he has done wonders on his show.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:56 AM   #13
canesfan

Chuckster, I too took the cat/restaurant comment a little harsh and unneeded in the discussion. But it seems there's always someone who seem to have to make a snide remark about something, unfortunately. I could go on and on and on about nuisance dogs and camping but I don't. At least cats don't bark and carry on all day and night disturbing everyone around them while the owners are oblivious to it all, or think it's "cute".

Sourdough, my cat brings me toys and drops them at my feet to play. At night she roams the house and picks up all her toys and brings them back to her bedroom. She lays on my desk while I work and keeps me company. I'm sorry you don't like them and are allergic. I'm allergic to so many things it's not funny so I feel for you.

To the OP, as others have said, there are plenty of products that might help. It might be the new trailer smell, all the chemicals in everything today smell pretty obnoxious and a cats sense of smell is so much greater than ours is. It might just be overwhelming and she is trying to cover it up the best way she knows.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:51 AM   #14
Steve S

OMG people do you see these? It means that I'm just joking so there's no need to get bent out of shape about things! Taking a cat to a Chinese restaurant is one of the oldest jokes around here. I actually am not a fan of cats but I would never want to see one get hurt.
I have 4 barn cats here that I've rescued from horrible places over the years. They have a heated shop to be in at night but they'll never be in the house or the trailer. The reason being is it just takes one mistake and that smell takes weeks to get rid of.
I have a little Havanese who's very well trained and dead quiet which is odd for a small dog. I'm the first person to bitch wherever I am when it comes to yappy little dogs as it drives me nuts!
Old 06-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #15
Eastham

Cat update.

Well the cat found her place in new rv.she has her litter box under the sink We installed a motion sensor light there and so far she has been using her box we also bought some spray that keeps her off furniture. From a farm and garden store.thats seems to keep her off the couch.thanks for all the good replys.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:20 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Couch and cat

Glad to hear your pet has adapted and can travel with you. Next is harness train her and take her on walks. Max enjoys the sights and sounds.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:47 PM   #17
Desert185

We have feral cats. Even though not a cat person, I got attached to one of them. I was the only person who could pet her. The coyotes got her one night.

I guess every so often a good cat appears, but they are not as common as good dogs. Lock a cat, your wife and your dog in the trunk at the mall. When You come back in a couple of hours the dog is wagging his tail and licking your hand. Not true with the other two.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 06:03 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

You don't own a cat, a cat owns you!!

Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #19
B-O-B'03

Quote:
You don't own a cat, a cat owns you!!
Dogs have owners, cats have staff.

I have never been a cat person, but when we bought our current house I spent several weeks putting in hardwood floors and other "noisy" work, before we moved in.

I looked up one day, while driving nails through a 3/4" plywood sub-floor, into the concrete slab with a .22 cartridge nailer, to see this big gray cat standing in the doorway watching me. I chased him off, but he returned and would just hang out,

Turns out he was living in the meadow behind the house and he eventually adopted us. That was the best cat I have ever encountered, never ever crapped or peed in the house, would scratch at the door to go out and do his "business", until I finally put in a cat door for him. He had no idea what a to do with a litter box, which I really liked.

He passed on an several years ago and the DW has pestered me a few times to get another cat, but I don't think we will easily find another like that big gray.

-Brian
Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #20
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I guess every so often a good cat appears, but they are not as common as good dogs. Lock a cat, your wife and your dog in the trunk at the mall. When You come back in a couple of hours the dog is wagging his tail and licking your hand. Not true with the other two.
I'm thinking if you lock them in a trunk, you may not want to be the person to come back and let them out. Running and hiding might be better!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote