Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 PM   #1
xrated

Lots of "Firsts" Coming up.....

As many of you know, we bought the Impact 303 Toy Hauler late last Oct. It has been sitting under the carport and not been out on the road yet. Over the course of the winter months, I've added tons of mods to it.....baggage slider (homemade by me), a TPMS system, a LevelMate Pro, a Progressive EMS and many smaller things that will make it the "home away from home" for us. So, this coming weekend, on Friday, we roll out for the first time in the new Toy Hauler. We are also doing our first Motorcycle trackday of the 2017 season. Finally, the fruits of our labor are going to be enjoyed. I've spent countless hours prepping and making ready for this day, and now it's only a couple of day away. I'm anxious, yet a little nervous. Weekend before last, we loaded up pretty much everything for a dry run and to figure out (confirm) where everything will be placed....bike, pit stands, pit fan, pop up canopy, air compressor, chairs, etc. This past weekend I did a final check of the operating systems of the T.H.....generator working correctly, refrigerator working on both gas and Electric, furnace and A/C working correctly, water heater working on both gas and Electric, stabilizing jacks, you name it, I checked it out. Truck tanks are full (68 gallons total), onboard fuel tank on T.H. full, track bike prepped and ready to go. So, finally, the day has almost arrived that my very first ever camping trailer adventures is about to start. Camping at a race track isn't exactly like camping out in the boonies or at a campground, as there are usally bathrooms and showers close by, but at any rate, it will be our first time for this adventure also. Hopefully, all the planning, preparation, execution, and work will pay off and we will finally get to enjoy and have some fun.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:28 AM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Sounds like you are ready to go to me! Have a great time on your first adventure! Sounds like you'll make some great memories.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:10 AM   #3
66joej

^Agree. You are ready! Enjoy!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:29 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

have a great time and I hope you do well on the track too. ride smooth!
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:46 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you haven't yet, I'd urge you to stop by a CAT scale, weigh the rig both with the WD bars in position and with them "unhooked but still attached" so you can determine exactly what you're towing (weightwise) and get a better handle on your trailer loading distribution so you'll know what percentage of trailer weight is on the tongue.

Good Luck and enjoy your "maiden voyage"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Have a Safe trip and Enjoy

Good Luck at racing, that is the bike !!
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:16 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

You've put a lot of work into your rig and sounds like you're ready to go. I'm sure some things will change as you get used to "what is" and "what ain't" but I think you're going to have a blast. Be sure and post back how it went and Have Fun!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
xrated

Thanks everyone! A trip to the scales is on the list of things to do, but probably not on this outing. I know for sure that I'm not overloaded in any respect, but it would nice to know ACTUAL numbers. I do have one question though. John, when you talked about going across the scales, you said go across once with the W.D. bars hooked up normally and then again unhooked. When I go across with them hooked up normally, should I have my truck airbags inflated to where I wool inflate them for a normal loading (read...level ride, no rear sagging)?

And, as icing on the cake, temperatures are suppose to be 85 degrees both days and sunny. This helps make for sticky race tires on the track.I.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Since you added that extra gas tank in the bed of your truck taking away about 400 pounds from your listed payload, I would have that tank full when you go on the scales. Should be interesting. This will get you closer to worst case at the same time may give you a good feel as to how much extra fuel you really want to carry. Real numbers always better than best guess

Be safe and enjoy your trip
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Since you added that extra gas tank in the bed of your truck taking away about 400 pounds from your listed payload, I would have that tank full when you go on the scales. Should be interesting. This will get you closer to worst case at the same time may give you a good feel as to how much extra fuel you really want to carry. Real numbers always better than best guess

Be safe and enjoy your trip
My trip to the scale will be with the truck loaded/fuelled, and the trailer loaded exactly like it will be for a normal trackday.....real world scenario. I do have significant weight in the garage (behind the trailer axles of course) so that will certainly help to reduce tongue weight.....but a scale ticket will be the real truth of what I've got.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

xrated,

I'd suggest that you load (as you indicated) just like you'll travel. The way I'd weigh the rig is:

Drive onto the scale pads, front TV axle on pad #1, rear TV axle on pad #2 and trailer axles on pad #3. (Make sure the WD bars and the air bags are "like they will be when travelling), Weigh the vehicle (this is weight #1) and will represent weights that your rig will see when towing.

Next, without moving the rig, uncouple the WD bars and leave them hanging in the hitch. This weight will be used to calculate hitch weight, distribution percentages of weight shifted to the front TV axle and back to the trailer axles. It is not a "real world weight" that your rig will see when towing. (this is weight #2)

Next, tow off the scales, unhitch the trailer, return to the scales with the TV front axle on pad #1 and rear axle on pad #2. Weigh the vehicle. This will give you an exact weight for your tow vehicle and will allow you to verify (calculate) real world payload capacity. (this is weight #3).

With these three weight slips you can determine everything you need to know about your rig. You'll have to do some "number crunching" to get all the figures, but you can determine the actual trailer weight, actual tongue weight, distributed tongue weight, combined weight, etc.

Remember, do all the weights on the same day (so you have the same loading, same fuel, same passengers, same conditions) and remember that each reweigh at a CAT scale is only $2 when done within the same time frame. Leaving the scale and returning another day to check the truck will alter the fuel load, probably passenger load, and cost you another "full charge weight".....

Also, remember that everything you've added to the truck that's not usually seen as payload will decrease the "yellow sticker payload"... Things such as floor mats, hitch head, air bags/Timkens, your extra fuel tank, etc all will add up the weight being carried and decrease the "yellow sticker payload". It will usually "shock" most people to see just how much we add to our truck and didn't give any thought to.... Even the maps in the glove compartment count for payload (sounds extreme, but......)

Good Luck and let us know where you stand once you get your weights and know exactly what you're towing.....

ADDED: You probably already realize this, but passenger weight is VERY important, so during each and EVERY one of these weights, make sure every passenger remains in the vehicle (driver also) for every weight. It's tempting to do the first weight, then go uncouple and return to weigh the truck while the DW and kids "run inside to get snacks"... RESIST THIS and make sure everyone stays in the vehicle for each and every weight slip !!!!! It'll make remembering who was where, what needs to be added and which one was which......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:33 AM   #12
Tbos

Have a great and safe trip.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #13
xrated

John, Thank you for taking the time for a very detailed and easy to understand explanation....that was awesome....especially for a newbie like me.

Tbos, thanks for the well wishes. I get Saturday off and just get to ride for my own enjoyment. Sunday, I'm Instructing and leading a group of 6 other Instructors. I really enjoy being able to give back to others, some of the things I've learned over a 45 year period of riding motorcycles.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #14
T_Clark

have you never had an RV before in all your years of track riding?
Old 04-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #15
notanlines

Vernon, your statement "I do have significant weight in the garage so that will certainly help to reduce tongue weight" is one we hear from newbies on a regular basis. Our rig weighs in the neighborhood of 1100 pounds and when loaded reduces the pin weight about 120 pounds according to the CAT scales. The reduction would be almost zero if we had a triple axle trailer. Where are you headed this weekend by the way?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:18 AM   #16
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Clark View Post
have you never had an RV before in all your years of track riding?
Nope! I've always had enclosed trailers, but I don't care for "rough camping"....as I did enough of that in my younger days, so I/we never stayed in the trailer. We would always drop the trailer on Friday, get set up, go eat, then head for the hotel. I spent many, many years sleeping in a tent while Deer hunting and Turkey hunting....I'm over it.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:26 AM   #17
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Vernon, your statement "I do have significant weight in the garage so that will certainly help to reduce tongue weight" is one we hear from newbies on a regular basis. Our rig weighs in the neighborhood of 1100 pounds and when loaded reduces the pin weight about 120 pounds according to the CAT scales. The reduction would be almost zero if we had a triple axle trailer. Where are you headed this weekend by the way?
Hi Jim. I do realize that the rear loading isn't going to affect tongue weight a bunch, but hey, every little bit counts, right! I am definitely going to take the rig across the scales, just so I have some hard numbers and to satisfy my curiosity.

We will be heading over to Barber Motorsports Park for a track day on Sat, then load up and move over too Little Talladega Grand Prix for Sunday. Should give me a little experience hooking up and setting up.