Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
Jetfixer03

Brewing coffee

Ok, I'm outfitting my first camper, so this is one topic that came up....coffee.
There are a thousand different opinions on what is good coffee, and a thousand more on how to make it, so there is obviously no right or wrong answers, I'm just curious what some favorite methods are out there.

Personally, my day can't kick off until I've had a big cup of nice strong coffee. We plan on boondocking mostly, so I'm not planning on even having a drip machine on board. People have been making great coffee for eons without electricity. Here are what I'd say are the most popular non-electric methods:
  • The ever popular italian Bialetti. You know, that aluminum octagonal job that's been around for about 80 years. It's kind of geared toward smaller expresso type cups.
  • The stovetop percolator. Brings back memories of your moms coffee clatch get togethers, usually the electric version, same same.
  • French press. I know it's been around a while too. For some reason feels too yuppified for me.
  • Filter in a basket pour over. Does get much simpler, not much to say about that one.
  • Last but not least, the one I'm leaning toward....Cowboy coffee. Dump coffee in water, boil for a few minutes, take it off the heat for a few, add a cup of cold water to make the grounds sink, done. My parent's prefered method for 60 years or so. Supposedly produces a less acidic coffee.

I like the idea of one of those old fashioned speckled porcelain pots, maybe some matching cups. Seems very camp appropriate, not to mention indestructable.

Man, I can't wait for the last of this winter weather to move on so I can have my first steaming cup outside my new camper!!
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #2
66joej

We use a Kuerig 2.0. You can make it as strong or any way you desire. Only drawback is you need shore power or a genset. No mess to cleanup.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:46 PM   #3
Desert185

^^^Yep, Keurig. Consistent, and the wifey gets her medium strength decaf (cough) and I get strong caf. Everyone happy.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
fourfourto

I have a small 6 cup brewer for when there are guests.(stowed away)
my wife don't drink coffee so I use a French press makes a nice cup and there's some left for tipping off . It's easy to clean and only takes 5 minutes.

I'm using mc café now they sell a big container at walmart cheap

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

You don't say how you want to "brew" this coffee. Stovetop? Campfire? Coleman stove?

If I want "coffee" when camping I use the of fashioned percolator. Have for over 50 years. Hunting we always did the "cowboy" coffee but I'm not a fan of picking grounds out of my teeth, but, in the hills with nothing...you couldn't beat it.

The modern stuff; Keurig and all the clones are just like city stuff to me, and I'm a country boy. When I can't boil my coffee I will use a more modern Mr. Coffee coffee maker and it's OK, and convenient. After that, well, just give me some Folgers instant and call it a day
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Mr coffee here too. BUT I do have an old metal percolator for stovetop if there is a problem.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:38 PM   #7
MattHelm21

The most expensive method of all. A Keurig with the generator option.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Being from Louisiana, "if it ain't Community, it ain't coffee"... One of the luxuries we've allowed for ourselves is special ordered Community Coffee. We have it shipped to us in 1 pound "bricks", 10 at a time. That usually lasts 4 to 6 months....

When camping with full hookups we use the standard "Mr Coffee" type electric drip coffee maker. When dry camping, we use the Melita Pour Over system. We have two sizes, a single cup cone that we use before the morning fishing trip and a 10 cup cone/carafe that we use for the after fishing trip breakfast coffee. Melita makes several sizes, some with thermal carafes, some with glass, some with only the cone. Essentially, just boil water, pour it over the coffee grounds in the cone and in a couple minutes, you've got a cup or a carafe of piping hot coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	melita single cup.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	12204   Click image for larger version

Name:	melita 10 cup.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	12205  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Being from Louisiana, "if it ain't Community, it ain't coffee"... One of the luxuries we've allowed for ourselves is special ordered Community Coffee. We have it shipped to us in 1 pound "bricks", 10 at a time. That usually lasts 4 to 6 months....

When camping with full hookups we use the standard "Mr Coffee" type electric drip coffee maker. When dry camping, we use the Melita Pour Over system. We have two sizes, a single cup cone that we use before the morning fishing trip and a 10 cup cone/carafe that we use for the after fishing trip breakfast coffee. Melita makes several sizes, some with thermal carafes, some with glass, some with only the cone. Essentially, just boil water, pour it over the coffee grounds in the cone and in a couple minutes, you've got a cup or a carafe of piping hot coffee.

I'm thinking I like this. Does it used specialized coffee or just regular?
Old 04-06-2017, 05:59 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Regular grind coffee and a #4 cone filter for the single cup cone and a #2 cone filter for the 10 cup carafe. It's the "flat cone filters" from WalMart or any grocery store, not the round "crinkled" basket filters.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
bitten

Quote:

Community Coffee is the best!
bitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:10 PM   #12
Jetfixer03

Oh no, no kuereg for me, I want to go electric free. I really like the thought of cowboy coffee in that old porcelain pot. But the gf drinks tea, so rather than boiling one pot for coffee and one for tea I think I'll go with one kettle. She can use it for tea, and I'll use it for the pour over method.
Jetfixer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
BuxCamper

I'm originally from NYC/LI and though I escaped 30 years ago work now brings me back up there for almost half the year. For me coffee isn't coffee if it doesn't reach out, grab your shirt, pull you in close and say DRINK ME!

My wife doesn't like like perc'rd coffee so we use an electric drip machine when we've got electric. She'll suffer through perc'ed when we're boondocking.

A friend of ours makes cowboy coffee and man it is smooth! Rolling boil for a few minutes, off the heat and then some cold water down the spout.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Regular grind coffee and a #4 cone filter for the single cup cone and a #2 cone filter for the 10 cup carafe. It's the "flat cone filters" from WalMart or any grocery store, not the round "crinkled" basket filters.
Thanks!...
Old 04-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #15
skane

This is what we are using this year, an AeroPress. It looks weird, but trust me it's SIMPLE and makes fantastic coffee. Boil water, pour into press, press water thru filter and into cup, top off coffee with a small amount of hot water and you are done.

It all fits in a small bag and weighs less than a pound. We bought a small electric water kettle to boil the water.

I have been using it at work all winter - blows drip and Keurig coffee out of the water.

Aeropress Coffee and Espresso Maker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047BIWSK..._ZjW5yb5QRKBSY

Sean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #16
Pmedic4

Coffee, coffee, coffee!

I've used almost all of these methods when out camping with the exception of the french press, which I have used at home.

Can't give any specific reason why, but I just try different ways, depending on my mood, and when it comes to coffee I must be really moody.

Favorite is the blue porcelain on the fire - but with basket, but the generic brew machine is quickest. Had a Keurig, it died, and couldn't see buying another $120 machine, when you can get the brew machines for $16 programmable, and seriously, it can make a single cup about a fast as a Keurig, if you count the time it takes from turning the machine on - of course, both can be set to start.

Regardless, nothing like the smell of coffee when you get up in the morning. And, if your camping by me in the morning, your welcome to bring your cup and get some fresh coffee.
Attached Images

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #17
Alpine

Keurig.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #18
Steve S

I grind my coffee beans in a hand cranked grinder. I use a percolator to brew it up in as I can use it on the stove and on the campfire.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:23 AM   #19
CrazyCain

When boondocking i use either the old style stove top perculator or the Coleman grill top coffe maker..Works just like a Mr. coffee put you put on your propane stove and brew it that way..shore power, Mr. Coffee!!!! Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170308_192410.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	12209   Click image for larger version

Name:	coffee.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	12210  

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:29 AM   #20
gearhead

I'm with John. Being 1st generation out of Louisiana we use Community Café Special. Mail order from them with a discount coupon. Keurig at home, small one in both campers with the drip cones for boondocking.
I'm about to broach the subject of drip cones at home too. Seems it's something every other day with the Keurig. Change filter, clean something, or add water.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote