Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
Christopher

Unhappy Towmax tire problems

My new 2011 Premiere Bullet was equipped with Towmax tires from the factory. The spare spontaneously exploded and had never been on the ground. Also had a blowout going 70 mph on the Interstate which did $1600 worth of damage to the fender/wheel well. I think these tires should have been recalled. If you have these tires I suggest that you replace them PRONTO.
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Re: Towmax tire problems

That is why their nickname is BlowMax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outback 325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #3
bartbill

I'd be curious to know the manufacture date of the two tires.
bartbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:42 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
My new 2011 Premiere Bullet was equipped with Towmax tires from the factory. The spare spontaneously exploded and had never been on the ground. Also had a blowout going 70 mph on the Interstate which did $1600 worth of damage to the fender/wheel well. I think these tires should have been recalled. If you have these tires I suggest that you replace them PRONTO.
You didn't give much information about the tires, but I'd suspect that you're talking about the OEM tires that are (were) installed on your 2011 trailer. Chances are that your trailer, being a 2011 model was assembled in 2010 and the tires were manufactured prior to that. Doing some quick "guesswork math" that would mean the tires are either 6 or 7 years old or pushing that age. ST tires are "said to lose" 10% of their load capacity each year, so your tires are "living on 30% of their rated load carrying capacity. It isn't any wonder that you had a blowout at 70 MPH (on tires that are speed rated 65 MPH) and only able to support less than half their rated capacity due to age.

One blessing, if you can remotely consider it such, is that you only suffered $1600 damage. Most people who experience a blowout while towing at speed are in the $5000 + damage range.

If you haven't yet, it's assuredly time to replace all 5 of your tires. Few people who have your experience continue with TowMax tires. Many find Maxxis or Carlisle Radial Trail HD/RH tires to be a reasonably priced alternative that provides much better service.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You didn't give much information about the tires, but I'd suspect that you're talking about the OEM tires that are (were) installed on your 2011 trailer. Chances are that your trailer, being a 2011 model was assembled in 2010 and the tires were manufactured prior to that. Doing some quick "guesswork math" that would mean the tires are either 6 or 7 years old or pushing that age. ST tires are "said to lose" 10% of their load capacity each year, so your tires are "living on 30% of their rated load carrying capacity. It isn't any wonder that you had a blowout at 70 MPH (on tires that are speed rated 65 MPH) and only able to support less than half their rated capacity due to age.

One blessing, if you can remotely consider it such, is that you only suffered $1600 damage. Most people who experience a blowout while towing at speed are in the $5000 + damage range.

If you haven't yet, it's assuredly time to replace all 5 of your tires. Few people who have your experience continue with TowMax tires. Many find Maxxis or Carlisle Radial Trail HD/RH tires to be a reasonably priced alternative that provides much better service.
What he said. X2, at least! I have 5,000 miles on my OEM tires. They are still in great shape looks-wise. I'm hoping to get through next season with them and then they'll be replaced. Good luck, and welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Like all other highway tires ST tires are constantly upgraded by their manufacturer's. However, maintenance procedures remain pretty much the same.

ST tire manufacturers are adding speed letters to the sidewall information. Without a speed letter their maximum speed limit is 65 MPH.

To be more successful with ST tires I recommend reading the attached reference. It may not be 100% accurate but it's close.

I'm not recommending the tires or any other brand.

http://www.carlstargroup.com/cms_fil..._Practices.pdf
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #7
talk2cpu

Just put mine into storage for the Holidays.
Original TowMax on a 2011 trailer. Tire date 2010.
Wheels balanced and axels aligned.
Trailer loaded weight is 5800 lbs spead evenly on each tire.
Have at least 20,000 miles on these tires, don't know what the previous owner did. They have performed very well. Check tires every morning using the TPMS. Run them at 48 PSI as per inflation chart.
Maximum speed of 60 MPH
and try very hard not to hit pot holes, curbs and road debris.
I do plan on replacing them when we pick up the trailer in late January.
Hope I can get as many miles on the next set, whatever the brand.
Tom

Tags
tow