Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2016, 06:22 AM   #21
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
Wow, that's fast closing with all the new regulations that went into effect last Oct. We just bought a new home in Dec 2015 and our closing kept getting pushed back due to the lenders figuring out all the new paperwork that has to be done.

Good luck with the move, great area!
Sorry if I wasn't clear. The closing on my Colorado home is 6/29. The closing on the North Carolina home is scheduled for 7/28, or roughly 40 days after we went under contract.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:27 AM   #22
BirchyBoy

Another update. We were in NC last weekend and looked at another 6 homes. Everything from renovated 1920's homes down town to new homes in Leland. We found the perfect home and are now under contract. It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath ranch style home on .25 acres. The inspection and appraisal are all scheduled, along with a survey and a termite inspection. I'm also going to get quotes for a fence for the back yard. The HOA allows campers, with permission, so I'm going to have a large gate built on one side for future use
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 06-23-2016, 08:08 AM   #23
Tbos

Sounds great. Enjoy.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Congratulations on the new house.

CO to NC? I haven't re-read the thread so kinda fuzzy on the details. If I remember you have family out that way so figure your used to/familiar with the climate.

We spend much of our time in NM/TX/CO/AR/AZ/MO plus a couple of months here in FL. Just traveled up to New Bern, NC for a few days and although the water and ocean are pretty and the food is phenomenal, we are just mountain/desert people I guess. We can't get used to the humidity and in many locations it is so crowded. Ran into Charleston, SC and felt like sardines. Followed that up by going to Universal Studios here in Orlando (now THAT is really a sardine can!!) and, well, we just can't wait to get back to our little fishing village in the FL panhandle then back to TX.

Hope you have good luck with the closing and things are great in NC. It IS a pretty place and I suspect it will only take a little time and you will be acclimated to the climate (you may be already; lots of folks we meet just love it).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #25
CaptnJohn

Just about 45 minutes south of you at Ocean Isle Beach NC. We traveled all over the US and lived in many places too. Greatest place is right here. We have all 4 seasons but the changes are subtle, not stupid. Close to the beach keeps humidity down, summer temps down, and winter temps up. Rarely see snow. Cold here is what I call 'Yankee cool'. Compared to everywhere else we have been taxes are LOW as well. Welcome to NC.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #26
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Just about 45 minutes south of you at Ocean Isle Beach NC. We traveled all over the US and lived in many places too. Greatest place is right here. We have all 4 seasons but the changes are subtle, not stupid. Close to the beach keeps humidity down, summer temps down, and winter temps up. Rarely see snow. Cold here is what I call 'Yankee cool'. Compared to everywhere else we have been taxes are LOW as well. Welcome to NC.
Thanks! I'm super excited for something different. Been in CO now for 11 years and we're ready for a change of scenery. We're leaving our camper here and coming back for it in September. Going to spend a couple weeks in Denver catching up with my wife's family, then we'll haul it back with us and do some camping there.

One question - our Light is setup for a second a/c in the bedroom. Is it necessary in the summer months in NC?
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 06-24-2016, 03:08 AM   #27
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Thanks! I'm super excited for something different. Been in CO now for 11 years and we're ready for a change of scenery. We're leaving our camper here and coming back for it in September. Going to spend a couple weeks in Denver catching up with my wife's family, then we'll haul it back with us and do some camping there.

One question - our Light is setup for a second a/c in the bedroom. Is it necessary in the summer months in NC?

On the 2nd AC I'd say if the CGs are shaded you may not need it. I'd try a summer as is and add later if you feel you need it.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:29 AM   #28
byrdr1

Quote:

because I live in NC, I would say yes to the 2nd AC. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The summer is HOT here in NC and surrounding states and the humidity is awful. Summer humidity runs around 100% most of the time and that with a high in the 90"s makes it miserable to be in or out of the camper. We got that 2nd AC on 5er when we bought it, it was a $850 add on, best money spent. We use it a lot during summer months. Biggest thing is 50 amp sites. Most of the state parks have upgraded their electric to 30/50 amp sites so you have that and most all CG have that option too. IF you can get it installed and priced decent I would do it. shade is nice in the summer months but around here the shade is just as hot as full sun because of the humidity. We always try and go to the mountains at least once during the summer months just to escape the heat and humidity of central NC (wont happen this year due to my camper being Oklahoma, that's another thread).
Even with ocean breeze I would want 2nd AC in my camper if it could handle it.
Again this is JMHO
randy
OH yeah welcome to NC...
"I like calling North Carolina HOME!"

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:25 AM   #29
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
because I live in NC, I would say yes to the 2nd AC. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. The summer is HOT here in NC and surrounding states and the humidity is awful. Summer humidity runs around 100% most of the time and that with a high in the 90"s makes it miserable to be in or out of the camper. We got that 2nd AC on 5er when we bought it, it was a $850 add on, best money spent. We use it a lot during summer months. Biggest thing is 50 amp sites. Most of the state parks have upgraded their electric to 30/50 amp sites so you have that and most all CG have that option too. IF you can get it installed and priced decent I would do it. shade is nice in the summer months but around here the shade is just as hot as full sun because of the humidity. We always try and go to the mountains at least once during the summer months just to escape the heat and humidity of central NC (wont happen this year due to my camper being Oklahoma, that's another thread).
Even with ocean breeze I would want 2nd AC in my camper if it could handle it.
Again this is JMHO
randy
OH yeah welcome to NC...
"I like calling North Carolina HOME!"
Thanks for the info. It's at the dealer now getting some warranty work done. I may ask them about adding one while it's there.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 AM   #30
gearhead

Quote:
Thanks for the info. It's at the dealer now getting some warranty work done. I may ask them about adding one while it's there.
I would definitely add the A/C. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:32 AM   #31
canesfan

I would also definitely add the 2nd AC. I got ours with only one because 2-1/2 years ago I mostly camped Spring and Fall. Last year was the first Summer I really spent camping more than a day or two. Now VERY sorry I didn't get the second unit and am going to either add one myself or have it added. I'm about 3-4 hours North of you and also near the water. What byrdr1 said about the heat and humidity is true. You might want to give it a try the first year, but I'm thinking you're going to want/need it. Good luck on your move. I'm hoping to relocate down there sometime in the near future myself.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:01 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Get the 2nd AC. When it gets too hot your main AC won't carry the load; 13.5 or 15k. It is great to kick in the 2nd ac and kick back instead of having 4 fans running and pouring sweat praying for sundown. Even with 2 ac's, as we've experienced here in FL for the last couple of days, it takes everything they have to keep it decently cool in the camper. 2nd AC will be money well spent...IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #33
denverpilot

If it's in the shop already, definitely do the second AC. It's awesome in a hot humid climate to walk inside to cool bliss, while watching the water pour off of both ends of the trailer. Heh.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #34
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
On the 2nd AC I'd say if the CGs are shaded you may not need it. I'd try a summer as is and add later if you feel you need it.
Wilmington ~ Leland is close to the coast and a little less humidity than inland. Far enough inland and the mountains are cooler. The mid-state is the killer. We have one 15K on our 35' 5er and it is enough, even snowbirding in FL. On the hot days we keep the shades mostly pulled if in full sun. The main thing is we do not permit the heat to get ahead and start the AC early. The dogs like the temp between 74 & 76 so my wife makes sure it is there. If it took 2, 3, or 9 ACs to keep the pups comfy, that is what we would have.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #35
BirchyBoy

We hit the first major milestone today by closing on the sale of my town home. It was hard to not pull into a Ford dealer and buy a new F-350 with cash. The wife even gave me the go ahead!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 08-02-2016, 03:57 AM   #36
BirchyBoy

Another late update! We closed on the sale of my town home and closed on a home in Leland, NC last week. I was in town for most of last week managing the closing, POD delivery and move in. I flew back to Denver on Sunday. The wife, dogs and I are driving back this Thursday with her car in tow. We're driving back in September, spending two weeks at a local campground, then pulling the camper home with us.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 08-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #37
Tbos

Welcome to the East Coast. Travel safely.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:40 PM   #38
gearhead

You got a boat? I bet Cape Fear has some reds and flounder!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #39
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
You got a boat? I bet Cape Fear has some reds and flounder!
Not yet, maybe next year. We need to settle in and the wife has to go back into the workforce, first.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 08-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #40
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Welcome to the East Coast. Travel safely.
Thanks! I'm a Mainer but the humidity will require and adjustment.
RIP Birch (pitbull)