Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #1
GaryWT

Long winter ahead...

It has been almost a month since our last trip and I finally got around to winterizing yesterday, took a half day because it was nice, mid 60's so why not. Drained everything, added antifreeze, defrosted fridges, brought everything in the house etc etc. Now as I am driving to work today I am thinking boy do I wish I was hooked up and heading somewhere. Going to be a long wait until April/May when we can camp again...
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
koko

Our TV is in the midst of a major recall, so we didn't even get to go anywhere in October - the weather, of course, was perfect for camping! Now we, too, must wait until at least April. We pushed it and went to Santa Fe at the end of March last year and traveled in bad weather coming back. Don't think we'll chance that again.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
Desert185

Supposed to be a weak winter this year in my neck of the woods. We're headed to Houston, TX for Christmas, so a quick run down 95 to Vegas should be the worst of it until we return late Jan, early Feb. this is the first big trip after retrieving it from out of state in Oct, so we're really looking forward to it. I just retired and this is kind of my summer for us right now. It would hurt to just get the 5er and then park it for the winter. I feel your pain...

Wet bolts and Maxxis tires to go.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
Javi

If I could I'd summer in the Rockies and winter along the Texas coast.. unfortunately work keeps getting in the way..

At least I get to camp from Mid October or November until late May or early June before the 105F + temps and 80%-100% humidity hits.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
byrdr1

Winterized mine Saturday, cleaned out the frig and turned it off. Emptied the cabinets of anything that I thought a critter might want or that might freeze. Emptied out the drawers of clothes and the wife has two bins of stuff we washed up after our last trip to put back into the camper; sheets, comforters, bath towels, dish towels, pot holders (those things get dirty over a camping season). My wipe down rags and also some of the leftover storage tubs/cups. So with this done my camper is up for a long winter nap of at least 4 months. We have a trip planned to Charleston, SC in April. So thats a long time away for us.
Looking back over the season we ended up with 36 nights camping at campgrounds for 7 trips and 3 nights of camping in the driveway. Sometimes you just got to do it.
We(I) pulled the beast almost 3000 miles over this past year. I havent got my spreadsheet in front of me so I would have to check this number to be sure but in my head this is close. We camped at all hookup campsites this year never made it to any state parks we usually do that at least twice a year, don't know what happened there? We camped in cold weather, cool weather, rain, rain and some more rain, high winds, one nor'easter and our usual NC hot and humid summer temps. Sat around a campfire several times this year. Bought two tires for the camper, 4 tires for TV(twice & don't ask) and I didn't about burn the camper down this year.
SO overall another great year under our belts.

randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #6
GmaPaTime

Javi, you have the right idea....
Been trying to talk the DW into the mountains July - August, Northeast and Mid Atlantic April-May, Sept- Nov and Florida Dec-March when I retire at the end of this coming year. Sure would be nice...
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
gearhead

I could be happy in Pagosa Springs in July-August. It's hard to beat our winters here though. I towed the boat up to Lake Livingston today and ran some old gas out of it. Fairly pleasant. Several others fishing and some water skiing.
I think I need to mow the grass!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I could be happy in Pagosa Springs in July-August. It's hard to beat our winters here though. I towed the boat up to Lake Livingston today and ran some old gas out of it. Fairly pleasant. Several others fishing and some water skiing.
I think I need to mow the grass!
There's quite a temperature difference between you and me !!!

We were out checking deer stands this afternoon and there are a couple of ice fishing shanties on the lake. One of the neighbors (who is known to be a risk taker <not real smart>) was standing in front of one of them smoking a cigarette. They were in about 40' of water, so if that "not real thick ice" were to crack, it may be next spring before they find them......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
wahoonc

Just because the camper is winterized doesn't mean our camping season is over! My daughter is coming home for the holidays and wants to go camping at Carolina Beach State Park. We will take the camper, probably won't use the water, but the furnace and bed will sure feel good.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:12 AM   #10
byrdr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Just because the camper is winterized doesn't mean our camping season is over! My daughter is coming home for the holidays and wants to go camping at Carolina Beach State Park. We will take the camper, probably won't use the water, but the furnace and bed will sure feel good.

Aaron
Enjoy that Aaron, Meg just got home from college and she was excited at least this week. Next week or two she'll be glad to go back up the mountain.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:39 AM   #11
GaryWT

Have fun, at times I wish we were in a warmer climate to camp year round.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:41 AM   #12
Javi

Forecast is for 69F today with thunderstorms, cold front next week with highs in the 50's..
Old 12-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #13
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's quite a temperature difference between you and me !!!

We were out checking deer stands this afternoon and there are a couple of ice fishing shanties on the lake. One of the neighbors (who is known to be a risk taker <not real smart>) was standing in front of one of them smoking a cigarette. They were in about 40' of water, so if that "not real thick ice" were to crack, it may be next spring before they find them......
Yes, there is a difference. I drove over to San Antonio to look at a project Monday. Ran the truck A/C going and coming.
The son was doing some yard work Monday and killed 4 snakes in his back yard. We might get a good freeze after New Years. My collard greens, cabbage, and English peas are thriving.
Had a Christmas lunch party today, had to kick the house A/C on.
But, you wouldn't want to be here in August.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote