Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
rschad

Tire minder

I saw an article about tire minder in the February trailer life and I was impressed and am thinking to buy it. Sounds good to be able to monitor the temp and pressure of the trailer tires.

Has anyone used this product and have an opinion to share?
rschad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
LZScout

I've used it for one season so far. It did catch a low tire pressure on one of the tires that saved me some damage. I'm trying to research why the system doesn't tell me when it loses connection to the senders. Beyond that, seems to work fine.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

2012 F-350 SRW Lariat Supercrew 4X4 6.7L Diesel
2013 Keystone Alpine 3250RL
LZScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
buzzcop63

Bought Tire Minder for security and ran last year and used it today to check tire pressure while trailer is in storage, no need to check by hand with gauge and let air out. I Set trailer tires with my digital gauge before a trip in the morning at 65.5Lb, example of one trip where wife and I left on a Sunday, during the summer, around 12:30pm fund that at a steady 55 MPH the tires would heat up to 80's in the sun and cooler on the side away from the sun, PSI rose up into the 70's, hot day! This is on a 120-mile trip on I5 down the valley from Portland to Eugene area. On way back home after 5 nights camping, we left Eugene area around 12:30pm with temperature at about 75 by the time we got home. Last readings stay on the Tire Minder, Tire Minder reads PSI/Temp, Driver side, Passenger side: Tire Minder reads 1 to 2Lb over digital gauge.
68.8/82 68.2/89
69.2/84 69.4/86
The Tire Minder does not distract from driving as it does not cycle through the readings, had my wife push the buttons for the readings from time to time. It will let you know if your loosing any air and in which tire as well as over heating. Great thing about using the Tire Minder is knowing that all tires are being watched as well as being able to check pressure when unit is in storage or when your ready to leave park and not have to do by hand. Unscrew the 3 oz sending unit and the base unit goes nuts, red lights and sound so if you get a blowout you will know as well as any drop in pressure or dangers heat.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
tileman

I need to get this for our setup after our two blow outs it may of saved us on the last one.

Also can I use it on our truck to ? To keep a eye on the truck tires.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
concours

We have used it for 1 season, easy to set up and use gives peace of mind no complaints so far
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
buzzcop63

The Model TMG300C, which I have monitors up to 4 tires at a maxd PSI of 0-65. Model TMG400C-4 or TMG400C-6 monitors up to 22 tires (0-145psi). Alarms threshold user adjustable (default @ 15%). Rechargeable Monitor operates 30 days between charging. Transmitter operates 1 year with one Lithium CR1632 battery, low battery & missing transmitter warnings. Battery replacement is free with mail in box included. Check on line with Camping World for price.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Jim & DJ

Tire Minder

Been running TPMS for 2 years now. Purchased from HCI in Cerritos, Ca. Very good people.
Have it on p/u and 5er and has rotating readout for each tire as I travel with alarm.

I changed to internal sensors. Below is their website.

http://www.tiresafeguard.com/prices.htm

For 5er they have signal booster because of the distance I guess..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A bit of our history:
Michelin LT XPS
68 Harley FLH
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite (gone)
2007 Mountaineer TT (gone)
2009 Montana F3465 SA
2007 F-350 6.0 D
2012 Shih Tzu (The boss)
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Mover480

Best device I've bought for the RV. Put them on the truck too.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #9
superdog404
Gone Traveling

Also they have a new model out. Supposed to be faster response. I emailed tire minder to see if they have an upgrade for the older one. Email says yes at Campingworld. Not much help since the upgrade from them is $224. You could almost buy a new system for that.
superdog404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
rschad

I have a tire minder now and will install next week. I have the signal booster and am seeking advice re the simplest way to wire it to the 12 volt system.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

There have been a few threads out there discussing TPMS's. including Tire Minder
Use the search Function and search for TPMS
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #12
rschad

Thanks,

I did search but haven't found any advice re best way to hardwire the booster. I am thinking perhaps wiring into the power tongue jack. My trailer has a cutoff switch for the trailer battery and perhaps I should wire it there to have it shut off when trailer not in use.

Just was looking for some of the expert advice I see here.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

We have a TPMS with our 5th wheel and it does not require a booster. The distance between the 5th wheel tires and the cab of the truck is within the transmitting range of the sensor/monitor. I think that boosters may be necessary on longer tractor/trailer units but not sure whether they are needed for most RV applications with a TT or 5ver.

Have you tried setting it up without using the booster?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #14
rschad

Not yet, will do that next week. The instructions say that if you use a gps you might get interference and so need the booster. I have a 35' vantage and towing with a ford expedition.

The booster came with the unit so no extra cost, just want to figure out best way to wire in to the 12volt system.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschad View Post
Not yet, will do that next week. The instructions say that if you use a gps you might get interference and so need the booster. I have a 35' vantage and towing with a ford expedition.

The booster came with the unit so no extra cost, just want to figure out best way to wire in to the 12volt system.
As stated before try it and see how it works. Think if I recall there is a post out there where a member had an issue installed extender and problem resolved.

Same here, extender was included in my package so instead of having it lay around and get lost, I hooked it up. I have a 5th wheel so most convenient for me was the junction box located on king pin. I would have attached a picture but currently raining like He..L at least not that white crap I will send pic later

Oh by the way I added a toggle switch to shut it down when not needed.

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-06-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
rschad

I like the toggle switch idea, thanks. The problem with trying it and seeing how it goes is that I will be on holiday when I try it and it is the desire not to have a problem on my holiday that motivated me to buy the tire minder in the first place so finding out it does not work and needs the booster while on holiday isn't a preferred choice.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #17
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschad View Post
I like the toggle switch idea, thanks. The problem with trying it and seeing how it goes is that I will be on holiday when I try it and it is the desire not to have a problem on my holiday that motivated me to buy the tire minder in the first place so finding out it does not work and needs the booster while on holiday isn't a preferred choice.
Sorry for the delay in going out to the trailer and getting a picture. Here is where I installed the extender, easy to get to and power right there. Again this is on a fifth wheel Raptor. I think if you do not get time to install the extender you will be notified on the monitor if you loose a signal from one of the transmitters. I think with your trailer length you are going to be okay the extender is like insurance in the event of interference. Just put the transmitters on and see how they do over a few days. Can not recall if I had used them on a trip before I wired in the extender, think I did. Again came in kit so I used it.
Notice toggle switch to turn off.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2697.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	5528  

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #18
ctpd814

I just ordered the new TireMinder system (TM66) from CW. This system is exclusive to them. The system is currently on sale for $299. Hopefully it will be in by Friday as I am making a run to Nashville TN to pick up a TT for my mother. I am hoping to try it out, otherwise it will be a couple of months before we take any trips. I'll post when I get some info.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #19
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpd814 View Post
I just ordered the new TireMinder system (TM66) from CW. This system is exclusive to them. The system is currently on sale for $299. Hopefully it will be in by Friday as I am making a run to Nashville TN to pick up a TT for my mother. I am hoping to try it out, otherwise it will be a couple of months before we take any trips. I'll post when I get some info.
I noticed that package had 4 transmitters and the extender, looks like about same price I paid though I had 6 transmitters in the basic package with extender. As I stated in the previous post hooked up the extender since I had in rather than just lying around. As you can see added a switch to shut off. Probably will work fine without it but added insurance for say bad weather and other interferences. Where I installed mine, very simple and everything right there. Mine is monitoring 12 tires, do not recall if your TV had them already installed from the factory think it is required to be installed on later model vehicles. Thought my TV would have them according to salesman then when we could not find the monitor and he left scratch his ........ I got on the web and found out that CHEVY does not install a TPMS on trucks over 10K. That is when I ordered more transmitters.

BE Safe and Have a nice trip getting the TT

Would not leave without it

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
Old 04-08-2014, 10:18 AM   #20
ctpd814

I checked on the original system from the factory. The kit with 4 sensors is $319. My TV does not have tpms yet. I wanted to try the system before investing in the extra sensors. I'm sure I'll be getting them soon.
2 Wieners Maddie and Mollie
ctpd814 is offline   Reply With Quote