Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
Heliumhel

Tire Recomendation

ok, I realize I am opening up a can of worms with this one. But I figured I would ask anyway. I have a 2006 F350 Superduty with the 6.0 engine. It shows a gross weight of around 13000lbs or there about. I currently run BF Goodrich AT/KO Load Range E on the truck. Love the tires but they wear quickly, run through a set of 6 in a year and a half to two years. Around 15-20k miles, I might be off on that but that's about what it seems to be. The trailer I tow is a Raptor 384pk, but the wear has been the same since before the trailer was purchased. Is anyone seeing better wear on another brand or style tire? Going to be purchasing another set of tires in the near future and wanted to get some input or ideas on which seem to hold up and which don't
Heliumhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
shov

I was turned on to the Michelin AT/2. I was going through tires faster than I thought I should, one day at the tire dealer a gentleman pulled up to have his AT/2's rotated (Chevy 1T Duramax) and at 25,000 miles the tires looked brand new. Mileage was verified on the computer. I bought a set that day but sold my truck before I put many miles on them. Since then I have bought another set for the replacement vehicle. I can't verify the tread life just yet as I have only put about 5,000 on them, but I can tell you ice and snow traction so far here in MT is supurb! Not only that I have bought tires in the past that didn't "feel" quite right, these feel stable without that squishy feel you get with some tires. As long as they make them I will buy the AT/2's for my truck!

But, as many peaople you ask about tires, you will get that many opinions... Good luck with your search
shov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Outbackmel

Michelin

I had similar tires on my Dodge 2500 and swapped them out recently only because of side wall cracking and age of 5 years. I just put what you bought on the truck. At my age, they will likely outlast my enthusiasm to tow anything, anywhere!

Had PLENTY of tread remaining on the swapped tires. Probably 35% remaining. Heading to FL for the winter and wanted the safety cushion.

Love Michelin.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackmel View Post
I had similar tires on my Dodge 2500 and swapped them out recently only because of side wall cracking and age of 5 years. I just put what you bought on the truck. At my age, they will likely outlast my enthusiasm to tow anything, anywhere!

Had PLENTY of tread remaining on the swapped tires. Probably 35% remaining. Heading to FL for the winter and wanted the safety cushion.

Love Michelin.
Same here. I went almost seven years and just wanted to play it safe. The LT2 is the best wet weather tire I have ever used. Like Outbackmel, only Michelin tires on all my vehicles, Hank ..................... (My last truck, '94 Dodge 2500 came with GY tires and I was happy they wore out around 30,000 mi so I could replace them in the first year. I got 70,000 on the next set of Michelin's and 60,000 on the next set before I sold it. Proper inflation, rotate and re-balance regularly and they go on forever ... it seems. JM2˘)
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
Jim W

I am using Michelins LT MS/2 tires on my Ram; all of my vehicles are switched over to Michelin tires as soon as it is economically feasible to do so. I also use Michelins on my 5er and the wife's Jetta will be getting them soon for her car.
For me Michelin tires are the best tire in the market and provide the lowest cost per mileage in use.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
mazboy123

tires

i go with firestone transforce. always have had good luck.

you go through 6 tires? not 4? interesting.
mazboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
concours

I too have BF Goodrich AT/KO's on a 3500 Duramax that also wore out in just over a year they are not even a good snow tire the next set will be Michelin AT2"s they have a good reputation and are constructed to stand up to the high torque of the diesels There is also a Toyo that is similar but I have not seen any reports yet
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazboy123 View Post
i go with firestone transforce. always have had good luck.

you go through 6 tires? not 4? interesting.
The OP has a F350, probably a dually (6 tires).....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #9
Heliumhel

Thanks everyone. I'll be looking into those tires for my next set.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
Heliumhel

Yes, mine is a dually and goes through six tires. I have them rotated, off rim. So the inside rear goes outside rear, outside rear goes to front, and front goes to inside rear. This gives me a little more life and even tire wear.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
Ken / Claudia

I found that 10 ply tires of different makes and or sizes have different max. load rating.. I have seen from 3200 to 3740lbs. Maybe a heaver max. rating might last you longer. Also how are the tires wearing. Centers wearing out shows to much psi. I have had 10 plys on all work trucks and my trucks since around 96. I get all season tires and 40,000 miles seens about it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #12
pjhansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
I am using Michelins LT MS/2 tires on my Ram; all of my vehicles are switched over to Michelin tires as soon as it is economically feasible to do so. I also use Michelins on my 5er and the wife's Jetta will be getting them soon for her car.
For me Michelin tires are the best tire in the market and provide the lowest cost per mileage in use.

Jim W.
Couldn't agree more. I have the Michelins LT MS/2 tires on my Ford. My 5ver will be getting a set of Michelins this year.
MOR/ryde Wet Bolt Kit, TST 507 TPMS, 1000w PSW Inverter, JT's Strongarm Stabilizers, and the list goes on....
Yamaha EF3000iSE/B Inverter Generator
pjhansman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
Wally15

Try the Cooper AT/3's

Probably the best LR E tire out there for the money is a Cooper AT/3. I've had mine about 3 years now and they are great. Still lots of tread left after 40K.
Of course I'll have to admit to my prejudice, I retired from Cooper a couple of years ago. They are an American owned company, and these tires are US produced (Findlay, OH and Texarkana, AR).
Read the UTQG ratings of the Michelin and the Cooper, and then compare the price. Plus Cooper has about the best warranty in the business. Michelin not so good. The Goodyear equivalent is also a very good tire.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #14
canesfan

I just today replaced my 4 year old less than 30,000 mile Michelin LTXs with a tread that looked almost new. Sidewalls on all 4 were severely cracked (like dry rot) and have been cracking for at least a year or more, got to the point one was starting to lose air and I wasn't going to drive on them any longer. Did a LOT of research on the newer LTX 2s and heard the same reports from many, many reviews, sidewall cracks after only a couple years. Michelin wouldn't do anything for me even though they just had a recall on the same tires just not in my size. For the record I take care of my tires. Needless to say I purchased another brand.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
concours

Check out the specs on Toyo Observe Tuff Duty I had the same disappointment with BF Goodrich AT KO's I am torn between the Michelin and the Toyo
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #16
Wally15

Tire Brands

Quote:
Originally Posted by concours View Post
Check out the specs on Toyo Observe Tuff Duty I had the same disappointment with BF Goodrich AT KO's I am torn between the Michelin and the Toyo
That's not all that surprising, B. F. Goodrich is a wholly owned subsidiary of Michelin, and has been for 25 years or so. Same same Uniroyal. The tires are made in the same factories with the same tire compounds. Usually slightly different tread patterns which can affect mileage ratings.
Kelly is owned by Goodyear. So is Dayton.
Just like with autos, there are a lot of brands in the tire business, but not that many "parent companies".
Is a GMC Sierra all that different from a Chevy Silverado?
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote