Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Yosemitebob

Broken Closet Door plastic locking device

OK, so I know everyone has issues, this one is not quite a complaint, but more of a "wow that's hard to believe". So as stated I have a broken locking device for my master bedroom closet door. So, I write Keystone, to let them know the problem, here is what I said,

I bought a Cougar 331 a couple of months ago. My sliding closet door in the front has a broken latch. Where can I order another, it's 80 miles to where I bought this one and really don't want to travel that far just to get a new latch. Thank you Bob

That afternoon I get back a reply saying:

Dear Mr. Ruby,

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. I apologize; Keystone does not sell retail parts direct. Please contact your nearest Keystone Authorized dealer for parts assistance. Below is Keystone's online dealer locator:

www.keystonerv.com

Regards,

Michelle Diaz
Owner Relations

I then wrote back a comment saying:

Well that is fine, but I was hoping you would have noticed that I have had it only two months and sense it's clear it's still under warranty you might have approached it differently especially sense it only takes two screws to replace it not really giving Merritt to taking it to the dealer for such an item. I had already called and was told to bring it in I guess even your dealers want their slice of the money involved in such a minor cost including part and the US mail over part, the dealer cost additional paperwork etc. etc. dealing with the dealer. I guess you could call that keeping America moving. I'm not saying what your doing is wrong it's just not prudent.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't understand why they, Keystone, just want to cut corners here and there, save money, and then, not even work with me in the small item of a handle lock. I tried to save them money, instead now, I have to drive 80 miles one way to take it to the dealer,(fuel and time) have them install it at whatever is their contract price with Keystone, and then drive another 80 miles home, this taking a whole day from me as well as costing them probably somewhere in the 100 dollar range for a piece that cost under a dollar for them. I just don't get it.

Bob
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
theeyres

Did you contact your dealer to see if it would just send you the part? That may be the cheapest solution and, for me, the whole point a dealing with a reputable dealer. They are the go to people in this kind of situation. I can sort of understand Keystone's answer. It is selling 1000's of rigs a month and there is just no way they can stop and figure out when it might be cheaper to deal with a buyer and when it isn't. So they just make a flat out policy and stick to it. That's just the way it is when dealing with a major manufacturer. (Can you imagine writing GM as asking for a specific $1 part?) Hope you can find a cheap solution.

Here is another solution if you want to forget about dealing with Keystone. That happen before I bought my Arctic Fox (used) and evidently the previous owner just drilled a hole in the aluminum slide track on the floor right up against to door. Then he dropped a pin into the hole and the door couldn't move. He did that next to each sliding door. We always used that solution and never had a problem. Make sense?

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Yosemitebob

Yes, not a bad idea, the thing is, it's still on warranty, I've only had it three months. , I really like it and I like trailering it, so I'm going to drive out to the dealer, just so he can install it and bill Keystone. My wife calls me stubborn, maybe, but it will let me drive, talk to the people at the dealer for a while, I'll make a day of it. I really don't mind, just tried to save them some money. In fact while I'm there I'm going to order an extra set.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
outwest

That's one of the things that irks me about keystone. They seem to prefer to waste money and cause customer aggravation.

One of the first things I noticed on ours was there was no cap for the gravity fill inlet. Keystone said that I'd have to take it in to dealer to get one. I called local dealer (selling dealer was over 3 hrs away) and they said the same, that they'd have to see that it's not there before they could replace, but started the warranty process. They called me back the next day and said warranty denied because dealer bought from did not note it missing when dealer took delivery from Keystone.

Really? Making a customer mad over such a cheap part? ? I bought it on Amazon for a few bucks and free shipping (since I'm a Prime member), but still...

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Yosemitebob,

I see you're driving a Dodge truck, so let's use Dodge as a "test pig" for the same situation that you're complaining about Keystone: I copied your letter to Keystone and will highlight the changes in red for easy tracking.

"I bought a Cougar 331 a couple of months ago. My sliding closet door in the front has a broken latch. Where can I order another, it's 80 miles to where I bought this one and really don't want to travel that far just to get a new latch. Thank you Bob"

"I bought a Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel a couple of months ago. My cigarette lighter socket in the front has a broken latch. Where can I order another, it's 80 miles to where I bought this one and really don't want to travel that far just to get a new cigarette lighter socket. Thank you Bob"

Do you really think that by mailing the above to the assembly plant or to Chrysler main offices in Michigan that you'll get anything different than what you got from Keystone?

It may not be "convenient" for you (or for me) but Keystone doesn't stock retail parts for sale to customers, they aren't in that kind of business and they don't make exceptions. If they did it for you, then not for me, and then for someone else, imagine the anger and complaints they would get. Keystone has a "retail sales agreement" with their dealerships stating that they won't undersell or compete with them. Ford, Chrysler and GM also have that same agreement with their dealerships. Try to order a part from Dodge for your truck, you'll be referred to the "nearest dealership" for parts and service.

As you say, the part costs "maybe a dollar" so if the "principle" is worth the fuel, time and wear and tear on your rig to "prove a point" then by all means, tow it the 80 miles. I'm making an "educated guess" that as soon as you drive away from the dealer's service facility, the point you were trying to make will be conveniently "trashcanned" as they get back to business as usual. You might want to look at alternatives and save the time and effort, not to mention the wear on your rig. Some battles just aren't worth fighting, this is probably one of them. It's the same with every major manufacturing company which has dealer networks and "no compete" clauses in their contracts.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Yosemitebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Yosemitebob,

Some battles just aren't worth fighting, this is probably one of them. .
My dad used to say "son, pick your battles wisely, for some ain't worth fighting if you have to take a step back", your right this one would be a step backwards. Hey, are you, no you ain't older than me. You know, I bet I can find it on ebay or maybe even amazon.

Well, maybe our posts will help others see it in a light a little clearer and make a better decision.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
OK, so I know everyone has issues, this one is not quite a complaint, but more of a "wow that's hard to believe". So as stated I have a broken locking device for my master bedroom closet door. So, I write Keystone, to let them know the problem, here is what I said,

I bought a Cougar 331 a couple of months ago. My sliding closet door in the front has a broken latch. Where can I order another, it's 80 miles to where I bought this one and really don't want to travel that far just to get a new latch. Thank you Bob

That afternoon I get back a reply saying:

Dear Mr. Ruby,

Thank you for contacting Keystone RV. I apologize; Keystone does not sell retail parts direct. Please contact your nearest Keystone Authorized dealer for parts assistance. Below is Keystone's online dealer locator:

www.keystonerv.com

Regards,

Michelle Diaz
Owner Relations

I then wrote back a comment saying:

Well that is fine, but I was hoping you would have noticed that I have had it only two months and sense it's clear it's still under warranty you might have approached it differently especially sense it only takes two screws to replace it not really giving Merritt to taking it to the dealer for such an item. I had already called and was told to bring it in I guess even your dealers want their slice of the money involved in such a minor cost including part and the US mail over part, the dealer cost additional paperwork etc. etc. dealing with the dealer. I guess you could call that keeping America moving. I'm not saying what your doing is wrong it's just not prudent.

Sent from my iPhone

I don't understand why they, Keystone, just want to cut corners here and there, save money, and then, not even work with me in the small item of a handle lock. I tried to save them money, instead now, I have to drive 80 miles one way to take it to the dealer,(fuel and time) have them install it at whatever is their contract price with Keystone, and then drive another 80 miles home, this taking a whole day from me as well as costing them probably somewhere in the 100 dollar range for a piece that cost under a dollar for them. I just don't get it.

Bob
If you are referring to the clear plastic clip that holds the sliding mirrored door in place, it's made by RV Designers. RV Designers provides probably 95% of the hardware in these trailers. The part number is H527. Most RV dealers should have them, and I've also seen them on Amazon. I think they are about $8 for a pair of them. Even with shipping it's much cheaper than the gas to get to your dealer and less inconvenience than leaving your trailer with the dealer for two weeks.

Having gotten past that. welcome to the wonderful world of Keystone Customer No-Service. You have heard the phrase, "Pick your fights, because some fights are not worth fighting". Well, none of them are worth the fight at Keystone because you are not going to win any of them. If it's possible for Customer Service to be less than abysmal, Keystone is there. The best you will get is an "I apologize" email, even after the warranty expires. If you call, good luck getting past the receptionist that screens their calls. If there is anyone here who has received anything in the way of assistance from them, please speak up. I would love to read it. Obviously, Keystone is quite happy with the one time buyer market. I'll be helping them with that.

Happy Camping..

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
Albert

Nice job putting things in perspective John. Bob, you may be stubborn but you are certainly are not stupid. It is smart to change your mind when presented with a convincing argument. Lots of people will never change their mind even when they find out they are wrong, or admit it in public like you had the guts to do.

Very refreshing post. Learned a good lesson from this and it had nothing to do with RV's
Old 11-13-2013, 06:46 AM   #9
Bob Landry

Not sure I what I admitted to being wrong about, since that does happen quite a bit the older we get. Thanks anyway for the compliment. I try to base my opinions on fact and personal experience, but occasionally my button gets pushed and I go off on something.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Albert

Sorry Bob Landry, was talking about the original poster who's name is also Bob.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
jsmith948

Thanks Bob - great info regarding RV Designers since I broke a plastic curtain clip yesterday -

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
Bob Landry

I figured that out, just didn't delete my post. Must have just been on cup #1 when I read this.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
KanTC

2 Bob's and 2 John's, in one discussion, can indeed get confusing

As stated, closet door latches are inexpensive, and available at many RV dealerships. It's one of those items
(like RV light bulbs, etc) that it's good to have "an extra" on hand in the RV repair/maintenance kit.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...or-latch/49690

Other members have the same issue with the 'plastic' latches... not uncommon for several RV brands.
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14120

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Bob Landry

When I break a part,I always buy two, one for the replacement and one for the spare parts box, especially if it is not a high $$$ part. Usually it's going to be less than the price after you burn fuel to go to the dealership, or pay shipping on-line.
Along with a pretty good selection of tools, I carry light bulbs, fuses, Flair hose connections, closet latch, propane regulator, spare power cord, two spare water hoses, and an extra sewer hose. add to that an air compressor, torque wrench, shore power adapters for pedestals, in general, anything that can cause a trip to go south, I don't carry a spare propane pigtail because the likelihood of both failing is low and I can limp with one propane tank and switch if I need to. I don't carry a spare propane hose so if men gets cut(unlikely), I have to cook inside. After all, you do have to approach this with a little common sense. The one thing that I don't have and should is a battery charger, which would keep the lights and the propane appliance controls running in the event of a convert failure

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Well, none of them are worth the fight at Keystone because you are not going to win any of them. If it's possible for Customer Service to be less than abysmal, Keystone is there. T

Happy Camping..
We bought a Springdale trailer years ago in Mesa, AZ from RV Traders. We were on the way through, from OR, and having horrid problems with our current trailer. They said if you have any problems, take your trailer to any dealer, get a quote, call us and we will take care of it. And they did just that. We had a couple issues 1000's of miles from Mesa, and they saw that the problem was solved with no work on our part. Just saying, as others are saying, Keystone is like GM, Dodge, etc. If you have a good dealer you will be taken care of. Lousy dealer, lousy service. The dealer even loaned us his personal truck to take for lunch while the new trailer was being prepped.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
04z71

So when making a new purchase set aside an amount a month for repairs because that 300-500 a month payment is not enough
04z71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04z71 View Post
So when making a new purchase set aside an amount a month for repairs because that 300-500 a month payment is not enough
Enjoy the RV and expect that normal operating expenses for it will be needed just as they are in a stick built home, a car or even a new lawn mower. Consider that some repair costs will be incurred. You wouldn't expect Sears or Lowe's to sharpen the blade on your new lawn mower after you use it and it becomes dull, and it's not reasonable to expect Keystone to tighten the hinges on your new RV. But, they will if you are within the warranty, drag it to the dealership and want it done. (don't complain about the 3 week service time, expense of towing, loss of camping pleasure during the repairs and dust/dirt on the outside where it sat out in the open)

Yes, it would be prudent to budget an amount each month to maintain your RV. I wouldn't call it "repair money" but rather "operational expense." How much would depend on how you use your RV and your "skill-set." If you have limited "self help" skills, no tools and break things faster than normal and don't like spending time "tinkering" you might want to increase that monthly "set-aside."

I can't think of anything I bought "on time payments" in the last 20 years that I expected the monthly payment to cover all operating expenses, repairs and associated costs. I wouldn't expect it in an RV purchase either.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote