Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #21
pramey9876

good luck with that find. I've been told by several local dealers that since I did not purchase my unit from them the would not fix it under warranty due to reimbursement rates paid by Keystone. Only one, Camping World, was willing to do the warranty work.
As I was told by one dealer, if I pushed them to fix a problem under warranty the unit would sit in the back lot for a long time. Did I really want to be without my trailer all summer?
Just cause the manual says dealers are supposed to do warranty work does not mean they will. If you force them do you really want your trailer left with them?
pramey9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramey9876 View Post
good luck with that find. I've been told by several local dealers that since I did not purchase my unit from them the would not fix it under warranty due to reimbursement rates paid by Keystone. Only one, Camping World, was willing to do the warranty work.
As I was told by one dealer, if I pushed them to fix a problem under warranty the unit would sit in the back lot for a long time. Did I really want to be without my trailer all summer?
Just cause the manual says dealers are supposed to do warranty work does not mean they will. If you force them do you really want your trailer left with them?
I think it's going to be an "evolutionary" thing. It will take time, customers complaining (objectively) to Keystone about specific dealers and giving facts and names/times/places to document the "poor dealerships" Eventually, it will evolve to what we all enjoy with the automobile manufacturers and their dealers.

To answer your question about "do I really want...." Heck no, If a dealer isn't that concerned about me and my rig, I'll mosey on down the road and keep my money. There's not a thing he has that I'd want to provide him profits on, so he can dry up (hopefully) and shut the doors for all I care.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:51 AM   #23
Bob Landry

It's just hard for me to wrap around the idea that a dealer would not perform warranty work for a manufacturer they they represent. They may not make as much as they like on a warranty repair, but warranty does not last forever and that warranty customer that you make happy at some point turns into a T&M customer that still needs service and will be happy to pay for it. I would also be curious what the warranty reimbursement rate is.
I'm a Dometic Marine dealer and I make as much off of warranty work as I do my regular customers. In fact they pay well enough that I base my flat rates on the times that they assign to specific jobs because they have figured in travel, diagnostics, and repair time in hours and they pay whatever my shop rate is. Even if I give away some time, it's no big deal, because the guy appreciates that I took care of him that turns him into a repeat customer. There are are some jobs that I really do not want to do, but the previous statement applies there also. I'm just not in business to send work to other shops.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:25 AM   #24
Essness

I think the dealers that refuse, or set low priority on the warranty work for reasons of not having purchased the unit from them will not be around long anyway!
Their business plan is flawed and you can only turn your back on so many potential customers before they shut you down. The internet and access to information has dramatically changed the direct to consumer market place. Some of the dinosaurs have faded away, the ones that are left are slowly marching towards extinction.

Like one of my favorite sayings; "I'm not saying we have to find and kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying lets remove the warning labels and let it sort itself out."
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #25
Labracadabera

We were having trouble with the hot water system on our 2012 Keystone 3100RL that we purchased last November at a dealer about 2 hours from our home. We only went outside of our area because no local dealers carried Montana's let alone the model we were looking for. Called the dealer we purchased from and got no response, not even a phone call back. Called Keystone and the first guy I talked to seemed completely uninterested in my problem and gave me the numbers of three authorized Keystone dealers in my area that could do the warranty work. The first place, Mann's in Rutland MA (and I know these people!)were totally rude and had no interest in helping me. He basically said because we didn't buy our trailer there they would fix it when they had time because they HAD to but we were responsible for any additional charges not paid by Keystone. Flagg in WB never called me back. Flagg in Uxbridge was nice but couldn't get us in until the end of August. We have a bunch of trips scheduled and paid for and that just wasn't acceptable to me.

Called a local RV repair shop, Timbuktu, that is about 3 miles from my house. Explained the situation to him and he had us bring it in the next day. I called Keystone back and spoke to a very nice girl who said to have them detail the repair and save any parts and they would reimburse me for the charges. When I spoke to Timbuktu the next day they had at least four hours into the trailer and still couldn't figure out why the system wasn't working. Turns out it needed parts that they had to order but as it was a holiday weekend approaching and we had plans they put in a used part to get us going and ordered the new part. When we picked it up and went to pay them.....no charge! He said he would submit the bills to Suburban, the manufacturer of the water heater, and they would reimburse him. Now that is customer service at it's best.

I will be using Timbuktu and recommending them to anyone in need of RV service. Sad thing is I had spent a lot of money in the past at Mann's on replacement parts for a previous RV and the owner is a friend of my sisters. I know if I had made them realize who they were speaking with they most likely would have treated me different but at that point, I didn't want to deal with them.
Labracadabera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #26
Essness

And when it comes time to buy a new one, will Mann be someone you consider buying from?
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Old 07-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #27
Labracadabera

Absolutely not Essness!!! When we began our search last fall for a fifth wheel, Mann's was the first place we went as we knew the owner and I like to do business with people I know as well as local business. The sales person was not the slightest bit interested in us. The only Keystones they carried were travel trailers, mostly Springdale and Sprinter and I knew we wanted a Montana. He showed us two other fifth wheels that were not Keystone and not a thing like we were looking for. Now I won't even go to them for misc parts and service. I will take my business elsewhere.......
Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labracadabera View Post
Absolutely not Essness!!! When we began our search last fall for a fifth wheel, Mann's was the first place we went as we knew the owner and I like to do business with people I know as well as local business. The sales person was not the slightest bit interested in us. The only Keystones they carried were travel trailers, mostly Springdale and Sprinter and I knew we wanted a Montana. He showed us two other fifth wheels that were not Keystone and not a thing like we were looking for. Now I won't even go to them for misc parts and service. I will take my business elsewhere.......
Thanks Labra, thats my point regarding the flawed buisness plan. It's real easy these days to send someone away that will never come back.
It would always be in the businesses best interest to do whatever it takes to continually impress potential customers and it's easier and cost less to do so.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Old 07-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #29
suza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labracadabera View Post
We were having trouble with the hot water system on our 2012 Keystone 3100RL that we purchased last November at a dealer about 2 hours from our home. We only went outside of our area because no local dealers carried Montana's let alone the model we were looking for. Called the dealer we purchased from and got no response, not even a phone call back. Called Keystone and the first guy I talked to seemed completely uninterested in my problem and gave me the numbers of three authorized Keystone dealers in my area that could do the warranty work. The first place, Mann's in Rutland MA (and I know these people!)were totally rude and had no interest in helping me. He basically said because we didn't buy our trailer there they would fix it when they had time because they HAD to but we were responsible for any additional charges not paid by Keystone. Flagg in WB never called me back. Flagg in Uxbridge was nice but couldn't get us in until the end of August. We have a bunch of trips scheduled and paid for and that just wasn't acceptable to me.

Called a local RV repair shop, Timbuktu, that is about 3 miles from my house. Explained the situation to him and he had us bring it in the next day. I called Keystone back and spoke to a very nice girl who said to have them detail the repair and save any parts and they would reimburse me for the charges. When I spoke to Timbuktu the next day they had at least four hours into the trailer and still couldn't figure out why the system wasn't working. Turns out it needed parts that they had to order but as it was a holiday weekend approaching and we had plans they put in a used part to get us going and ordered the new part. When we picked it up and went to pay them.....no charge! He said he would submit the bills to Suburban, the manufacturer of the water heater, and they would reimburse him. Now that is customer service at it's best.

I will be using Timbuktu and recommending them to anyone in need of RV service. Sad thing is I had spent a lot of money in the past at Mann's on replacement parts for a previous RV and the owner is a friend of my sisters. I know if I had made them realize who they were speaking with they most likely would have treated me different but at that point, I didn't want to deal with them.
Nice to hear a happy ending to a frustrating situation. If more dealers and service departments would read the forums, attitudes would change. Being a business major, I totally agree with Essness's concept of the "flawed business plan".
Bridge, OR
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2014 Cougar 279RKS
2013 F-350 Super Duty Powerstroke 4WD LB CC

https://i1365.photobucket.com/albums/...ps78607eca.jpg
suza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #30
Pmedic4

Warranty Service Sign in Dealers Service Department

While it doesn't affect us, in our Dealer's Service department there is the sign which states, " We do not provide Warranty Service on RV's purchased elsewhere."
It would be interesting to see their reaction to this comment - of course from someone who didn't purchase from them.

I posted earlier, bought my previous RV from a dealer about 200 miles away, because they had a left over model we wanted, and this RV - from Thor, Sunset Trails TT, was told the nearest point of service was 175 miles away. Bad part was, I had several minor issues, and it was'nt really worth the cost of fuel to haul the RV 350 miles. I ended up getting work done at a local RV place, and saved the gas money and spent a few bucks. Ended up getting a Slideout awning installed, so the dealer got even more of my money.
Too bad they aren't a Keystone / Cougar dealer, I would have bought from them, and their models of Forest River doesn't have anything comparable, at least at the time.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #31
theeyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I have a great ocean front lot just outside of Yuma, Arizona.....
How much are you asking? I've been looking for an ocean front lot there....

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #32
Labracadabera

We have a few things we will be purchasing to add to our new fifth wheel. Possible 2nd a/c unit, max airs, three awnings for the slides are on the list right now. You can bet I won't be going into Mann's where I've normally purchased this stuff. I will go to Timbuktu even if it costs me a little more. I believe in loyalty even if some of these Keystone dealers don't