Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
John R

Aluminum Wheels

I have a 2011 Couger xl with aluminum wheels that are starting to corrode. My dealer contacted Keystone about the problem and was told this is an environment problem and nothing that they would do about it. I keep my camper in my pole barn its not in the weather except when we use it. Ant one else having this problem and how was the problem resolved?
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Javi

I'd suspect road salt...

I'd get steel wheels..
Old 08-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
smiller

Sometimes 'dress up' items cause more trouble than they're worth. Dark front caps, aluminum wheels, etc., all look nice when new but once they start to fade/corrode/etc. they end up looking worse than the base model options.

That said, you can get the wheels professionally polished and re-coated and they will look good again, and maybe last longer than the original factory finish.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
John R

Hasn't been used in our michigan weather and stored inside during that time
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Outbackmel

Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish

Go to any motorcycle or auto parts store and look for "Mother's". Use it on a regular basis. It will remove corrision and make them look like new. Aluminum is a B _ _ _ h to keep up, but it can be done. Used it on boats, cycles, etc; anything aluminum and IT WORKS....or you can ignore the affects and pay the piper by replacing wheels with something else. Personally, I have better use for my $$ than camper wheels...like diesel fuel
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:16 AM   #6
x96mnn

Mine had corrosion and rust on the dealer lot.

Is that Mothers Aluminium rim cleaner?
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Hasn't been used in our michigan weather and stored inside during that time
I'd still get steel wheels when you need to replace the tires..

I tried my best to get my dealer to “down grade” me to steel from his “upgrade” aluminum wheels on my new 2890RL because alloy wheels are a pain in the behind. If they aren't corroding, you're having to constantly torque the lug nuts... give me steel any day... I plan to change mine out PDQ... as well as replace the “C” load range tires with “E”
Old 08-31-2012, 03:37 AM   #8
Mij

If the rims are clearcoated not sure if mothers will help. If the factor isnt carefull when they mount the tire to the rim and chip the edge of the clearcoat they get moisture underneath and will cloud up and chip. General Motors will not cover my buddys Sierra rims with 10k on them and those are chipping around the spoke and and edge. ROCK CHIPPING is what they are calling it. FAIL
Old 08-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Outbackmel

Mother's

Yes. And for those "doubters" I say for a few bucks, the only thing you lose is a little elbow grease and the HUGE possibility of great satisfaction. I have used this stuff for many, many years and have a container (paste) on my "go to" shelf in the garage at all times. It would not have the successful history it does if it did not work well. Bikers are MUCH more vocal than RV'ers...

Try it....every circumstance is different. Wifey has a 1700 Yamaha with aluminum rims, makes them look new. "we may be old but we ain't slow"; yet.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
unclecharlie

Mothers & NEVR- DULL

Try Mothers with Nevr-Dull you can get both from Wallmart
unclecharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Mighty Ming

To make things easier by yourself the Mothers Power Ball which attaches to a drill and saves alot of buffing. Just use a corded drill cuz it spins faster than a cordless. Again if the the wheels are clear coated...,, no can use Mothers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Go Padres!!
Mighty Ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:26 AM   #12
Maxzd

I know the feeling. All four of my wheels within 6 weeks of purchase new did this. My father in law same unit delivered same week never happened. I suspect it was the route my driver took on delivery to the dealer. Lots of road salt, delivery was November. Keystone replaced all 4 wheels, no issues no fight. Although my dealer mistakenly only ordered 3 rims instead of 4 at first. Two trips to have them mount them.

I wax the rims a couple times a year now, remove the wheel entirely, clean and rotate the tires. They still look new after 2 years and seem to need less elbow grease to clean up.

2003 Dodge Ram 3500
5.9L Cummins Diesel
2011 Cougar 325 SRX
Maxzd is offline   Reply With Quote