Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #1
charlesjemeyson

Angry 35' Montana 5th wheel problems

Hello All:
I am a new Keystone owner. I purchased my 35’ Montana 5th wheel in November of 2009. It has sat in my backyard until I used it on May 2nd of this year.

I purchased it for only one purpose and that was to pull it to Mustang Island State Park in Port Aransas, Texas. My wife and I have been going to this park for years. Last year we became “park hosts” and stayed 3 months. ar. This year we planned on staying 5 months.

We had our dealer, Crestview RV here in San Antonio, add a washer/dryer “combo” to the trailer.

When we arrived Sunday night, May 2nd, we started our normal “setup” of the trailer. We had it plugged into a 50 amp circuit for about two hours and we notice something smelling like electrical wiring burning. My wife shouted at me, “Something is burning in our bedroom.” I went into the bedroom and noticed smoke coming from the washer/dryer so I unplugged it.
I also noticed that my lamp was about five times the brightness it should be.
Being as I have spent my whole life as an engineer (IBM retired) I went out to my truck and got my meter to measure the voltage.
I measured 120 volts from ground to BOTH the neutral and hot side. IN other words, I measured 240 volts across my 120 volt circuit. This voltage was the cause of my washer/dryer burning. I also lost a fan, clock radio, converter box and microwave to the 240 volts. How did 240 volts get on my 120 volt circuit??? Well, it’s simple; I lost my “neutral” in the power plug. When I plugged it in, the neutral wasn’t there and I had a “floating ground.”

Monday I called the dealer Crestview RV here in San Antonio and they told me it was a “surge.” I was furious and told them my background as an engineer and I knew a surge from a spike and the problem was NEITHER!!

They told me to call Keystone. I did and spoke to Carmon in the service department. She immediately told me I had a “spike” (even after I explained to her what I had done.) She then told me to call my insurance.

Monday, I went by a dealer in Corpus Christi and told him of my problems. He said, “We had three 5th wheel Cardinals do the same thing.” They found the problem, like I did, in the power cord supplying the electricity. This dealer told me that they had to replace most of their appliances in the three RV’s due to the 240 volts and the manufacture didn’t want to warrant the equipment until they sent pictures of the power cable fault.

I CAN’T BELIEVE A MANUFACTURE LIKE KEYSTONE HAS A DEAF EAR TO A SERIOUS PROBLEM LIKE THIS.
I could have burnt my trailer up with this problem.

Now, my slide out is leaking water. I will update you when I report this problem. They will probably tell me to contact my insurance. By the way, my insurance is Progressive and they went out of their way to help me.

As soon as I get all this repaired, I will probably trade this Montana trailer in for something else. I can’t afford Keystone. They do NOT back up their warranty nor will even try to help you.
Just think I purchased an extra 7 year warranty on this trailer. LOL

Thanks for your ear,
Semper Fi,
Charles Jemeyson
[email protected]
San Antonio, Texas 78239
charlesjemeyson is offline   Reply With Quote