Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Geoffwhite18

transfer switch

I got a recall notice from keystone about my 2010 Montana 3605RL. Ive seen the other threds on the forum about the iota its 50 transfer switch, but I cant seem to find where mine is at. Its not in with the batteries like the dealer said. Im living in our trailer for work and its up on blocks and skirted, so going to the dealer is out of the question. They pretty much told me they are to busy to come change it, so that leaves good old me to do the job. Does anyone have any idea where this thing is at? Thanks!
Geoffwhite18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
geo

Geoff -

If the dealer told me that the transfer switch was in the battery compartment, I wouldn't even let the dealer around the transfer switch, much less change it! Putting the transfer switch in wet or explosive environments is dangerous! As in hydrogen coming off charging batteries.

I would guess that your Montana might be similar to my Alpine. Does your shorepower attach to the port rear? If so, look behind the storage compartment panel behind the WaterWorks. You will probably find a black box with an Iota label.

If you are going to change it yourself, hope you don't mind some advice. First!!!! Unplug the shore power and remove the spark plug wires from the generator's spark plugs. You DO NOT want any power coming in while you are in there! Locate and identify all wires. Do you have a torque screwdriver or an adapter for a torque wrench? You must torque tighten the lug screws to specs for safety and to prevent corrosion (and possibly a fire!). Cut the old wire crimp off and strip the wire to specs for the new crimp. Keep the area clean, do not let any foreign material to fall into the switch. This includes stripped insulation. When you get everything installed and torqued down, wait 30 minutes before doing ANYTHING else! Retorque the lug screws. You will probably find that they will tighten up just a bit.

Above all, please be careful! As "they" say, "THINK BEFORE DOING!". Double check all your connections. Get the switch closed up and everyone clear before plugging back in to shorepower. Let us know how you do and if you have any questions.

Contact Keystone Customer Service when you are finished. Robyne will probably want you to send in the circuit board from the Iota. This will disable the Iota and give Keystone "proof" that your unit has been changed.

Good luck, and above all, please be careful.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Geoffwhite18

Thanks for the info. I don't mind any advice at all. I've done lots of electrical work so I kinda understand what's going on. I did finally find the panel. Here are some pics.

I don't see any melting issues yet, but its going to get replaced anyway.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
geo

Geoff -

Looks like it was on the starboard side, so I was at least close! . I am curious, though. It does appear on one photo that the inside of the case might have sawdust inside. When you remove the unit, please don't turn it face down. Hold it face up, shake it a bit and see how much sawdust settles to the bottom. If there is sawdust in the case, be sure to let Robyne know. It is my thoughts that improper handling and case contamination might be the primary reason for failure. I had about a tablespoon of sawdust in mine.

The failure usually occurs under high loads, like two a/c units running, when air temps are high, like July and August in your area. I think it is sawdust ash build-up on the contacts causing resistance that results in a meltdown

I know I'm redundant, but when you mount the new case, keep everything clean. And do properly torque the lugs.

By the way, your Montana and TV look great! I doubt you have many problems going uphill!

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #5
Geoffwhite18

Got an appointment today with the dealer to have then come out and replace it. I have to pay the service call but oh well. At least it will be fixed.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Geoffwhite18

Well we got the transfer switch replaced today. The guy actually did a pretty good job. They replaced it with a WFCO T-57. It seems to be a pretty good box. Our lights would randomly dim before the swap. I just chalked it up to the shore power. immediately after replacing the switch both my wife and I noticed a huge difference in the lights. They are quite a bit brighter, and the random dimming has disappeared. Either my iota switch was going bad, or they are just pieces of junk. Either way i'm happy to have it replaced.