Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2019, 06:48 AM   #1
SRD

Battery charger

Going to do some dry camping soon and will need to charge batteries. I will be using a inverter generator to do this. After some investigating I have found it is faster to charge with battery charger rather than use the generator to charge batteries via trailers convertor/charger. What charger would be recommended to do this fast and efficient with out breaking the bank. Need some advice thanks
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
travelin texans

You'll run the generator to power a battery charger? Not sure that's a good idea with the convertor at the same time. I'd think if you're running the generator anyway just let it all work as designed. If you're depleting the batteries that quickly daily they'll be short lived anyway.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

You need to compare what your generator can output with what a charger input needs to be for maximum charging.

Unless you have a small generator you probably have enough to run a charger.

Some generators have 12v charging built in, my Honda does, you might just need cables.

On the charger, the charging rate is usually listed in amps.

Your converter also has a battery charger and it's rated in amps as well. Find out what the rating is, because if it's outputting 5 amps and you buy a 5 amp charger, there will be no gain in performance.

So give us the specs on your converter, generator, and batteries - then we can make some intelligent suggestions.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #4
Canonman

I'd challenge the assertion that a separate charger would recharge your batteries "faster" than the in house converter. Here are some specs for the WFCO 8955 common converter:

Converter Type
Three-Stage Converter Charger
Output Current
55 A
Voltage Output
13.2 – 14.4V DC Range
Absorption Mode (Nominal Voltage)
13.6V DC (nominal voltage)
Bulk Mode (Quick Charging Voltage)
14.4V DC (quick charging voltage)
Float Mode (Trickle Charge Voltage)
13.2V DC (trickle charge voltage)

We found that just a couple of hours of generator time fully recharged our batteries after an overnight of running the furnace plus the other 12v accessories with no problem.
We're now using our Zamp solar set up and seldom even use the generator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1495.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	333.1 KB
ID:	20977  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
SRD

Battery charging reply

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my question so far. The generator Inverter I have is a Ryobi 2200/1800 . My plans are only to keep batteries charged with this. We will only use light when needed(led) and the water pump for showers (2 of us) and dish washing. Propane for the fridge and water heater. Will be there for 5 nights. I do have two batteries but at this point they are not wired for parallel. Is that something I shoul do. They are not matching batteries but both are good batteries.So in the opinion of those who have more experience than me, can I just plug my trailer into this generator and let it work. My trailer is a 2017 Passport Elite 19rb
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
Canonman

Your generator may need a plug adaptor (mine did) https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55333-3.../dp/B0011FLODA
This will allow you to plug directly from the Passport to the 30 amp outlet on the generator. I can't tell for sure if the Ryobi is equipped with a 30 amp outlet but if not the standard 120v to RV 30 amp "dog bone" adaptor is all you'd need.
You should wire the two batteries together for maximum amp hour storage and ease of charging. Your converter will charge both with no problem.
At 15 amps the Ryobi may not start your A/C but it will run the rest of your 110v accessories.
We would run our generator for 1 to 2 hours each day to keep our batteries topped off. You don't want lead acid batteries to drop below 50% discharge.
We've gone over a week on batteries dry camping using the above process. The limiting factor being the black water tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-7939.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	20980  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

A quick search shows your generator has 12v output. Read the manual, if it can be used to charge, buy the cables.

Google didn't tell me what you have for a converter. Really need to know for a correct answer.

You can wire two batterys in parrallel to maintain 12v. Don't mix and match batts, they should be the same size.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
bobbecky

You will find you get a better use of your batteries if they are matching and paralleled. Not sure why you would have two batteries and only use one. Using them together will make both of them last a lot longer instead of stressing one, which will really shorten it's life.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #9
whcarr

I run a honda 1000 watt charger, two 15 amp battery chargers, each hooked to one battery. The honda puts out 8amps 12v DC at max throttle, it runs the two battery chargers at about 1/2 throttle. Saves fuel and is quieter. Have been doing this at our remote cabin for about 10 years with no problems.
whcarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery