Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Steve S

Downsizing?

First off I absolutely love my trailer and there's nothing that I don't like about it and if there was I made the mod.
I've actually never measured the length of the truck and the trailer until today. The truck is an F-350 dually 4x4 long box and the trailer is roughly 26 ft. I was actually amazed at the length of the unit.
So here's the situation. It's just me and my little dog now and I was thinking today that if I had another Keystone but a few feet shorter would I be happy?
I have no issues with towing a smaller or a bigger trailer I was more thinking about having something smaller that I could zip around in. Would a few feet smaller make a huge difference? Has anyone here downsized and were you happy with the decision? If I made the decision to downsize what would be a good Keystone TT to be looking at?
Old 06-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

For my, it's more about functional floorplan than about length of the trailer. I've been in some 34' trailers that didn't have the "livability" of a 26 or 28 footer. If you've got a 26' trailer with a very livable floorplan that works for you, it may be difficult to find a smaller trailer that is as functional.

All I could suggest is that you keep an eye out for an interesting floorplan that you think will work and then do some critical comparisons to see if it's worth the downsizing effort.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

We went from 36ft 12,000 pounds to 30ft 8,000 pounds. Happy we did, one word of advice:

FLOORPLAN as stated above. Took us 3 yrs to find the right replacement. Yeah we almost traded for new last week, but it was same length and only 700 pounds more.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

Went up to a class A then down to a 30' TT. Mistake! Next a 35' 5er and was great for short stays, not so much wintering in FL. Now a comfortable 42' 5er.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Steve S

I'm seeing the floor plan being mentioned and that's my biggest thought as well. Could I get the same floor plan which I have but condensed? I'm starting to think not unless I went to a rear kitchen.
I also was thinking that if I'm towing what's a foot or two? The only time that the length matters is when I'm on the ferries which is alot of times but what's a few extra buxs?
I'm thinking that maybe it's just maybe the thought of being on the road again but this time it's just me and Zoe. It feels weird being alone since my wife suddenly died. There's so many good memories with this trailer and maybe I should keep it as I've never had any problems with it cept those cheap tires from china that were on it.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:32 AM   #6
GMcKenzie

I dunno. I don't think a couple feet less or whatnot would make a difference. I know if I was in your shoes (and I'm sorry for your loss), I'd be considering a more drastic change and looking at a good camper if I had the truck to carry it. So much more I could do with a camper around here (forest sites, lakes etc.) that I just can't do with a big trailer. Plus I could go to somewhere like Mabel with my bigger boat and still camp.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:05 AM   #7
66joej

Steve S Sorry for your loss. I also lost my wife of 48 years some time ago.
Had a nice house and a large garage, used to restore classic Mustangs as a hobby when I retired. Lost all interest in doing restorations after she passed away. Sold the house, my cars, tools and equipment bought a condo and still regret that lifestyle change. My point being don't do anything until you are relatively sure. If the floor plan works keep it. Memories matter.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcKenzie View Post
I dunno. I don't think a couple feet less or whatnot would make a difference. I know if I was in your shoes (and I'm sorry for your loss), I'd be considering a more drastic change and looking at a good camper if I had the truck to carry it. So much more I could do with a camper around here (forest sites, lakes etc.) that I just can't do with a big trailer. Plus I could go to somewhere like Mabel with my bigger boat and still camp.
I used to swear that I would always have a camper and never buy a trailer but years ago that changed. It got to the point that taking it on and off became a job but I noticed how my neighbor just hits a button and it's off in a few mins and he's on his way.
I have the truck for it it's just the cost of a new camper. Upwards of 60 grand for a nice one compared to 60 grand on a trailer makes me think about the floor space of both.
Down the road when towing becomes too much then I'll have no choice but to buy a camper as I couldn't imagine being stuck in one location for the rest of my life.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
Steve S Sorry for your loss. I also lost my wife of 48 years some time ago.
Had a nice house and a large garage, used to restore classic Mustangs as a hobby when I retired. Lost all interest in doing restorations after she passed away. Sold the house, my cars, tools and equipment bought a condo and still regret that lifestyle change. My point being don't do anything until you are relatively sure. If the floor plan works keep it. Memories matter.
Thanks for the condolences, it's been tough but to keep going on with my life is what she told me to do and to not give up.
That must have been tough to give up everything that you worked for and loved. In between having a house sold and one that I was building I rented a condo and I couldn't handle being there and all the rules were too much.
Yup the floor plan and the memories are important and maybe if I made a sudden change I'd regret it and I don't want that.
I do plan to go looking soon though but if she wouldn't be happy with it then I'll pass.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
Cheryl

Sorry to hear of your loss. My father recently passed away and I know he would have loved to go out with us. Mom is making some pretty quick decisions and unless necessary, I'm trying to encourage her to be patient. One day you will know if you want a different trailer or not. I was sad about losing my childhood home but my memories of my dad are in my head and heart not the things. Take care.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
kjohn

Sorry to hear of your loss. We started out trailer life with a Jayco 197, no slide out. Soon after, we bought a 197 with a slide. Way better floor plan, and a big difference with a slide. This Spring we bought a new Cougar 21 RBS(?). The trailer isn't much longer than the 197, but much nicer. We don't spend a lot of time trailering, but I do believe floor plan is as important as size, in most cases.

Cheryl, my parents are both gone, my Dad in 1965 when I was 17, and my Mom in 1986. I feel so fortunate that I am now able to spend my retirement years in the house my Dad had built in 1949, and I lived in until I was 20. So many good memories floating around in that house. A true home for me.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #12
Cheryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
Sorry to hear of your loss. We started out trailer life with a Jayco 197, no slide out. Soon after, we bought a 197 with a slide. Way better floor plan, and a big difference with a slide. This Spring we bought a new Cougar 21 RBS(?). The trailer isn't much longer than the 197, but much nicer. We don't spend a lot of time trailering, but I do believe floor plan is as important as size, in most cases.

Cheryl, my parents are both gone, my Dad in 1965 when I was 17, and my Mom in 1986. I feel so fortunate that I am now able to spend my retirement years in the house my Dad had built in 1949, and I lived in until I was 20. So many good memories floating around in that house. A true home for me.
You are fortunate. We just finished moving out mom's things from a home I spent my childhood in. A difficult day but sometimes that is just life.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote