Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
Coconutz

First "Long Haul"

This is our first season owning a TT and we've been out with it nearly every weekend since the season opened up here in New England. We've done mostly local stuff over the weekend, just getting the hang of things, how the TV and TT interact, setting up camp, etc.

We had an opportunity to travel to Cedar Point Park in OH and jumped at it. Overall all went well, I say overall because we had a water pump go out on us on the NY Thruway and set us back about 4 hours. I got lots more on that story if you're interested as well as the name of a good mechanic. We planned on a 2 day trip out and 2 days back in which helped once we had the breakdown because we could figure out the issue and still get to our destination on time.

I was nervous about a 13-14 hr drive but traveling in a caravan made things a little easier, for one I had more resources available during the breakdown and also someone who already knew the route, stops, overnight campgrounds, etc. I have a CB in my truck for situational awareness but we used GMRS/FRS radios between our TV and our friend in his Class A (I'm licensed for GMRS) which made lane changes, detours and other road hazards easy to spot and correct as well as making stops for fuel, etc.

Learned a lot on the drive, especially being aware of those driver that make you want to and that while my 1500 is good for short hauls it really struggles over a longer period of time, I know this is because I'm near the max of what truck can handle, and now that the wife has seen it, I think I have a strong argument for an upgrade

This forum has been great to get information on trailers in general, not many 232's out there yet, new floorplan, but general info helps a lot especially for a newbie. Next up are a few more local trips as we plan for a fall trip, makes no sense for the thing to sit in the driveway!

Coconutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
CaptnJohn

Sorry to hear of your problem on the road but glad all turned out fine. Congratulations on your soon to be new TV as well. My guess is you have only a couple years at most in this TT so plan ahead and get a 1 ton so you don't find yourself in this position again.... don't ask how I know!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
Pull Toy

Glad you had a "productive/good/educational" experience overall.

Just getting out of Warwick safely, is a major accomplishment! LOL We seem to spend half of our lives on 95/295 as two of our grandkids are in Cumberland, and our favorite campground is Normandy Farms in Foxboro, and other points north. We're barely into CT (exit 93)

Don't you love the little red 2 seater Mercedes who whip across your bow to make the exit with no turn signal? ( How is it they can afford a $60,000 cruiser, but hesitate to burn out a $1.29 #1156 bulb) I love to anticipate... and speed up! It can get exciting, but they'll learn.

I think that every state should require trailering as part of the basic licensing test, even if it just a 12' landscaper. They'd have a better grasp of our every day experiences.

Welcome home,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:23 AM   #4
Coconutz

Yes it was an accomplishment, especially with all the construction near the airport. I started to just hold my speed near the ramps on the way home, my thought was "they'll figure it out when their staring at 30' of trailer" lol, but seriously I used to be one of those people when I was younger and after almost being owned by a couple tractor trailers you learn quick. I just enter a different state of mind when towing and I'm a lot more defensive and honestly never in any rush.

And yes we are looking at the benefits of a larger truck for a future upgrade (as you indicate a few years down the road) Just don't know how big yet, a future upgrade will involve looking at moving from a TT to something drive-able...we'll see in a few years

Coconutz is offline   Reply With Quote