Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #1
yeabuddy

Referring someone to the search function...

I have a question I'm interested to get others thoughts on.
So of course it starts with my humble opinion ..............
I'm not a big fan of seeing someone refer another member to the search function when they ask a question. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a "forum"? I'm pretty sure any general question someone can come up with in regards to RV's and RVing has been answered, but part of being a member in a forum is the fun of exchanging ideas and views on a particular issue, right?. Looking up an answer to your question takes the "exchange" away.
Heck, I could have probably got your opinion on this by using the search function lol
Old 02-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

"I'm pretty sure any general question someone can come up with in regards to RV's and RVing has been answered, but part of being a member in a forum is the fun of exchanging ideas and views on a particular issue, right?"

Right! BUT! If you use the search function you can see the entire tread on that subject instead of waiting for the same people to repeat what they have already posted several times. Maybe this is why Google is worth billions. Some of the most experienced folks may get reluctant to post the same things over and over and you may not get the best info. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeabuddy View Post
I'm not a big fan of seeing someone refer another member to the search function when they ask a question. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a "forum"? I'm pretty sure any general question someone can come up with in regards to RV's and RVing has been answered, but part of being a member in a forum is the fun of exchanging ideas and views on a particular issue, right?. Looking up an answer to your question takes the "exchange" away.
yeabuddy-
First, being able to use the search function of this or any other forum provides the user with a valuable tool to help find information. Once a member becomes familiar with how to use it, there is usually a wealth of information about a variety of topics that becomes available without having to ask.

Secondly, some of the questions asked require only a fairly simple and straight forward answer and really do not need an exchange of ideas and views on a particular issue. For example, if someone asks about the number of an incandescent light bulb, wants to replace it with a corresponding LED light, this probably doesn't lend itself to an exchange of ideas or views. The answer is number "x" and LED #Y. So in this case, they might be asked to use the search feature and type in "LED lights".

Thirdly, if a person is referred to using the search function it is sometimes followed with "If you can't find what you are looking for, get back to us here". We are not trying to put off answering the member's question and leave them hanging out to dry. What is being said I think is ...."The answers to your questions are here and here is where you can find them". I don't see a referral to using the search function as being indicative of an effort to curtail discussion or input.

Finally, I do see the point you are trying to make but as hankpage pointed out in his post, sometimes after reading and answering the same question over and over and over again, some of our "veteran" members tire of this and either chose not to answer or suggest to them to use the search function. Often, a member will benefit by reading what has been discussed previously as there may be some ideas found in the search that may not be brought up in current posts.

In addition a few members join the forum only to ask a single question and once it is answered in some form, leave and we never hear from them again. They are not particularly interested in an exchange of views or ideas. They simply want a quick, short answer.

Just my nickel"s worth since we don't have any cents here anymore.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 PM   #4
KanTC

Suggesting that someone "use the search function" isn't an attempt to limit the exchange of ideas and views.
The search function also gives a poster the benefit of any/all previous posts by our 16,282 members. Obviously not all members are active on the forum, and some of those are no longer here, but... there's always the possibility that "previous posts" may have MORE beneficial ideas/experiences in addition to any current replies.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
therink

I like to be helpful as well to new members, but some of the same questions are asked over and over. Most have to do with can I tow this? I could copy and paste the same answers over and over.
I wasn't referring to you the OP but trying to explain.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
GaryWT

I can understand your thinking. Sometimes when I read "do a search" it comes across as I couldn't be bothered to help you out now or do you not know that we have a search button for that. Now I know they are just being sent to a wealth of info but sometimes it comes to the wording.

If people gave a quick answer followed by a suggestion to do a search it might seem better but who knows. Like it was said, some come with one question and we might not even know if they ever come back to see the answers.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
hoffbrew

I use the search often and appreciate it. Thanks everyone!
2009 Club Car Golf Cart
2020 Ram 3500 Dually
(Reserved for new trailer)
hoffbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:13 AM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with what's been said above. Referring someone to the search function is actually showing them, if they don't know, how to access tons of information, like a library, that a responder doesn't have the time to go find and print. Much like posting a link so an individual can actually go and see/find the info they need. If they don't want to look at it, or read it, and expect the responder to go find it, read it and post it....well, there's something wrong with that.

Every person I've seen on this forum wants to help. I've not seen a single response from anyone that just says "use the search function". As John said, in some threads you have literally the same question, say about towing, asked about different vehicles. Generally they give incomplete information on the vehicle which takes multiple exchanges on the thread to get. Then the responder has to find the information, read it and post it when in fact the person asking could do the same. Not that that in and of itself is a problem; many may not know where to look or how to retrieve it and I don't think anyone here minds finding it and showing them how. But, posting a link, or suggesting a search of a particular subject, is not shirking our responsibility of trying to help but rather an effort to help the person asking the question to help themselves and provide them much more comprehensive information than what a responder could read, then type.

All that to say that the forum IS a wonderful place to exchange information and ideas; and I think everyone here wants to do that. In fact it is fun. Not only does a person get the opportunity to help and share information, you learn a ton of stuff. The posting of links and suggestion of the search function is just another way to "help" those looking for answers. JM2centavos.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

To give a "thoughtful" and "complete" answer sometimes takes half an hour or longer. Researching for links, getting calculations done and checked, typing all that information into a little box on the computer and then making sure it's accurate before hitting "SEND" takes time.

Some questions are asked almost daily. I've read questions IN A THREAD that asked the same question as the OP asked with several answers already posted 2 blocks above the new question. Sometimes, a "question asker" has some responsibility as well to not only ask, but respond to what's available. If they don't know, that's one thing, but if it's because they simply don't want to "waste their time" looking for the answer, it becomes apparent very soon if you follow their posts.

When I see questions like, "Where's my water pump?" "How do I turn on my water heater?" "Where is my light switch?" "Will my mattress be comfortable?" and similar questions, I have to wonder if the person asking feels any responsibility to read the owner's manual and look through their new trailer? Joining a forum, asking a question, and not coming back to read the answers, or then asking another similar question without even looking at the answers already posted?? Do they take any initiative to look at the data available ? or ????

Most of the responses that suggest using the search feature do contain a short or simple answer and suggest that if the reader wants more information, to use the search feature. I've seen very few (if any) responses to a question that simply say, "Use search"

Chinese Proverb:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Sort of the same as suggesting, "Use the search feature at the top of every Forum webpage....."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
{tpc}

I'm on board with whats being said about using the search and/or referring to suggesting someone use the search button. I will also say, that as forum users/regulars/newbies/etc, we all at times, probably need to clarify things and/or not jump to conclusions as the case may be.

That said, I am sure what I just typed makes little to no sense. So to illustrate, here is example that just happened to me on a different forum recently.

I went to this forum looking for advice on where to stay for an upcoming camping trip to Niagara Falls. I did a search which yielded little info, the most info I read was from another poster about a similar upcoming trip, but it was more about stops along the way, not in Niagara.

With nothing helping, I asked my question. The first post I got was to use the search function. I explained I did, that I came up with nothing, and that is why I asked.

I then received quite a few helpful posts which went back and forth with a few more questions, and I am sure the next person looking for similar advice will be armed with a bit more information..provided they use the search function and stumble across my thread.

Now, I would say the first responder could have not not jumped to the conclusion that I didn't search prior to my post. But I also could have done a better job explaining that I did a search, what I came up with, and why I was then posting.

So we both could have done it better. In the end it was fine, but sometimes it turns people off or away. But I think these are the things to keep in mind for us all.

I don't know how you go about weeding out the 1 post question asker/disappearing person. Maybe make people write an required essay prior to joining the forum? LOL
Old 02-27-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
BOWWOW

Quote:
I have a question I'm interested to get others thoughts on.
So of course it starts with my humble opinion ..............
Heck, I could have probably got your opinion on this by using the search function lol
I bet you will now if you try it!

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #12
yeabuddy

I like tpc's story. Just don't want it to turn folks away. I also like looking at it like John says with the proverb.
Some great things to consider when referring members to the search function.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
Ken / Claudia

I have another story. So, working fish/wildlife many guys I contacted ask me questions like, Can I keep this fish, Can I fish here, on and on. First I said, did you read the rule book. Most said NO. and most of those got tickets. Some said I did but, due not understand the rule. That's were help is needed. Out comes the rule book and we read it and I explain it. I have no problem helping others who do not understand or need a little help to solve a problem. But, first read the manual, ask the salesman at point of sale, ask the service manger, look up the sales booklets. Sometimes those options are not available, I understand, than ask the question. But, most complex stuff can be found and answered on here by looking it up thru past posts as I have done. I have yet to read that someone looked up there question or problem and still had further questions. But, for me that's OK they tried and still need help, so lets help them. But, first maybe they can help them self and learn.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
yeabuddy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I have another story...
Now remember, I'm talking about the definition of "forum" i.e. having a discussion or a conversation. If everyone could get there answer using the search function, none of us would log back in as there wouldn't be anything new to look through. A forum is more of a chat room than an encyclopedia IMHO and I just want to make sure we don't get away from that
Old 03-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
denverpilot

Quote:
Now remember, I'm talking about the definition of "forum" i.e. having a discussion or a conversation. If everyone could get there answer using the search function, none of us would log back in as there wouldn't be anything new to look through. A forum is more of a chat room than an encyclopedia IMHO and I just want to make sure we don't get away from that

All well and good, but a very large number of RV questions are covered in that cool multi page manual that came with the coach.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
I can't see this "forum" moving away from discussions or exchanges about RVing issues, problems or topics relating to RV's. They are an inherent part of forums - including this one.

We are not suggesting that the search function be used to answer every question but it is a useful tool that we, and other forums, have in their "tool box".

There are many questions that just don't require a "discussion or conversation" that need to take place in a chat room atmosphere. If, for example, someone asks about how much torque is required on a TT lug nut, there doesn't need to be a lengthy dialogue about what the answer is. The answer really doesn't require a debate.

I think you are taking the definition of "forum" too literally and not leaving room for another and equally effective way of answering some often repeated questions --- the search function. As I said it is a tool which is used from time to time and is, IMO, not being abused or misused.

It's not a bad word and surely won't replace the discussions which we all contribute to, learn from and enjoy.