Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
montanajoe

can i go to LT305

hello,
I have a 20071/2 gmc sierra 2500 HD, LMM. going to need tires soon and was wondering if I would have any problems changing to a different size. the tires that came with the truck are, 265/70-17, I think a wider tire might give me a little more stability when I pull the trailer , so I was thinking going to a LT305/65/17.
I know I will get a little less gas mileage with the wider tire.give me some ideas guys, let me know what you think. thank you.
montanajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Quad

To Be honest I don't think you'll notice that much more support. I could be wrong! Lol but I don't think you will. It's a little over 1.5" wider and 1" taller than your stock/current size. I run 305/55-20 and love the looks of them! But the are the worst tires for balancing and vibrations. Not to mention they can become a set of ski's sometimes with wet roads unless you have weight on them. I think the balancing is do to the small side walls though. Mine are the same width as yours that you are wanting to go to and they do well with towing. Overall I say do it for the look you want and not the stability factor because I don't think you'd see any. Just my 2˘

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH
Old 01-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You're from New Jersey and with the snowfalls recently, I'd think the last thing you'd want on your truck is a wider tire to "ski" more than the stock size..... I wouldn't recommend wider tires as a way of reducing lateral movement in the rear suspension.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:11 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

HI I agree with John the wider tire will ski on the snow. all of us "old" guys that plow snow all ways use narrow tires, they dig in better. outside of looking nice I do not think you will see an improvement in stability. I have no idea what brand of tires your truck came with. But here is what I fhave experianced. My Dodge came with Goodrich tires they were ok for everyday use but in snow and towing they were really bad. when they wore out i switched to Michilen tires the ride and stability improved by leaps and bounds and they are wearing like iron. Good luck with what ever choice you make.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
Jim W

I am a member of TDR (Turbo Diesel Register. Com) and several members who tow for a living or tow heavy use a 19.5 inch tire diameter such as LT245/70R19.5. They claim that this helps with stability and towing heavy loads with the truck. Some trucks are DRW but run them as a SRW truck with the 19.5 inch tire load range G, SRW load of 4,540LBS per tire at 110 PSI.

See attached thread from TDR go to page two and scroll down to a picture of the truck and tire. You do not need to join to see this thread.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...election/page2

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote