Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2011, 05:11 AM   #1
joseph.feucht

Light Bulb Replacement Issue

In my Alpine 3500RE above the kitchen stove, there are two lights that work off a switch on the right. I removed the cover and removed the bulb and I have yet to get anyone to tell me what bulb, size, type it is. There are no markings on them. My local dealer can not supply or find the bulb type and I have contacted Keystone with no answers. Does anyone know of a parts manual or book I can get, buy, or even steal to find out various parts when I need them and I can't read the numbering etc on the part. Don't tell me to ask Keystone, I have done this several times to no avail. They are always willing to help, but it is like pulling teeth. Desperate for help--
joseph.feucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Terrydactile

Do you think those bulbs are unique to that fixture? If not maybe you could pull another cover off to see if you can read the bulb number. Maybe a picture could help someone here identify them.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

I am not aware of any "Parts Manuals" or other reference books that would list all of the various parts, like light bulbs, for RV's made by Keystone. If there were, I am quite certain that they would be on all of our wish lists for next Christmas!
For those of us who have nothing to do, it would make a great project - going through every inch of our RV's, finding and listing every part and part number and then putting it all together in a manual. A manual to be shared, at no cost, with all forum members.

( I think Ruffus might want to tackle something like this --- could be one of his "Life's Adventures"! Sorry, Jim)
Old 04-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #4
joseph.feucht

What a great idea. I will start the list for my make and model. I will try getting photo's of each part then uploading them as I just found out how to do that.
joseph.feucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Hey! I was just kidding! I hope you are too!
Old 04-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
DocData757

They are 35W 12V G6.35 bulbs...

http://www.amazon.com/pcs-NEW-Crispy...034239&sr=1-18
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
Handysam

OK Dave started it, page one...................................
Old 04-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #8
CRUZIN 2

Bulbs

We know what you are going through, we also have Alpine and tried every place you can imagine. We finally found a dealer here in south TX (McAllen) so we picked up half a dozen. The bulbs are 20 watt 12 volt parts #K259254 $2.30 ea. at RON HOOVER RV in Donna TX.

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
CRUZIN 2

Bulbs

joseph.feucht

Did you find bulbs for your rig, just checking to know if you did?

LARRY & LAVONNE HUMMEL
Full-Timer
GMC Sierra 3500 DRW D/A Denali 2011
ALPINE 2013 3535RE
CRUZIN 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #10
jje1960

Great Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
I am not aware of any "Parts Manuals" or other reference books that would list all of the various parts, like light bulbs, for RV's made by Keystone. If there were, I am quite certain that they would be on all of our wish lists for next Christmas!
For those of us who have nothing to do, it would make a great project - going through every inch of our RV's, finding and listing every part and part number and then putting it all together in a manual. A manual to be shared, at no cost, with all forum members.

( I think Ruffus might want to tackle something like this --- could be one of his "Life's Adventures"! Sorry, Jim)
Slipped again .....
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
rbjsaylo

Owner's Manual WOULD BE GREAT!

Just replying to the earlier discussion about an actual Owner's Manual that wasn't a generic 1 size fits all booklet. It would be great to know how to troubleshoot something specific rather than have a booklet full of generic towing/tire pressure facts.

I can appreciate that Keystone makes alot of models and while they do include the manuals for the appliances, etc., it would be nice to know how to troubleshoot or find the non-generic parts etc.
rbjsaylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #12
LittleReata

Light bulb replacement issue

I had to smile when I read Joseph's posting regarding finding the replacement bulbs....I have the somewhat of the same problem with the recessed lighting fixtures (2) over my stove etc in my Alpine 3555 rl, only my problem is the lights are out and I don't know how to access the bulbs to remove them. I have pulled the recessed light fixture down a few inches, thought there might be some sort of release to get to the bulb; tried to unscrew the covering but can do that either....any suggestions as to how to get to the bulbs would be helpful, and then I can work on the issue of finding the replacement bulbs....
LittleReata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 AM   #13
Robp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleReata View Post
I had to smile when I read Joseph's posting regarding finding the replacement bulbs....I have the somewhat of the same problem with the recessed lighting fixtures (2) over my stove etc in my Alpine 3555 rl, only my problem is the lights are out and I don't know how to access the bulbs to remove them. I have pulled the recessed light fixture down a few inches, thought there might be some sort of release to get to the bulb; tried to unscrew the covering but can do that either....any suggestions as to how to get to the bulbs would be helpful, and then I can work on the issue of finding the replacement bulbs....

If your recessed lights are like the Premier models- a flush fitting glass lens; you just have to slowly pull the glass downward to release. There are 3 little spring loaded nubs that hold the glass in place firmly; just pull hard at one 1 point but carefully. The P/N is not marked on the bulb anywhere, but is should say 20w or 10W molded into the glass base for the wattage. The automotive p/n should be JC20W G4 or JC10W G4. These are little halogen bulbs.
If you want to save energy, and keep that inverter fan from turning on every time you turn on the recessed lighting, convert them to LED. I replaced mine with these: http://www.miniinthebox.com/g4-5050-...od_description This site had the cheapest price I could find.
Robp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
trikerbob

Greasy little fingers

If these are, indeed, halogen bulbs, I might suggest wiping your fingerprints off the bulbs after you put them in, or maybe use a cloth or something to put them in. Other halogen bulbs suggest this as the oil from your fingers will make the bulb blow quicker. Just a thought.

See ya, Robert
trikerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #15
Birddog-Singer

I don't know if they are a national chain but in South Florida there are stores named "light bulbs unlimited". I have never taken anything to them that they couldn't identify and /or order for me if it wasn't already in Stock.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Birddog-Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

There's lots of talk about Keystone owner's manuals, lists of parts, and troubleshooting guides to help diagnose problems with RV's. Many posters have complained about the "generic" information found in the booklet.

In thinking back over the years, I don't recall ever getting an "owner's manual" or even an appliance manual in any of the apartments we rented, homes we bought (used) or homes we rented. The only time I ever got appliance manuals was when we built the home and the contractor saved all the "paperwork" for us. We got everything from yellow "Energy Saver" decals to "Caution" stickers as well as the plastic bags they came in. But even then, never have I had a contractor, architect or home designer give me a list of light bulbs needed, nor a diagram with which outlets were connected to a specific GFI . In fact, in almost every one, not even the circuit breakers were marked as to what circuit they protected.

Maybe Keystone looks at their products more as a "home" rather than a "vehicle" ??? The last two "owner's manuals" I got from Keystone, a 2011 issue and a 2014 issue, both seemed to be more of a "lawyer's guide to avoiding litigation" more than an "owner's manual" as found in a new vehicle.

I'd question whether Keystone even considers the need to provide the information on replacement fuses, bulbs, filters, etc found on new vehicles, but rather looks at their "owner's manual" as more a guide for generalized use or better yet, a guide to not getting in trouble during initial use. The only manufacturer I know of that does include all of that data is Airstream, and their current manuals are not nearly as detailed as their manuals from the 60's and 70's. Today's Airstream Owner's manual lists all the components used in all the models and leaves it up to the owner to determine what's in their trailer. They do list all the bulbs, but then "condition" the list by saying, "Production run changes may include components not found in this list. Please refer to the operating guides found in your owner's packet for further information."

Just my thoughts, yours may vary.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
rjymatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph.feucht View Post
In my Alpine 3500RE above the kitchen stove, there are two lights that work off a switch on the right. I removed the cover and removed the bulb and I have yet to get anyone to tell me what bulb, size, type it is. There are no markings on them. My local dealer can not supply or find the bulb type and I have contacted Keystone with no answers. Does anyone know of a parts manual or book I can get, buy, or even steal to find out various parts when I need them and I can't read the numbering etc on the part. Don't tell me to ask Keystone, I have done this several times to no avail. They are always willing to help, but it is like pulling teeth. Desperate for help--
You can buy these bulbs at any auto parts store or on ebay.
rjymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #18
gwperkins

Joseph,

I, too, am on a search for replacement bulbs for our '12 Alpine. Here's a link to some "G4" LED replacement bulbs ... http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/l...pe,JC,30,3874:.

Happy shopping.

Glenn
gwperkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwperkins View Post
Joseph,

I, too, am on a search for replacement bulbs for our '12 Alpine. Here's a link to some "G4" LED replacement bulbs ... http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/l...pe,JC,30,3874:.

Happy shopping.

Glenn
As you probably know, all LED's are currently manufactured in China or Maylasia. They are assembled there into "light assemblies" and shipped either packaged or unpackaged to distributors in the US and other countries.

Superbriteleds is one such company, I'm not sure if they repackage their LED's or if they are packaged at the assembly plant, but they are functionally identical to LED assemblies sold on EBay, Amazon, and a host of other "lower priced" websites.

The link you provided sells the 15LED (SMD3528) for $16.95. A "functionally equavilent" 18LED (SMD 5050) is available on EBay for $4.99 at this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-G4-18-50...item27c16b8645

Amazon also sells a "functionally identical" 15LED (SMD 3528) assembly for $6.99 at: http://www.amazon.com/LEDwholesalers...eywords=G4+led

While I certainly think SuperBright LED's are a good product, their pricing is extremely high when compared to comparable LED's from other manufacturers. There is "some difference" in LED's but when assembled into a "G-4 configuration" and packaged for resale, the "light bulb" is functionally identical. The only essential difference is the packaging and of course, the price.

You may want to do some comparisons before you invest too much money in the "high priced LED's, as they are available for much less at other sources.

I have no interest in any market for LED's (or any other RV product) and only post this information as a source of less expensive LED's with the hope that members can save a little money.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote