Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-10-2021, 03:00 PM   #1
markcee
Senior Member
 
markcee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Sun City West
Posts: 351
Dicor

I do not currently have any roof repair products so thought I would pick up a tube of both self-leveling and non-sag Dicor sealant to travel with.

A couple of questions:

  • I saw on the RV101 video on the Dicor site that they (of course) use a Dicor cleaner to prep the area. Do you guys use this, or do you use another product/concoction?
  • After using the prep product, the area is then cleaned with denatured alcohol on the video. Do you carry this in your RV, use something else, or use nothing at all?
  • Who also carries a roll of Eternabond when traveling? Necessary, or purchase if needed?


My concern with even buying these products (although it would give me piece of mind) is their longevity when traveling in a hot storage bay or truck toolbox.

Thoughts?
__________________
2020 Keystone Cougar '1/2 ton' TT, 29RLKWE
2019 F150 EB, Max Tow - TRADED
2019 F350, SRW, 6.2L, 4.30 gears
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #2
wiredgeorge
Senior Member
 
wiredgeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Mico, TX
Posts: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I do not currently have any roof repair products so thought I would pick up a tube of both self-leveling and non-sag Dicor sealant to travel with.

A couple of questions:

  • I saw on the RV101 video on the Dicor site that they (of course) use a Dicor cleaner to prep the area. Do you guys use this, or do you use another product/concoction?
  • After using the prep product, the area is then cleaned with denatured alcohol on the video. Do you carry this in your RV, use something else, or use nothing at all?
  • Who also carries a roll of Eternabond when traveling? Necessary, or purchase if needed?


My concern with even buying these products (although it would give me piece of mind) is their longevity when traveling in a hot storage bay or truck toolbox.

Thoughts?
I just use denatured alchohol prior to using either self leveling or leveling Dicor on my camper. I would rather use a piece of Gorilla tape in an emergency as the Eternabond is well... eternal and if you want to repair something correctly will be very very difficult to remove without doing more damage.
__________________
wiredgeorge Mico TX
2006 F350 CC 4WD 6.0L
2002 Keystone Cougar 278
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Middle River
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I do not currently have any roof repair products so thought I would pick up a tube of both self-leveling and non-sag Dicor sealant to travel with.

A couple of questions:

  • I saw on the RV101 video on the Dicor site that they (of course) use a Dicor cleaner to prep the area. Do you guys use this, or do you use another product/concoction?
  • After using the prep product, the area is then cleaned with denatured alcohol on the video. Do you carry this in your RV, use something else, or use nothing at all?
  • Who also carries a roll of Eternabond when traveling? Necessary, or purchase if needed?


My concern with even buying these products (although it would give me piece of mind) is their longevity when traveling in a hot storage bay or truck toolbox.

Thoughts?
After reading different posts on the forum I purchased dicor sealant and a roll of eternabond tape from Amazon..I got the cleaner as well.
I also bought a roll of scrim tape in case of a blowout and damage to underbelly
__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:06 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 12,161
Jasin I carry all the items you listed along with a lot more and I personally recommend doing so if you are going to be on the road a lot. Degradation over time might be an issue but my Eternabond roll is several years old and is still like new. I do keep it sealed up. As far as dicor I've never found a way to keep it, or any other tube of anything, good for any extended period of time after I cut the tip off. I just try to use as much as I can as soon as I can then throw it away and buy new tubes.

I also carry the scrim tape in addition to RV flex mend tape. With that I carry a a package of darco material (don't remember what it is called) maybe 4'x6'? in case I need to patch a section.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 13,929
If your in California, you can’t get denatured alcohol any more. I clean with “Fantastik” spray cleaner and then use dicor.
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
jasin1
Senior Member
 
jasin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Middle River
Posts: 1,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Jasin I carry all the items you listed along with a lot more and I personally recommend doing so if you are going to be on the road a lot. Degradation over time might be an issue but my Eternabond roll is several years old and is still like new. I do keep it sealed up. As far as dicor I've never found a way to keep it, or any other tube of anything, good for any extended period of time after I cut the tip off. I just try to use as much as I can as soon as I can then throw it away and buy new tubes.

I also carry the scrim tape in addition to RV flex mend tape. With that I carry a a package of darco material (don't remember what it is called) maybe 4'x6'? in case I need to patch a section.
I will get some of the darco material
__________________
2020 Cougar 315 RLS
2020 Ram 3500 6.7HO 4.10 Dually Aisin
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #7
markcee
Senior Member
 
markcee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Sun City West
Posts: 351
Thanks for the input gents....helpful as usual.
__________________
2020 Keystone Cougar '1/2 ton' TT, 29RLKWE
2019 F150 EB, Max Tow - TRADED
2019 F350, SRW, 6.2L, 4.30 gears
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:32 AM   #8
LHaven
Senior Member
 
LHaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Wickenburg
Posts: 1,666
The instructions I got were to clean only the old caulk with a rag dabbed in mineral spirits, and never touch it to the roof itself. Using the rag makes it quite easy to avoid the actual roofing. You can get mineral spirits anywhere on the road. When I have to patch the edge of the caulk at the roof material, which requires cleaning the roof material itself, dilute Simple Green with a water rinse is safe for that application. I don't do a two-step prep.

I carried a sample roll of Eternabond in my old rig. On a subzero morning in high Colorado, high winds slammed open one of my roof vents on which the strut had (unbeknown to us) disconnected itself. I ended up crawling on the roof in the freezing wind in order to tape the vent cover down to the rubber roof, figuring I would just cut the strip later. Although I did wash and wipe the dirt off both areas before applying the tape, I was quite disappointed at how easily it all lifted right off both the cover and the rubber roof, adhesive and all, when we got back home. Maybe it was the age of the roll, or the temperature at application. But I still carry a small roll for emergencies.
__________________
2019 Cougar 26RBSWE
2019 Ford F-250
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:31 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 12,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
The instructions I got were to clean only the old caulk with a rag dabbed in mineral spirits, and never touch it to the roof itself. Using the rag makes it quite easy to avoid the actual roofing. You can get mineral spirits anywhere on the road. When I have to patch the edge of the caulk at the roof material, which requires cleaning the roof material itself, dilute Simple Green with a water rinse is safe for that application. I don't do a two-step prep.

I carried a sample roll of Eternabond in my old rig. On a subzero morning in high Colorado, high winds slammed open one of my roof vents on which the strut had (unbeknown to us) disconnected itself. I ended up crawling on the roof in the freezing wind in order to tape the vent cover down to the rubber roof, figuring I would just cut the strip later. Although I did wash and wipe the dirt off both areas before applying the tape, I was quite disappointed at how easily it all lifted right off both the cover and the rubber roof, adhesive and all, when we got back home. Maybe it was the age of the roll, or the temperature at application. But I still carry a small roll for emergencies.

Probably was the temp. I believe it is supposed to be applied when the tape is room temp and in cold weather requires a primer. I've never had it want to lift off anything ....but I've only applied it in hot weather and rolled it.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 53 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:22 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 21,274
Here's the "Eternabond answer" to the "how long does it last" question:

How long does EternaBond® last?
Because EternaBond® is made using MicroSealant Technology®, depending on surrounding conditions, EternaBond® has an estimated life expectancy of 18-35 years if applied correctly. The "pre-activated" shelf life of EternaBond®, stored correctly, is 5 years!

So, it has a shelf life of 5 years (when properly stored) and I'm not sure that in the front bay of a fifth wheel, in a plastic tool box in the desert heat/desert cold is considered "ideal storage conditions"....

Once applied to the roof (if within the shelf life with proper storage) it should last 18-35 years.....

https://www.eternabond.com/articles.asp?id=206

With the difficulty in cleaning Eternabond off a EPDM or TPO roof membrane, I'm not sure I'd want to use "old Eternabond" on my trailer... I'm inclined to think that if I need some, the best action is to buy a new roll and apply it within a few days of purchase. I wouldn't feel "comfortable" digging out a roll that's been in the passthrough for 3 or 4 years and doing a repair on my roof with that "questionable microsealant technology"......
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.