Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
Firegod

Cover

We recently moved to Utah. We will be experiencing snow on our Cougar for the first time. Water pipes are drained.

Should we purchase a cover?

Thanks
Firegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

The use of covers has been discussed a bunch of times and the majority of responses say don’t do it. If you store it inside or under a shelter just use a good quality wax.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
ewbldavis

As nice as it would be to protect our unit from the UV and weather for the 6 months we don't use it, we have never covered. The covers to me will do more damage than good if not properly tightened up, and when I see them flapping in the wind I just don't want to do it - even when properly installed, they flap and rub.

Inspecting the roof is important anyway, so we inspect every spring, fall, and I will check on unit 2-3 times over the winter just to be sure.

Edit: did you add antifreeze? Remember outside shower/sink, or anything like that when you winterized?

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
levic900rr

I know I am the minority here but I've stored my trailer outside since I've owned one and I've always covered it. I've never had a single issue. I use the Classic Accessories PermaPro. I even cover mine during the camping season if I'm not going to use it for more than 3 weeks.
levic900rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by levic900rr View Post
I know I am the minority here but I've stored my trailer outside since I've owned one and I've always covered it. I've never had a single issue. I use the Classic Accessories PermaPro. I even cover mine during the camping season if I'm not going to use it for more than 3 weeks.
That would be very impractical for a long trailer or a tall fiver.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #6
Sarge2

On the majority advise on the forum NOT to cover mine last winter I did not cover it... No real issues other than it REALLY needed a bath by spring... This winter I'm in a new location and decided that I wanted to build a pole barn to store it... due to covid that did not happen... I decided to buy a cover and take a chance on it... I made sure to get a cover that looked as though it was really adjustable to secure tightly... then, made sure that anywhere there was any loose fitting areas, I secured them with tarp clips and some bungee cords... there isn't any material to flap in the wind so I'm hoping that this works out ok... the Classic Accessories Over Drive PolyPRO3 Deluxe Travel Trailer Cover or Toy Hauler Cover... it fits pretty good without any extra measures... but I made sure it was snug all around.. I used pool noodle pieces on the drip spouts and all the corners were it fit against an edge... Now we'll wait and see how it works out... I'll let everyone know how it goes along the way...
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegod View Post
We recently moved to Utah. We will be experiencing snow on our Cougar for the first time. Water pipes are drained.

Should we purchase a cover?

Thanks
I'm also in the minority regarding covers. I've always covered our previous TT and now the Cougar. The cover goes on when we winterize (November) and comes off as soon as ski season is over (April). Now on the 5th winter with our current cover and will likely need to replace it after this season. As stated, get one that fits your trailer. Snug it up so it doesn't flap in the wind. Finally do what you can to pad any sharp spots like the roof drain spouts corners etc.
My theory is anything you can do to minimize the wear and tear effects of weather and UV, helps protect your investment.
Here's a fellow that you might want to give a listen to:
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I'm also in the minority regarding covers. I've always covered our previous TT and now the Cougar. The cover goes on when we winterize (November) and comes off as soon as ski season is over (April). Now on the 5th winter with our current cover and will likely need to replace it after this season. As stated, get one that fits your trailer. Snug it up so it doesn't flap in the wind. Finally do what you can to pad any sharp spots like the roof drain spouts corners etc.
My theory is anything you can do to minimize the wear and tear effects of weather and UV, helps protect your investment.
Here's a fellow that you might want to give a listen to:

Brian....I love ya man, but Josh Haylett? About an RV cover? The same guy that he and his dad determined they wouldn't order anymore RVs with res fridges because they had to pull the slide to work on?? Anyway, to each his own...but Josh - and an ad for Adco???
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
Canonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brian....I love ya man, but Josh Haylett? About an RV cover? The same guy that he and his dad determined they wouldn't order anymore RVs with res fridges because they had to pull the slide to work on?? Anyway, to each his own...but Josh - and an ad for Adco???
OK he's a little out there but truth is I wouldn't have a res fridge either
I still think he makes a good case for using a cover.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:55 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

One word ... Salesman. 'Nuff said.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #11
Canonman

Brother Josh does own an RV dealership that sells new and used RV's and RV accessories. That's why I think he has some background to the OP's question. Josh is simply saying in his experience buying and selling used RV's, RV's that have been covered are in better cosmetic condition and command a higher trade-in and sales price. "Protect your investment". Yes, he does make a pitch for the cover he recommends, but he also describes how to measure your RV for the correct cover fit as well as describes some of the quality differences between cover grades. There is information here, along with the sales pitch.
I don't use the Adco cover, I think ours is a Camco. Actually the label is so faded I can't tell. I believe what Josh says is accurate from my experience. Protecting our Cougar from sun fading and the winter elements for 1/2 the year just makes sense to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Cottonwood Winter (1 of 1).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	569.9 KB
ID:	31005  
Old 12-03-2020, 08:41 AM   #12
ewbldavis

Agreed - there is an agenda for Josh to sell you a cover, but his content is generally on point and decent. He also is probably one of the only dealers that will tell you "you should get a bigger truck", so you have to respect that at least.

As far as trade-in, they don't give 2 craps if you covered. I never covered and demanded top dollar and got it. If you cared for your unit, it will show regardless and they're going to offer you pennies for it anyway. I only got top dollar because I refused to buy unless I got what I asked, and reminded them I bought 2 units previously. They still tried to force me to cave on new tires, until reminded them I told them it needed tires.

To each their own. I think honestly it's 50/50 on whether you cover or not and the pros/cons to both.

Eddy

2020 Cougar 32BHS
Old 12-03-2020, 09:59 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I don't know the man but what I do know is that in my 66 years on this earth I have yet to meet a salesman who has told me not to buy what they are selling. All the great info aside, I see it as pitching a product. All I'm saying is I don't take any salesman's testimonial as an unbiased opinion when they stand to profit from it.

Whether it's worth it to you or not is immaterial to me as I've had a cover, had it replaced under warranty and ended up giving it away as in my opinion it did more damage than good. The decades that I kept travel trailers in storage yards the vast majority of folks that used a cover the first year didn't after that. I'd see several covers in the dumpster in the spring. That's my experience, if you've had a different experience that's great.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:43 AM   #14
Sarge2

I was visiting a friend near Haylett RV in Coldwater MI when I first started to look for a TT.. my friend suggested that we NOT go there...we did and unfortunately I was directed to an extremely arrogant and ego centric sales person... you would have thought that he personally hand built the models he was showing me... I thought I had entered a furniture store by mistake... wouldn't listen to what we wanted and showed us what he thought we needed... after about a 3/4 hour I politely told him thanks, and we've changed our minds... he was not happy... he went and got what I figured was a deal closer... I politely told him why we had changed our mind and that I'd be headed to another dealer to check out what WE wanted.... I finally had to simply get up and walk away from the guy as he just wouldn't stop arguing about it and take no thanks for an answer...
So we purchased from General RV closer to home... not perfect but at least the guy took the time to listen and took us thru every model that had the features we were looking for....
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #15
ewbldavis

Sorry for the bad experience Sarge. Fly is right to an extent - salesmen are salesmen.

This is why we only by vehicles from one guy who we know outside of the dealership, and my cousin happens to now work at same dealership.

Eddy

2020 Cougar 32BHS
Old 12-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #16
travelin texans

Have traded RVs several times & yet to have any of dealer ask whether my trade-in was covered or not. None of the dealers even looked at my trade til the day I brought it in to pick up the new one. If you did tell the dealer it had been covered they'll just use that as a tool to increase the price by bragging "it's always been covered", but won't increase your trade value.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Have traded RVs several times & yet to have any of dealer ask whether my trade-in was covered or not. None of the dealers even looked at my trade til the day I brought it in to pick up the new one. If you did tell the dealer it had been covered they'll just use that as a tool to increase the price by bragging "it's always been covered", but won't increase your trade value.
Go to any RV show and discuss buying a new RV. The salesman will give you a trade value for your trailer "on the spot with no inspection". It doesn't matter to them whether you have kept it in "showroom condition" or whether the floor is soft in spots. As long as they can wholesale it for the value of your "payoff" they will make their profit on the new trailer sale.

Either way, there's little (if any) additional value added to your trade. Most are "sight unseen estimates" with no regard to the trade condition.

Buying an RV is not like buying a vehicle. There's no "intrinsic value" in an RV, beyond the "gravy if they're lucky"... In other words, they "bluebook your trade and make their profit off the new vehicle sale"..... Given the MSRP/wholesale margins in most RV's, the dealer can discount the new trailer 30% and still make a profit as long as your trade will bring wholesale at an auction. If it's "pristine" they'll keep it on the lot and add to their profit margin. If it's trash, it goes to auction.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:20 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

I will add that I have traded RVs several times and never been asked about a cover or how it was stored. On every occasion I was offered a what I call "blanket", cya number for the value. As John pointed out they want to be able to at least be a wash on the trade and make the money on the sale.

In this day and age with the internet and all the tools available to the dealer to determine the "value" of a given RV they know they can get close to the value that any other dealer will offer or auction will pay. The cover will mean nothing unless they have already low balled someone and they then add a few bucks because it was "covered" to sort of sweeten the deal - a number they would have given up anyway if pressed. And think of it another way; a trailer is taken in (numbers already determined) that has been covered and in pristine condition; another just like it is brought in that has never been covered and needs to be buffed and waxed. Now the cost to buff and wax that one trailer is about $400 say to make it look "pristine".....the same look as the one that has been covered. How much more do you think they are going to offer you? Possibly not the price of the cover in the first place much less all the hassle it is to use them. Just food for thought.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #19
dutchmensport

In the past, we covered, then we didn't, then we did, then we didn't.

Some things to consider: to cover or not to cover?

Will you be using your camper at all during the cold weather months? Reason asked? If you cover, you will have to uncover to use the camper. When there is ice and snow on top of the cover, you will have problems getting it off, rolling it up, and finding a place to put it so it can dry out.

If you cover and it's cold, and you plan on using the camper, it's simply horrible to go outside in cold weather to remove a sail from a ship. And if it's breezy at all, you're in for a real challenge. Putting them on in nice weather is not so bad. But in winter weather, cold, windy, snowy, icy, putting on and taking off is just miserable work.

So, if you plan on using a cover, make sure you have no plans on doing anything with that camper until weather breaks.

Next? Do have have to park the camper near trees where birds drop stuff and tree sap falls? If so, covering is a good thing. If you park in the open, covering is not so cruicial.

About UV sun exposure? over the last 25 years of RV ownership, I don't see any significant differences when a camper is uncovered in the Winter. The summer sun causes much, much more damage, and they are not covered in the Summer.

Third, if you have an alternative place to park your camper where you can put the camper under a roof, you don't need to cover, unless its like an open pole barn with bird nests in every corner. The cover may keep bird poo off your roof. But then you have a mess on that cover, and washing them down and finding a place to air them out is a big challenge also.

Consider these thoughts and see what you come up with.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:05 PM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

I know a lot of "don't cover because" advice has been given. I'll just add one thought to list that I haven't seen "covered" yet.

What are you going to do with the cover when it's not on the camper? Balling it up if it's at all damp will cause rot. Rolling it up and throwing it in the garage or shed will most likely end up with a cover filled with spider nests, ants, mice, or snakes (pick the nuisance vermin of your geography) making a new residence in it.

Just some more thoughts to consider. Having been a former boat owner for several decades in the past I'll tell you that shrink wrapping is the best IMO. The downfall beside the cost is the "all or nothing" approach. While an "access door" can be made it INMO it's not ideal.

Tags
cover