Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2020, 07:06 AM   #1
thatoneguy

New TV

Ok fine, I know I said you can upgrade a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton with enough money..... And I intended on doing that, but.... my tally was close to $10k to do it right maybe a tad more, and... well.. I changed my mind.

So I present you with my old TV, my new TV and my TT.

Trailer is 8600 dry, so i figured close to 10k loaded, 850#-1000# tongue weight..Max towing package on new TV , rated at around 18k lbs towing and 1800lbs payload if all my research is correct. So did I do ok or should I trade it for a freightliner?

Click image for larger version

Name:	received_722406938376702.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	30737Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1686853021495755.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	30738Click image for larger version

Name:	20201008_192334.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	30739Click image for larger version

Name:	20201008_192312.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	30740Click image for larger version

Name:	20190925_150404.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	30741
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
thatoneguy

edit my pay load maybe actually higher as i have the tow package in a tradesman , truck in shop being fixed or id confirm
Old 11-13-2020, 07:24 AM   #3
Mike&Sandy

Looks good to me (not as much as an expert as others on this site, lol). You'll have to post your mpg, I have a similar setup except for diesel and I'm getting 10-12 mpg based on speed. I'm finding that keeping it at 65mph gets 12, going to 70-75 drops to 10. Congrats on the nice setup.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #4
LewisB

Can't answer your question using just guesses on weights and capacities. Total towing capacity of truck is a nearly useless number/ payload will be specific to only your truck as manufactured. GVW rating on trailer is needed.

Take a photo of your tow vehicle payload sticker AND your trailer capacities sticker and provide the specs on both and I'm sure you will get responses. Also useful if you have actually weighed the unit in a "ready to camp" configuration.

That's a 35' long 10,500 pound trailer...I'm not nearly as confident as the prior poster on this "looking good"...
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #5
thatoneguy

Im not going to post my stickers for the weight **** lol truck is more than capable, im a professional driver/hotshotter but as stated, being a 6.4 gasser vs a diesel, fuel eco wont be all that good lol
Old 11-13-2020, 07:47 AM   #6
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Sandy View Post
Looks good to me (not as much as an expert as others on this site, lol). You'll have to post your mpg, I have a similar setup except for diesel and I'm getting 10-12 mpg based on speed. I'm finding that keeping it at 65mph gets 12, going to 70-75 drops to 10. Congrats on the nice setup.
What year is yours? my brother had a 17 cummins and with his tuner was getting closer to 16 mph towing.

i plan on tuning my truck via hp tuners, and intake, exhaust, etc so i should be able to pick up 1 or 2 mph when im done but ill keep you posted. I chose gas vs diesel as the truck needs bto double as a daily as i sold my corvette.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:50 AM   #7
thatoneguy

i will however scale everything and post results here
Old 11-13-2020, 07:53 AM   #8
travelin texans

As several of us stated previously you were never going to make a 1/2 ton a 3/4 regardless of the $10k or $100k, the door numbers would still indicate it's a 1/2 ton. There got that out of the way!!
As Brad pointed out the max tow of the new truck & the dry weight of your rv are totally useless numbers to you & everybody else. You'll exceed the truck payload long before you'll tow that much rv & you nor anyone else will ever have that rv, or any other, at it's dry weight once it arrived at the original selling dealership.
The numbers from your trucks door post & the GVW tag from your rv are the numbers you need to work with.
As for the new truck, it will definitely be better equipped for your rv, yet to be determined how much better.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post
...Trailer is 8600 dry, so i figured close to 10k loaded, 850#-1000# tongue weight..Max towing package on new TV , rated at around 18k lbs towing and 1800lbs payload if all my research is correct. So did I do ok or should I trade it for a freightliner?
Quote:
Im not going to post my stickers for the weight **** lol truck is more than capable, im a professional driver/hotshotter but as stated, being a 6.4 gasser vs a diesel, fuel eco wont be all that good lol
Quote:
i will however scale everything and post results here
So, you asked a question, purposefully refuse to provide needed information, ask us to depend on your [unrelated] experience, and then plan to tell us the the end results...sounds to me like you are just gaming the system. That's what is known as a "troll".
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #10
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
As several of us stated previously you were never going to make a 1/2 ton a 3/4 regardless of the $10k or $100k, the door numbers would still indicate it's a 1/2 ton. There got that out of the way!!
As Brad pointed out the max tow of the new truck & the dry weight of your rv are totally useless numbers to you & everybody else. You'll exceed the truck payload long before you'll tow that much rv & you nor anyone else will ever have that rv, or any other, at it's dry weight once it arrived at the original selling dealership.
The numbers from your trucks door post & the GVW tag from your rv are the numbers you need to work with.
As for the new truck, it will definitely be better equipped for your rv, yet to be determined how much better.
It was never an attempt for me to 'call ' a 1500 a 2500.. It was building it up to be safe and effective and i could always have had a sticker printed to say what ever i needed it to. Theres a 57 Ford f100 in my yard right now with a diff swap, full custom 4 link rear on coil overs with a mod motor from a late model crown vic , So not all of us think a set of air bags makes a 1/2 ton a 3/4 ton but i promise you can build a half ton to be better than a factory 1 ton if you really get ambitious.. Its just a cost vs practicallity.

Saying as much, I plan on weighing each axle so it takes guess work out of how much capacity i have left which on payload im guessing around 80% used. I don't think I'll need to go to a 1 ton until I go fiver though, which seeing what modern fivers weigh, im blown away at the weights.
Old 11-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #11
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
So, you asked a question, purposefully refuse to provide needed information, ask us to depend on your [unrelated] experience, and then plan to tell us the the end results...sounds to me like you are just gaming the system. That's what is known as a "troll".

not trolling mostly looking for other dodge owners to chime in i simply don't need an education on towing, i could teach a class on it. the freightliner quip i admit was sarcasm but it was meant in fun , have a blessed day
Old 11-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #12
Tom N OH

Quote:
What year is yours? my brother had a 17 cummins and with his tuner was getting closer to 16 mph towing.

i plan on tuning my truck via hp tuners, and intake, exhaust, etc so i should be able to pick up 1 or 2 mph when im done but ill keep you posted. I chose gas vs diesel as the truck needs bto double as a daily as i sold my corvette.
I don’t know about anyone else here but, if that Sheep wouldn’t go over 20mph, I’d take it back to the dealer.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #13
Mike&Sandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
I don’t know about anyone else here but, if that Sheep wouldn’t go over 20mph, I’d take it back to the dealer.
LOL!!! You guys are wild and crazy, lol.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 3.42
San Antonio, TX
Mike&Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:19 AM   #14
thatoneguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
lol sorry mpg!!
Old 11-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #15
thatoneguy

my unrealated experience lolClick image for larger version

Name:	20200225_173458.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	30742
Old 11-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
not trolling mostly looking for other dodge owners to chime in i simply don't need an education on towing, i could teach a class on it. the freightliner quip i admit was sarcasm but it was meant in fun , have a blessed day

We've had this conversation before without success. Asking questions but refusing to provide any information to be able to answer them, then telling everyone of your expertise in all things towing because you hot shot is, well, less than confidence inspiring.

Your decision to get a bigger truck was inevitable if you were to be safe...as we said you needed to. It's appreciated that you advised on the decision you made but the arrogance, without any demonstrated experience other than working in the oilfield, is very off putting and as a previous poster said - more like trolling.

As far as the truck; thinking it has a higher payload because it has the towing pkg....forget it, you lost it with that useless brush guard on the front that only adds weight (decreases payload) and cuts mpg. Tuners, new intake and exhaust will yield nothing to speak of on a newer engine - btdt. The one unmistakable thing it does is increase the cab noise greatly. When I was 20 all the noise may have been "cool" even if it wasn't of any benefit but I outgrew that.

The 6.4 is a great engine. I didn't catch what year the truck is but I've owned new ones since 2014. They have greatly improved them in just those few short years. Trying to do all the mods you suggest on a newer 6.4, which has been highly tuned to provide the best numbers along with longevity isn't the best approach IMO. It is however a good way to throw away money to say one made some mods to an engine. Heck, I'd give you that new K&N cold air intake sitting in my attic that I took off after 3 months but I leave it there to remind me of my mistake (and not to repeat it) every time I walk up in the attic.

Post back with those scale numbers - which obviously mean nothing since you won't post the numbers of the truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

Kind of leaves me sour when someone calls folks "weight ****” for trying to comment on truck safety when you, as the OP, brought it up. To claim vast experience and then say that this experience lets you void the laws or safety... well good luck. Hide that payload placard as that might keep you from looking like a... well guess I will just let it pass.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

I've got this cool picture but I'm not driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flight-sky-earth-space.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	30743  
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
forget it, you lost it with that useless brush guard on the front that only adds weight (decreases payload) and cuts mpg.

Danny, now here we have to disagree. We live in an area infested with very dumb little deer critters and the brush guard isn't really useless as they attempt to commit suicide every evening at dusk in front of every moving vehicle. A brush guard would be better termed a "CRITTER GUARD". We have lots of pigs running the roads as well.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:46 AM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Danny, now here we have to disagree. We live in an area infested with very dumb little deer critters and the brush guard isn't really useless as they attempt to commit suicide every evening at dusk in front of every moving vehicle. A brush guard would be better termed a "CRITTER GUARD". We have lots of pigs running the roads as well.

George, you are right. I used to have one on my trucks when I was "out in the brush" a lot and had one on my SUV when we lived in the Hill Country for the chance encounter with one of those little deer. I was speaking from a towing/payload mindset. Few to no deer in W TX and the cotton plants don't get up high enough for a brush guard
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote