Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
Camping family

Tires

Purchased a new 5 th wheel in signature. Have been reading about tires because all I have herd is the tires that come with the new campers are nothing but China bombs. So been researching and found the top 10 tires trailer king is in the top. My 2020 keystone cougar 29 rks came with Trailer king rst
St225/74r15 e
Load range E. So I’m guessing I got some decent tires with my rig.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
Robins101

Hey. Had a trailer king pop with less than 500 miles on them. Looked like it developed a sidewall bubble. The spare and other 3 made it another 1200, going to change them out ove next month.
Robins101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping family View Post
Purchased a new 5 th wheel in signature. Have been reading about tires because all I have herd is the tires that come with the new campers are nothing but China bombs. So been researching and found the top 10 tires trailer king is in the top. My 2020 keystone cougar 29 rks came with Trailer king rst
St225/74r15 e

All tires look great until they pop. TKs just have a propensity to do that. Your trailer is a 1/2 ton Cougar with gvw of 10,400. The new RVIA standards for increased tire capacities is advantageous and will help your TKs although I'm not aware of any improved tire making processes in the Shandong province. I trust you are running the tires at 80psi.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
ChuckS

Actually the TK tire... IMO is the absolute worst brand of RV tire built. The number of failures across numerous RV groups is probably the highest amongst all RV tires out there...

I yanked a brand new set off my RV after first 500 miles...

That said ... since the new RST series of TK is what your running maybe they will perform better... only time will tell...

And they won’t last at all if you tow over 65 mph....

http://www.trailerkingtires.com/tire...g-product-line

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Camping family

While guess time will tell. As for speed limit normally don’t drive fast then 55-60 at the most. I’m in no hurry have seen what speed can do. 35 years as an LEO now retired.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #6
notanlines

Your story is very familiar to all who frequent RV forums. Want me to tell you about our $9K damage from TWO blowout with the 'fabulous' Trailer Kings? They are the most popular because they are the most used on the RV's out of the factory. They are trash, believe me. You'll probably keep 'em because you don't believe what you read on these sites and you want to keep that $400 you'll spend on new tires close to your chest, but NOT ONE MODERATOR ON THIS SITE would trust their rig to Trailer Kings.
A word to the wise is sufficient.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #7
Camping family

Okay so what is the best tire to buy? How does someone decide which is best?
Old 11-01-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Okay so what is the best tire to buy? How does someone decide which is best?

You could start by looking at the approximately 2 zillion threads on tires and not one has a positive thing to say about TK tires. All will point you to Carlisle and GY Endurance in LRE in your size. There may be other great tires out there but they have few proponents due to few people using them. I have Carlisle Radial HT Trail tires on my camper and have had quite a few sets on quite a few trailers with no failures to date. The GY Endurance entered the market and have a similarly good rep. Do some search. Oh yeah, the TIRES forum would be a start.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

My trailer King tires after about 3000 miles. IMPOSSIBLE to detect the tread separation without dismounting the tires. Fortunately we had a 4 month trip planned and new tires were on the list before we departed. Even more fortunate, we got rid of the TK's before they actually did "explode and destroy our wheelwells".... Will you be as lucky as I was ???? Who knows, but I'm not going to ever gamble with TK's again.

Take a look for yourself. Are your tires doing what mine did? The only way to tell is to take them off and look at the inside.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	30608   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	30609   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	30610   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	30611   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	30612  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #10
jasin1

I’m leaning towards replacing mine. Should I go with a g rated tire? Also for op I would at the very least get a tpms system. After reading the posts I was really nervous but feel a little better being able to monitor them. Will be replacing mine soon I guess
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #11
tech740

So trailer king has a bad name based on complaints. I do not like them. That aside, I would wager that there are more TK tires on RV currently than any other manufacturer. In my mind that means more complaints. It may be directly proportional to the amount of say Carlisle, Goodyear, Maxxis, Sailun tires to complaints ratios. The big thing that I have taken away from the tire talks on here is TK tires were engineered to just meet requirements and the manufacturer used them at the top of there load limits. Other tires seem to be able to support more that the specified load although not recommended. The new capacity reserves may actually level the playing field some. The RST tire has a 85mph speed rating (at least the Load Range F tire does). With the capacity reserve I would expect better performance because the tire is not operated at the edge of what it can do.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
So trailer king has a bad name based on complaints. I do not like them. That aside, I would wager that there are more TK tires on RV currently than any other manufacturer. In my mind that means more complaints. It may be directly proportional to the amount of say Carlisle, Goodyear, Maxxis, Sailun tires to complaints ratios. The big thing that I have taken away from the tire talks on here is TK tires were engineered to just meet requirements and the manufacturer used them at the top of there load limits. Other tires seem to be able to support more that the specified load although not recommended. The new capacity reserves may actually level the playing field some. The RST tire has a 85mph speed rating (at least the Load Range F tire does). With the capacity reserve I would expect better performance because the tire is not operated at the edge of what it can do.

I'm not a tire expert but in the time I was trying to ascertain "why" TKs were so bad and "why" mine blew apart for no reason causing 7k in damages I came to some conclusions; one was overloading by design by the manufacturer, but, after digging into manufacturing plants, Chinese construction methods and then, most importantly, the oversight/involvement of the particular company peddling said tires, it became apparent to me that TK was sorely lacking in quality and oversight of manufacturing methods. It does seem they are trying to do some stuff to try to rebuild confidence in their product but "better sidewalls", "increased scuff guards" etc. mean nothing unless someone is actually assuring that the product coming out at the end of the pipeline is quality - IMO that is yet to be seen.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #13
jasin1

Not to change subject but do BAL tire xchocks cause any undo stress on tires?
Old 11-01-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Not IMO. Used them for years and have 2 sets of them sitting in my barn.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:42 PM   #15
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Not IMO. Used them for years and have 2 sets of them sitting in my barn.
Ok thanks I worry about cranking to hard on them
Old 11-01-2020, 08:44 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
I’m leaning towards replacing mine. Should I go with a g rated tire? Also for op I would at the very least get a tpms system. After reading the posts I was really nervous but feel a little better being able to monitor them. Will be replacing mine soon I guess

The tire diameter on your rig plays a big part in which tire you will be able to use on the OEM rims. The OP has 15" rims and there are certain choices that fit 15" rims. To make more sense of your statements, go up to the UserCP at the top left of the page in the black bar and click on it. Go the the signature function and add a signature with your year/make/model of your camper and tow vehicle so your statements or questions have some context. Just a suggestion.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:11 AM   #17
CWtheMan

Quote:
St225/74r15 e
Your OEM tires provide 1130# of load capacity at 80 PSI to support 8800# maximum axle loads. There are no assurances another brand will be more durable, especially if based on antidotal information.

In the past, RV trailer tires hardly ever had more than 5 - 10% in load capacity reserves, hence the failure rates were higher than replacement tires with 15 - 20% in load capacity reserves.

I see absolutely no reason at all to replace new OEM tires that are more than just adequate.

I never mention the name brand of tires I used for years because the were always unpopular. For me, they worked just fine.

I don't care what brand tires are used because if they are abused they will fail.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:59 AM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The tire diameter on your rig plays a big part in which tire you will be able to use on the OEM rims. The OP has 15" rims and there are certain choices that fit 15" rims. To make more sense of your statements, go up to the UserCP at the top left of the page in the black bar and click on it. Go the the signature function and add a signature with your year/make/model of your camper and tow vehicle so your statements or questions have some context. Just a suggestion.
Make more sense of my statements? Kind of a snarky response. That’s why I’ve stayed away from social media and online posting in general. Some of the threads are very helpful and I’ve been getting a lot out of them. Other ones feel like a small group of guys only talking to each another and not very welcoming of anyone else. Maybe I’m missing something but wouldn’t it be better to not pubically try and put someone down for making a mistake? My very first post was met with a similar condenscending response. Any organization needs new members to keep things going as older members leave or stop participating..... maybe private messages to new members instead of public chastising would ensure the organization as a whole has a sustainable future. .......just a suggestion
Old 11-02-2020, 05:03 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjasin1 View Post
Make more sense of my statements? Kind of a snarky response. That’s why I’ve stayed away from social media and online posting in general. Some of the threads are very helpful and I’ve been getting a lot out of them. Other ones feel like a small group of guys only talking to each another and not very welcoming of anyone else. Maybe I’m missing something but wouldn’t it be better to not pubically try and put someone down for making a mistake? My very first post was met with a similar condenscending response. Any organization needs new members to keep things going as older members leave or stop participating..... maybe private messages to new members instead of public chastising would ensure the organization as a whole has a sustainable future. .......just a suggestion

You jumped into the thread asking about tires for your rig. Without context, would you expect someone to rattle off which tires are a good fit for your camper? The make/model of your camper will determine which size wheels are used and since you chose not to provide that info, any answers might be useless. Good luck.
Old 11-02-2020, 06:05 AM   #20
notanlines

Brian, if you frequented any number of other forums you would find that this particular one is quite friendly, plus very, very informative. George simply made a statement, being neither overly 'snarky' nor overly friendly. Simply passed on a little good information.
As a fairly long time member, I kind of like a little snarky now and again. It helps get a rise out of some members, and keeps some interest in what could be a somewhat boring site.
Don't give up on the site just because you feel like you may have been slighted. There is good info to be had here and yes, we always DO need new members. Plus, you're from 'Little America," as the state of Maryland is known. A moderator, Flybouy, is also from Maryland and we even get snarky with him!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires