Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #1
frank r

Water damage covered under warranty?

In September 2019 we bought a new 2020 Passport 2920BH. Recently, we have found water running on the floor in the bathroom and running out from under the refrigerator during periods of medium or heavier rains. We also have a fairly significant soft spot developing at the front door. This is our first brand-new trailer and to say that we are disappointed would be a huge understatement.

My questions are these:
1. Would this be covered under Keystone’s 3-year structural warranty?
2. If this was repaired under warranty, would this flag our trailer as damaged and negatively impact trade-in value? To be honest, whether or not this trailer gets repaired, I’ll be trading it in.

I appreciate any input/feedback. Thank you.
frank r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:56 AM   #2
Roscommon48

probably won't be covered BUT, you can push it and they may cover it. get it to a dealer who will push it and you need to start talking to keystone direct to push the warrany issue.

your insurance may cover it depending on your coverage.

I would not concern myself on the second part, trailers get repaired all of the time and there is no tracking. just get it repaired.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
travelin texans

On question #2, you lost 40-50% the moment the rear bumper crossed the end of the driveway leaving the dealership, but you're not alone. RVs depreciate very quickly.
Even though get it repaired or trade it off.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:16 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

I think, not sure, but think it's like any vehichle in that if the insurance company declares it a "total loss" and pays out then the insurance company would in fact be purchasing the trailer and issuing a salvage title. Other than that there is no reporting structure like motor vehichles to track or report damage. Not all motor vehichle repair shops report repairs opr body work either. I've had body damage repaired on cars that never showed up on a car fax.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:23 PM   #5
gearhead

I think I would talk to the insurance company. Repair and keep it if the adjuster doesn't total it. You would only be out the deductible. Do you have GAP insurance? If you trade it in on another RV you will lose a ton.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #6
Customer1

In order for it to be covered under warranty the dealer would need to determine it was caused by a factory defect which is very unlikely. Typically water leaks are ruled out as a lack of maintenance.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:26 AM   #7
jlc

I would go ahead and take this to the dealer as soon as possible for the inspection process. There is a good chance Keystone may cover this under warranty if handled properly. Good luck!
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
ewbldavis

Truly sad thing - lack of maintenance when it probably leaked from day one.

Possible insurance may say "lack of maintenance", so as an end user, you're basically screwed. And trade-in will suck regardless, so not a viable option.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Go to the dealer, plead your case. Call Keystone, plead your case. The worst they can do is ay no.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Aren't there other threads where Passports have been taken back to the factory for repairs. The process is long and tedious but Keystone has decided to fix these trailers on their dime. Not sure why they leaked like a sieve to begin with but that would really be the most interesting aspect of these Passport issues. Fixing the floor but NOT the cause of the water damage wouldn't make much sense.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:34 AM   #11
Bdep1954

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank r View Post
In September 2019 we bought a new 2020 Passport 2920BH. Recently, we have found water running on the floor in the bathroom and running out from under the refrigerator during periods of medium or heavier rains. We also have a fairly significant soft spot developing at the front door. This is our first brand-new trailer and to say that we are disappointed would be a huge understatement.

My questions are these:
1. Would this be covered under Keystone’s 3-year structural warranty?
2. If this was repaired under warranty, would this flag our trailer as damaged and negatively impact trade-in value? To be honest, whether or not this trailer gets repaired, I’ll be trading it in.

I appreciate any input/feedback. Thank you.
As many others have said the best bet is to go back to the dealership you purchased from and have them work with Keystone on your behalf.
We never saw any water leaking but did find a soft spot developing beside the bed and so we went back to the dealership.
Keystone agreed that it would be covered under warranty and so they came and picked up the trailer and took it back to the factory to put in a new floor. We have friends that also went the same route through the dealership and had the same result.
Bdep1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #12
jimbob

Repairs to new Keystone Fuzion

I spent over a month repairing, rebuilding way too many things on my brand new Keystone Fuzion ToyHauler. From water lines leaking everywhere, shower enclosure leaking on floor, D-rings that should hold down my two Polaris quads, well the screws holding them down were rusted off at the heads. Found these the first day when vacuumed the garage floor..sucked up 5 heads out of 18. Speakers were barely held to the ceiling with just the trim screws. Supply ducting full of just about everything that could be swept into it. The supply duct to the garage was smashed flat between the floor and frame. When I repaired that little deal, I also removed about 7' of extra ducting, it was just wadded up under the cabinet. The 100 gallon water tank was just about to fall out the bottom after just one trip. It was our maiden voyage. So I removed the tank, rebuilt the tank supports and added a 3" I-beam under the factory supports. Ceiling fan fell off the ceiling, again no backing above the ceiling, just more 2" screws through 1/8" ceiling panel. Oh and I discovered the rear a/c unit had been installed wrong. They did discover the little problem after I informed the factory of this screw-up...they came out with a "Service Bulletin".
That was 10 years ago...seems like yesterday. There were many more issues with my brand new, had to be rebuilt ToyHauler, but this should give you a little heads up. Check everything...and if you know how things should be done correctly, just about everything you check will have been installed like crap.
Now totally rebuilt, I love my 2010 Fuzion 302.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:47 PM   #13
Beemer Phil

We own a 2018 2920BH and found water intrusion under our bathroom vanity. Thinking it may have been loose plumbing connections, all were checked and found to be loose. All hand tightened and could not see any leaks. Next time out camping we arrive back home and find toilet paper and other supplies soaked. Long story, short what we found was the connections for the black tank flush runs through the vanity. That connection was leaking when we flushed the black tank. Tightened and checked all fittings including the anti siphon valve. Also Pulled back the floor covering to insure the floor was dry. So far no other issues. Regarding the other threads which talk about factory floor replacements I would be Leary of the factory clipping all the electrical and plumbing lines and lifting the entire coach. Sounds like there were a lot of complaints with this “repair”. Overall the trailers look great at the dealers but quality control appears to be minimal at best.
Beemer Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, damage, warranty, water, water damage