Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #1
Bill-2020

Lippert/Solera Gas Strut End Fitting Failure

While cleaning the awning this past weekend I noticed that the lower end of the right side gas strut (or gas spring) has failed. The two pieces actually ended up down inside the square tube that is used to adjust the angle of the awning. Amazingly, the end of the gas strut pushed straight right down on the shaft it was connected to when this failure occured. (see pictures of good side, bad side and pieces, and strut mfgr.). Looking online I wasn't able to find an end fitting that matched so I just purchased an entire strut assembly for about $28 that comes with the fittings already attached. I'll just remove what I need from the new one and screw it on the existing strut and call it repaired. I guess then I'll have a replacement strut if one fails or if the other end fitting fails also.

My question is, has anyone else seen this type of failure, and if you found replacement fittings, where did you find them? I've searched high and low and the only ones that I have found are not the correct size combinations. The thread is a M8 and the diameter of the shaft hole, or eye, is 10mm. I can only find M8's with 8mm holes. There is not enough material on those to open up that diameter to 10mm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3387.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	28674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3391.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	28675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3388.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	28676  
Bill-2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:07 AM   #2
LewisB

Quote:
Bill-2020: My question is, has anyone else seen this type of failure, and if you found replacement fittings, where did you find them? I've searched high and low and the only ones that I have found are not the correct size combinations.
We had a similar type of failure on the gas struts for our Morryde Step Above. I was unable to find replacement strut parts. Called Morryde and they mailed me a replacement at no cost! Nice - but I'm not sure what to do the next time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	28679
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Bill,

If you can't find the 8mm rod thread/10mm attachment thread end fittings, why not use the 8mm/8mm end fittings and just insert a 8mm helicoil in the attachment arm of the awning? It would "fill the 10mm hole" reducing it to 8mm and the new end fittings "should bolt right up"

ADDED: If you don't have a machine shop or machining experience, it may be simpler to just press in a couple of 10mm:8mm bearing sleeves. Insert one in each of the "awning arm holes" and use an 8mm shaft to secure the new 8mm end fittings. Don't toss your old hardware because when the gas strut finally gives up, you'll probably wind up with the OEM hardware again and all you'll need to do is push out the bearing sleeves and go back to OEM configuration. https://www.krypticproscooters.com/s...CABEgIn6PD_BwE

SECOND ADD: I think these are what you're looking for. The inside hole is 0.41" which is 10.4mm, https://www.mcmaster.com/6465K27/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:57 AM   #4
travelin texans

I have some of those ends somewhere, replaced the struts on my last 5er awning & they came with the ends, I took them off & threaded the new struts into the old ends. Unfortunately I'm in Arizona, you're in Florida.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #5
Bill-2020

Thanks for the details.

I will call Lippert and see what they say about a direct replacement under warranty. Good idea. All they can say is No. I still have a replacement strut coming in a day or two from Amazon, but I’d like to have a few more on hand. If this happened once, it’ll happen again. Murphy...

John, that helicoil is a great idea, I wasn’t thinking about those and I believe we may may some metric sizes in the shop. However, your second edit with the McMaster item looks like it’s a near dead ringer. I’ll take some length measurements of the old one first, but if it’s a tad long, that can be modified I’m sure. I looked at McMaster, Grainger, MSC and a local hardware distributor the other evening but I didn’t see what you found. Thanks for this. Not a bad price either.

Danny- yep, we’re a bit more than a stone’s throw away. Still just as hot in either area (and maybe as humid depending on where in AZ!). Well, I remember temps at 114 in Tucson when I lived there for a short while over 30 years ago. So, maybe not as hot here now that I remember that one summer. But it sure feels it sometimes.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #6
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
... I took them off & threaded the new struts into the old ends...
Does this mean the other end is a left-hand thread?

Edit: this vision of spinning the strut like a turnbuckle went through my mind.

2nd edit: scratch that left-hand thread question, I don’t see any left-hand threaded ends.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:49 AM   #7
Stealthsr9

Gas strut eyelet failure

I have the same issue with the Solera awning on my 2021 Bullet 330BHS. I just ordered what seems to be an exact replacement from etrailer.com. Will let everyone know how it works out. My camper is still under warranty but it would cost me more than the $21 I spent on the parts with rush shipping to get it to the dealer. Not to mention the lost camping time.
Stealthsr9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas