Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
Janetw8

Stove / oven won't light without other appliances running

2016 model Dometic Wedgewood Vision stove. Original owner. Recently our stove/oven stopped lighting. Tried both striker and match. Tried bleeding the line. There is no gas smell or hissing sound when trying to light. Furnace, water heater and fridge all have propane capabilities and work fine. We are currently in an RV site with full hookups and are primarily using electricity for fridge and water heater. Furnace occasionally. The weird situation here is that IF any of the other propane appliances are running and drawing gas, the stove and oven light perfectly. If no other gas appliances are going, it doesn't light.
There is a small gas regulator visable in the gas line on the stove as well as the main regulator with pigtails going from the 2 main tanks outside.

**Update. Replaced the regulator and pigtails at the tanks per suggestions and that solved the problem!
Janetw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Did you change/refill the cylinders recently? I really don’t have an answer, but I would turn off both cylinders. Remove the pigtails from the cylinders and “air them out” for 30 seconds. Then reattach, open the cylinders VERY slowly for the first 1/2 turn and see what happens.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Janetw8

Thank you chuckster57. I turned off the gas, disconnected the pigtails from the cylinders and let it sit for a couple of hours. Reconnected the pigtails. Slowly turned the gas back on the designated tank. Tried to light the stove and it worked perfectly. Tried to light it again an hour later and it would not light. Same no gas smell,no sound. Tried several more times over the next 4 hours. Later this evening the furnace kicked on so I tried to light the stove again while the furnace was running. This time it would light. There seems to be correlation between stove lighting when only when another appliance is running.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:33 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s a mystery to me. Might change the regulator at the cylinders.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:22 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Is your stove in a kitchen slide out?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:22 AM   #6
Janetw8

I think it is considered a slide out. Dometic Wedgewood Visions. Three burners. Knobs are in front.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:30 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Janet,

You list your RV in your profile as "2016 Cougar" with no reference to the model, so members can't look at your floorplan to determine if the location of the appliances might be contributing to the problem. If your stove is in a "slide out room" (the part of the trailer that moves in and out to give more space) there is a flexible hose under the trailer to supply gas/water/electrical power) when the slide is positioned in its extended position.

If that hose "kinks" in the out position, the propane supply would be altered or stopped. That might be your problem. Marshall/s question referred to the location of the stove in the trailer: Is your stove in a slide ??

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:33 AM   #8
Janetw8

The stove is not on a slideout.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

If the stove propane supply is not "intermittently blocked" by a crimped hose (as in a slide configuration) then all that's left is the regulator and/or tank line.

I'd first switch to the other bottle (to eliminate the safety shutoff in the tank line) and verify that the stove will not light with EITHER propane tank or EITHER propane tank hose. If the problem remains with either tank, then all that's left is the propane regulator.

Possibly, the regulator has a sticking/malfunctioning diaphragm and it simply won't open until there's a "large demand for propane" (such as when the water heater or furnace are running). In that situation, the diaphragm would not open for the very small (in comparison) demand for propane flow caused by a single burner on the stove.

If your regulator is a "auto changeover" regulator, try turning the knob from tank to tank several times. That might clear the valving system if it might not be fully switching from one tank to the other. Otherwise, I'd suspect you've got a bad regulator.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:01 AM   #10
Janetw8

I appreciate everyone's input. I am going to replace the regulator on the tanks. I will report back if that solves it.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Janet, just a suggestion, it would be a good idea if you put some info on your trailer and tow vehicle in your signature line. That way when you ask questions it will eliminate a lot of the "back and forth" posting to get the information for folks that want to help. Take a look at most of the posts and you can see plenty of examples.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #12
notanlines

Janet, I also recommend the new regulator, and don't spare the money in buying one. Cheap regulators end up nothing but trouble.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #13
Janetw8

Replaced the propane regulator and pigtails at the tanks. The stove lights now. Thanks everyone.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:41 AM   #14
MarkEHansen

Thanks for reporting back. I was watching to see what the solution would be.

Tags
light