Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #1
Bill2e

Angry #$%& - I am so mad right now with my NEW 27 SAB

Really mad a CAMPING WORLD

Purchased new 7/2019

Took the camper to set up at a site and notice a hole in the roof. It had tape over it and I missed it on inspection.

Camping World stepped up and fixed the issue.

Here where the fun begins.

They had the camper from August to November to finally complete the repair. They still didn't complete a simple issue and lied about it, but I resolved with the manufacture (who has been great)

End of June 2020 I had 3 minor issues.
  • Awning light went out
    Toilet seal was leaking
    Awning was leaking

Back to Camping World all to be fixed under warranty

Well the service tech left the company and my camper was in no mans land. Some time in August a new person took over and got my issues fixed.

Picked up 8/29/2020 the week before labor day

Go camping on Labor Day and notice the seals around the roof are cracked and look like hell.

I call CW and they say bring it in, but it may be Dicor and a maintenance item.

Go camping last weekend - It rained - awning still leaks - Called the “If you’re not happy, I’m not happy.” Camping World number to contact Marcus.

They gave me a case number, but no one has contacted me yet.

Took the camper back to CW Monday to my last service tech - super nice person, but today I got the call.......

"You awning still leaks because we didn't actually fix it, but we will......"

"And the cracked DICOR - That is a maintenance item - $640 to fix."

I keep my camper in covered storage - this is complete BS!!! Rant over, Thanks!
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

I think the Dicor issue is an owner maintenance issue. Buy a couple tubes of self leveling Dicor and correct any places that are in need of resealing; you will need a caulk gun. I believe you are supposed to inspect the roof every three months or so and touch up the cracks in the Dicor as needed as part of owner maintenance. I do find $640 kind of crazy since this chore takes less than an hour for any camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
Bill2e

I agree - I'll do it myself, but to keep my camper for 6 months while I'm paying for covered storage and not even fix the issue it was in there for TWICE.

Ridiculous

Also should this even be an issue on a roof under a year old?
Old 10-09-2020, 12:34 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
I agree - I'll do it myself, but to keep my camper for 6 months while I'm paying for covered storage and not even fix the issue it was in there for TWICE.

Ridiculous

Also should this even be an issue on a roof under a year old?

Have you looked at the documentation you received with your camper. It has to be done in the first year of ownership else any damage caused by water might void your warranty. New owners are usually surprised by the fact that the roof must be maintained from the start of their ownership. I guess folks feel a new roof doesn't need any care but that camper might have been built a year prior to sale and after another year, the Dicor sealant may be cracking or may not have been installed correctly when the trailer was initially manufactured. Look along the sides where the rubber roof material meets the sidewalls and along the rear seam and front cap seam. Check around all penetrations; vents, covers, etc. Your roof should be in decent shape but it appears you haven't examined these places and you should.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Bill2e

I understand the roof needs maintenance - No issue there.

A new roof was put on by Camping World late in 2019.

I keep my camper under covered storage.

They have had my camper twice for 3 months and both times the did not fix all the issues.

They have lied, and done spotty work.

That's what has me upset, not that the roof dicor needs maintained.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:28 PM   #6
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
New owners are usually surprised by the fact that the roof must be maintained from the start of their ownership. I guess folks feel a new roof doesn't need any care but that camper might have been built a year prior to sale and after another year, the Dicor sealant may be cracking or may not have been installed correctly when the trailer was initially manufactured.
Yeah, on my rig, after I found bright yellow varnish stains on the bedsheet, it was clear that there were a number of voids on the roof that had never seen caulk. Big revelation to me.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
Northofu1

Buy used, assume you have to change tires, shackles, brakes, mattress. Then assume you need to seal everything with dicor or pro flex. Base your offer price to include these parts. Tell them to stuff the extended warranty where the sun doesn't shine and assume most items you would have to bring it back for is going to be on you with some lame excuse from them. At that point you know where you'll stand. I would even try to haggle 1/2 the price of a Roof Armour replacement. If you have to walk away it wasn't meant to be.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #8
purebred

Totally understand your frustrations. The only thing I can add from experience is like wiredgeorge said is to inspect and fix your roof as needed. I didn't get on top of my roof for the PDI inspection. Within 6mos I found a leak on our slide where the screws were not covered with dicor. Also my manual states to inspect roof every 90 days. Very frustrating but with the quality control of RV manufacturers and unscrupulous dealers you have to stay on top of it. Sorry for your problems.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I understand the roof needs maintenance - No issue there.

A new roof was put on by Camping World late in 2019.

I keep my camper under covered storage.

They have had my camper twice for 3 months and both times the did not fix all the issues.

They have lied, and done spotty work.

That's what has me upset, not that the roof dicor needs maintained.

Gothcha! The $640 Dicor-fest would have had me steaming!
Old 10-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

It makes zero sense to have anyone apply $10 a tube dicor and pay them $150hr. As far as the roof goes, I buy only new RVs but one of the first things I do is check those seals. The "craftsmen" that put these rigs together and put on those roofs couldn't start to tell you if they actually covered everything with dicor when they finish that new roof...no idea, so you need to check right off the bat - you're doing yourself a big favor.

When you take an RV in for work provide them a punchlist of what is to be done and keep a copy. Ask the timeframe and give them your expectations. Follow up frequently - I like email for a paper trail. Never stop at the service advisor/tech level if there is an issue; escalate...always. Make personal visits to the service manager and insist on seeing the RV while it is worked on. ASK what they are doing to repair "abc" problem then look at it. When they say it is fixed and you go to get it take your list. Go over it with them and have them demonstrate every repair. If you have been involved that won't take long.

My RV has been in the shop for 2 months (in 2 days). It was supposed to be sooner but I requested a specific tech (their best, that has done work for me) so it had to wait until he finished his existing work. I've had to work with the service advisor, service manager and various levels of Keystone to get the warranty repairs I wanted. I visit the dealership weekly for a face to face with the management team and then go visit the tech to get an update. I was there today and we were under slides looking at the repairs, how it was done, why it was done and what was next. I offered my suggestions and desires, they listen and oblige. It should be out sometime the first of next week.

I just wrote and deleted a long explanation of the tap dance that takes place to get warranty work done and why dealerships anguish over doing it...but it's complicated - and long. Anyway, at the end of the day, the only person that benefits from a good warranty repair job is the owner; the only one that is going to assure that is....the owner. JMO and hope you get it squared away.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #11
Javi

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone else.. Forget the Keystone warranty and go find you a good independent RV service tech... one that doesn't sell RV's.

The one I use can arrange warranty for most of the appliances, and works with Lippert frequently.. He isn't tied up with make ready, and knows he only gets paid if I'm happy..
Old 10-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #12
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It makes zero sense to have anyone apply $10 a tube dicor and pay them $150hr. As far as the roof goes, I buy only new RVs but one of the first things I do is check those seals. The "craftsmen" that put these rigs together and put on those roofs couldn't start to tell you if they actually covered everything with dicor when they finish that new roof...no idea, so you need to check right off the bat - you're doing yourself a big favor.

When you take an RV in for work provide them a punchlist of what is to be done and keep a copy. Ask the timeframe and give them your expectations. Follow up frequently - I like email for a paper trail. Never stop at the service advisor/tech level if there is an issue; escalate...always. Make personal visits to the service manager and insist on seeing the RV while it is worked on. ASK what they are doing to repair "abc" problem then look at it. When they say it is fixed and you go to get it take your list. Go over it with them and have them demonstrate every repair. If you have been involved that won't take long.

My RV has been in the shop for 2 months (in 2 days). It was supposed to be sooner but I requested a specific tech (their best, that has done work for me) so it had to wait until he finished his existing work. I've had to work with the service advisor, service manager and various levels of Keystone to get the warranty repairs I wanted. I visit the dealership weekly for a face to face with the management team and then go visit the tech to get an update. I was there today and we were under slides looking at the repairs, how it was done, why it was done and what was next. I offered my suggestions and desires, they listen and oblige. It should be out sometime the first of next week.

I just wrote and deleted a long explanation of the tap dance that takes place to get warranty work done and why dealerships anguish over doing it...but it's complicated - and long. Anyway, at the end of the day, the only person that benefits from a good warranty repair job is the owner; the only one that is going to assure that is....the owner. JMO and hope you get it squared away.
Sorry sourdough I have to disagree with your statement about craftsmen assembling these trailers. Common assemblers doing subpar work when they get away with it. Unless the good ole quality control catches it.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:03 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebred View Post
Sorry sourdough I have to disagree with your statement about craftsmen assembling these trailers. Common assemblers doing subpar work when they get away with it. Unless the good ole quality control catches it.
The entire sentence was being facetious. "Craftsmen" isn't what those that assemble these trailers are - sadly.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:33 AM   #14
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The entire sentence was being facetious. "Craftsmen" isn't what those that assemble these trailers are - sadly.
Yes Sir I knew what you were driving at. Just giving you a hard time. Thanks 🙂
Old 10-10-2020, 04:59 AM   #15
Bill2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Gothcha! The $640 Dicor-fest would have had me steaming!

Agreed - Thanks for your advice. I’ll take care of that myself.

They won’t get a dime from me.

Just so frustrated by the ongoing awful service and lies.

Still love the Camper just not Camping World.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:41 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Agreed - Thanks for your advice. I’ll take care of that myself.

They won’t get a dime from me.

Just so frustrated by the ongoing awful service and lies.

Still love the Camper just not Camping World.
Did you get an itemized invoice from them? What was the breakdown on time and material? Did they have a tech spreading Dicor with a toothbrush?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:00 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

If the service department estimate is for "applying DICOR sealant to the roof" then $640 is OUTRAGEOUS !!!!!

On the other hand, if there is other work that needs to be done on the roof, such as clean/and reseal the roof including removing/replacing vent kits, replacing the shower skylight, repairing damaged/rotten roof decking, replacing the front cap/roof transition strip (or other such maintenance) then that $640 estimate can be a "bargain"....

EXACTLY WHAT DID THE ESTIMATE INCLUDE AND WHAT WAS TO BE DONE ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #18
Bill2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If the service department estimate is for "applying DICOR sealant to the roof" then $640 is OUTRAGEOUS !!!!!

On the other hand, if there is other work that needs to be done on the roof, such as clean/and reseal the roof including removing/replacing vent kits, replacing the shower skylight, repairing damaged/rotten roof decking, replacing the front cap/roof transition strip (or other such maintenance) then that $640 estimate can be a "bargain"....

EXACTLY WHAT DID THE ESTIMATE INCLUDE AND WHAT WAS TO BE DONE ?????
$100 for material and 4 hours labor at $135 / hour
Old 10-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
$100 for material and 4 hours labor at $135 / hour

Bill, if CW did a total roof replacement at the end of 2019 and the dicor on the edges, seams etc. looks like "hell", I would be wanting them to step up and fix it. Once they did that (replace the roof) the onus is on them IMO to make it right (bad install) since they apparently didn't the first time around and I would just not worry about "warranty" from Keystone. Dicor, properly installed, should not be looking like that in just a few months. Also I would tell them to advise when a bay is open, you will drop it off first thing in the AM and pick it up in the afternoon.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #20
dutchmensport

"Momma said, if you don't have anything nice to say about something, then don't say anything." Ok, Momma. I'll say nothing about Camping World.